Jump to topic:

The Little Lie of Hemorrhoids

hatshepsut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2014 5:52:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
They'll heal in a week or so. 10 million people have them. Half of all people over 50 have them. It's constipation and you strain too much. Bioflavonoids will strengthen the anal wall. And so on.

Our medical literature suffers from severe optimism bias.

The truth is, they need not have anything to do with toilet habits or constipation. The role of chair sitting in our society doesn't get much discussion, although it puts lots more damaging pressure on the rump than defecating does, and over long periods. The fact is, in middle age and up, they are one of the first and least signs your body is deteriorating. They have become your little friends for life, and you'll be back at the Preparation H counter time and again. Just be glad it's not arthritis yet.

Apparently they occur when valves in the blood and lymph vessels in the anus collapse. This is an irreversible change in tissue architecture, so things won't go back to the way they used to be. Since the valves had prevented backflow, their demise means fluid accumulates in the region, causing swelling. Each stool then scrapes the mucosal epithelium in the swollen areas, which causes most of the discomfort and bleeding.

Eventually, ulcers may form. These could be fatal in the pre-antibiotic days; King Henry VIII may have died at age 56 partly for this reason. He had an unhealed jousting wound on his thigh as well. We could dismiss him as a corpulent glutton, and indeed that's not good. Today, you can have operations on them if you have $12000 or the right insurance. But the fact is, unlike Greek gods, we aren't immortal.
hatshepsut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2014 10:34:22 PM
This has become an orphan blog thread. But I can't imagine no other sufferers are extant on DDO, and given the Botox, piercing, and other vanity stuff that passes for a health concern today, at least I'm pumping for something that is a health concern. Sometimes there are consequences. Inflammation promotes cancer in general, or the presence of a cancer can be camouflaged by surrounding inflammation. If not, then one must settle for a sore rump....

I'll only go here often enough to keep it from sinking to the Atlantic floor.
paininthenuts
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 12:04:13 PM
I get both internal and external. I am 57, and have always be loose, rather than strain. At present I have them, and my life is misery in the mornings