Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

Why aren't people freaking out about Ebola?

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 11:43:21 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I remember when I was a kid everybody thought this would wipe out half the world's population and the CDC took extreme measures to stop the spread of it.

So why aren't people freaking out now that it's in America?

Well, I went to Alex Jones to get my answer. It turns out people should be freaking out!

http://www.infowars.com...

Nobody resort to using the genetic fallacy please. He cites government agencies and peer reviewed research in this article.

Discuss..
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 11:46:49 AM
At 8/10/2014 11:43:21 AM, Wylted wrote:
I remember when I was a kid everybody thought this would wipe out half the world's population and the CDC took extreme measures to stop the spread of it.

Well, I went to Alex Jones to get my answer. It turns out people should be freaking out!

Nobody resort to using the genetic fallacy please. He cites government agencies and peer reviewed research in this article.

Discuss..

lol after reading the Hot Zone, i was like "oh crap!" but i guess we're not freaking out because it hasn't reached the united states yet. Ebola is one of the deadliest viruses i know. It kinda does give me the chills.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 11:51:50 AM
At 8/10/2014 11:46:49 AM, Truth_seeker wrote:

Discuss..

lol after reading the Hot Zone, i was like "oh crap!" but i guess we're not freaking out because it hasn't reached the united states yet. Ebola is one of the deadliest viruses i know. It kinda does give me the chills.

I read hot zone also, and it has reached the United States. So yeah people should start panicking.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 11:59:47 AM
At 8/10/2014 11:51:50 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 8/10/2014 11:46:49 AM, Truth_seeker wrote:

Discuss..

I read hot zone also, and it has reached the United States. So yeah people should start panicking.

well, that guy's probably gone or a miracle needs to happen. The best thing to do is to isolate him. The problem is that people need to test this virus in order to get a cure.

https://www.youtube.com...

this guy tried to get the virus into the country. At first, i thought he was crazy, but now i think our country needs a vaccine or a cure for this virus.
Larly27
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2014 9:29:18 AM

Discuss..

People aren't freaking out about Ebola because there isn't really a reason to freak out. Ebola is not an airborne virus. In order to contract the virus you must come in contact with infected blood or bodily fluids. Also, in the African country of Gabon a percentage of the population has a natural means of fighting off Ebola... Its part of their immune system! Some people are immune to Ebola. People need to calm down, get a hold of themselves and start acting. Instead of a vaccine, medical researchers should be developing treatments. And instead of striking fear into the hearts of people, the media needs to start giving people the facts about Ebola. The more people know, the more prepared they can be.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2014 12:12:03 PM
At 8/14/2014 9:29:18 AM, Larly27 wrote:

Discuss..

People aren't freaking out about Ebola because there isn't really a reason to freak out. Ebola is not an airborne virus. In order to contract the virus you must come in contact with infected blood or bodily fluids. Also, in the African country of Gabon a percentage of the population has a natural means of fighting off Ebola... Its part of their immune system! Some people are immune to Ebola. People need to calm down, get a hold of themselves and start acting. Instead of a vaccine, medical researchers should be developing treatments. And instead of striking fear into the hearts of people, the media needs to start giving people the facts about Ebola. The more people know, the more prepared they can be.

Have you read HotZone? I remember when I was a kid they said it was airborne and a lot of government agencies seem to think it is or can become airborne.

When I was a kid. I remember hearing stories of Ebola wiping out entire villages. Why the change in feelings toward Ebola from 20 years ago? Can you explain that?
Larly27
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2014 1:21:59 PM
At 8/14/2014 12:12:03 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 8/14/2014 9:29:18 AM, Larly27 wrote:

Discuss..

Have you read HotZone? I remember when I was a kid they said it was airborne and a lot of government agencies seem to think it is or can become airborne.

When I was a kid. I remember hearing stories of Ebola wiping out entire villages. Why the change in feelings toward Ebola from 20 years ago? Can you explain that?

No i have not read The Hot Zone. However, i am familiar with the events on which it was based.

Airborne transmission of the disease has never been documented during any outbreak. There has been about 25 previous documented outbreaks. In a labratory generated droplet of ebola it was proven that that particular 0.8-1.2 mocrometer labratory generated droplet could be infectious as breathable. So the virus is classified as a category a biological weapon. This type of ebola is not what is in africa right now Its man made/modified.

There are 4/5 species of Ebola depending upon your source preferences. The current outbreak is dealing with EBOV, and it can and often does wipe out entire villages but that is because of the lack of knowledge about the disease, infrastructure, and culture.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2014 1:44:05 PM
I didn't know that. I was hoping somebody would enlighten me. I'll do some of my own research on it. I thought there was only 1 type.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2014 2:08:39 PM
At 8/14/2014 1:44:05 PM, Wylted wrote:
I didn't know that. I was hoping somebody would enlighten me. I'll do some of my own research on it. I thought there was only 1 type.

yeah there's several types of Ebola, but the one that is most dangerous if I can recall, can evolve to become airborne.
1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2014 2:50:18 PM
There's no need to freak out about Ebola.

Unlike most small African villages, the US has sewage systems to manage waste. Many places in Africa are rife with open sewage, allowing the virus to transmit via feces. There have also been stories in Africa where Ebola-infected corpses have been left to rot in the streets, and even some reports of bodies being thrown in wells and lakes, contaminating the water supply! Many people in Liberia who know they are infected refuse to go to hospitals where they can receive treatment and consequently are never isolated from the rest of the population.

None of this is the case in the US, so even if Ebola reaches our shores, the risk of widespread outbreak is extremely unlikely. Malaria, syphilis, AIDS and dozens of other diseases each year kill Africans at higher rates than Ebola is killing right now, yet we are not in a frenzied panic over it. I see no reason why we should freak out over Ebola.