Jump to topic:

Women and Shaving

studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2010 6:34:31 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Most women I encounter (peers, outside friends, etc.) seem to always shave their leg hairs and armpit hairs. However, none of them never seem to shave their arms.

Personally, I think most women would look better with shaved arms. Many Hispanic women I come across have heavy dark spots of black hair on their arms, and that is a complete turn-off for me.

Essentially, I am simply asking: Why are women more prone to excluding their arms when they shave? Is there a legit reason as to why not, or the inability to use the weak hand for shaving, etc.?
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2010 6:49:24 PM
because its not a cultural norm?

generally arm hair is less dark/obvious than leg or armpit hair, so its never an issue at all.

for those with darker arm hairs, they can choose to shave or not shave; some of my friends do because they don't like the way the dark hair looks. but women with hairy arms don't get the same stigma that women with hairy legs get, so if you don't personally care so much theres no real outside pressure to conform and do it anyways.

plus legs are a more highly fetishized body part so women are more likely to take care in their appearance. i mean how often do you check out women's arms compared to legs? hehe
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2010 6:51:27 PM
Sorry, but patches of dark hair = disgusting on a woman. Good lord.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2010 7:10:49 PM
At 4/16/2010 6:51:27 PM, Kleptin wrote:

... Hair looks gross on men too.
President of DDO
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2010 7:12:05 PM
At 4/16/2010 7:10:49 PM, theLwerd wrote:

It does?
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2010 7:12:34 PM
At 4/16/2010 7:10:49 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 4/16/2010 6:51:27 PM, Kleptin wrote:

I'll amend that. Patches of dark hair on the arms of a man OR a woman = disgusting.
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2010 7:17:42 PM
SAC - I don't shave my arm hair because as belle said, it's not a cultural norm (otherwise I probably would). Why would women want yet another body part to shave or worry about unnecessarily? What body parts do men shave? Their face? Girls have to worry about hair on their face too, and under-arms, and legs, and vag, etc. It's annoying lol showers take forever, products get expensive, upkeep and maintenance is painful and also expensive (I wax). Plus, as belle also said, arm hair isn't that dark. Mine is blonde. We're culturally dispositioned to seeing leg hair on a woman and think "Ew" but we don't have that reaction to arm hair. I don't really notice hair on a women's arms. Hair there doesn't make a woman less sexy or presume that she has bad hygiene so "why bother" I guess is the general mentality. But maybe a better question is why don't MEN shave their arms? Or chest? Or back (eeewww!)? Or BALLS?! *vom*
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2010 7:18:32 PM
At 4/16/2010 7:12:34 PM, Kleptin wrote:

I'll amend that. Patches of dark hair on the arms of a man OR a woman = disgusting.

I've never noticed patches of dark hair on anyone lol. I'm sure it's there, but I guess I don't pay attention...? Or not enough to care, anyway.
President of DDO
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2010 7:18:57 PM
At 4/16/2010 6:49:24 PM, belle wrote:
because its not a cultural norm?

generally arm hair is less dark/obvious than leg or armpit hair, so its never an issue at all.

for those with darker arm hairs, they can choose to shave or not shave; some of my friends do because they don't like the way the dark hair looks. but women with hairy arms don't get the same stigma that women with hairy legs get, so if you don't personally care so much theres no real outside pressure to conform and do it anyways.

plus legs are a more highly fetishized body part so women are more likely to take care in their appearance. i mean how often do you check out women's arms compared to legs? hehe

Very true - I am a legs man myself. However, it usually makes me uncomfortable when I'm simply talking to an acquaintance while sitting down and can only get as low as her arms (this refers to the hairy arms).

My routine usually goes:

1) Legs
2) Hair (on head)
2) Curves
3) Breasts
4) Eyes / Face
5) Stomach
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2010 7:20:40 PM
Ps. I think a guy's underarms with all that hair is like THE GROSSEST THING EVER. My guy friends think it's hilarious to put deoderant on and then raise their arms at me because it makes me want to barf. It's like a poof or gigantic tuft of hair that's all matted with white sh-t on it... ew. Just ew. Yet no matter how gross that is, guys refuse to shave it lol it's hilarious how easily us women fold but guys are steadfast on remaining hairy and then even more hilarious is using that body hair as a testament to their masculinity. Hahaha. As if the 2 are related! Hilarious!
President of DDO
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2010 7:21:39 PM
I use to shave my arms. It started growing back darker and thicker when I did (as hair tends to do when you shave it), so I stopped. It's not dark or thick in general, so I realized it was stupid for me to shave it and make it start looking horrible and also to take the 20 minutes to shave everything else, then have to take even more time to shave my arms. Too much wasted time, and I didn't feel like being in the shower much longer. It's not really a social norm, as belle said, to shave your arms, so women just don't. It's a huge social pressure to shave your legs, etc. I remember girls who didn't shave by age 13 getting ridiculed by boys and girls alike. Peer pressure is a b1tch.

And I agree, L. Men look disgusting with all their hair. Especially chest/back hair.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2010 7:22:51 PM
Um. Can we not say the same thing for once? Haha. Ps. You don't have hairy arms at all lol I had no idea you ever shaved them. I'm going to come look at them now! :P
President of DDO
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2010 7:23:27 PM
At 4/16/2010 7:21:39 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
Peer pressure is a b1tch.

I think it's overrated.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2010 7:25:44 PM
At 4/16/2010 7:23:46 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Yap! You've got bald arms pretty much lol <3

Haha, I know, that's why I stopped shaving :p No point
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2010 7:28:36 PM
At 4/16/2010 7:23:27 PM, Reasoning wrote:

I think it's overrated.

I think it's one of the most powerful things on the planet.

Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2010 7:41:49 PM
At 4/16/2010 7:28:36 PM, Kleptin wrote:

Not at all.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2010 8:05:53 PM
At 4/16/2010 7:41:49 PM, Reasoning wrote:

Not at all.

Oh, I stand corrected. <--Sarcasm

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2010 8:08:07 PM
At 4/16/2010 7:23:27 PM, Reasoning wrote:

I think it's overrated.

It's certainly very influential, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's one of the most powerful things on the planet. Still, yea, it's influence is felt in just about everything - cultural norms, gender roles, etc. Though remember that someone like Ragnar for instance doesn't even think mind control exists or is possible. Haha. So I assume Reasoning is of similar thought.
President of DDO
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2010 8:19:18 PM
It's a huge social pressure to shave your legs, etc. I remember girls who didn't shave by age 13 getting ridiculed by boys and girls alike. Peer pressure is a b1tch.

tru dat. i remember when i was 15 and too lazy to shave a 12 year old called me out on it. lol

And I agree, L. Men look disgusting with all their hair. Especially chest/back hair.

back hair is pretty gnarly but some chest hair is ok... it depends. and ya gotta love the happy trail!

http://i15.tinypic.com...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2010 8:34:09 PM
When I actually grow noticeable chest / stomach hair, I'm planning on shaving it off. So far, I'm only on a little shadow on my upper lip and bunch of hairs on my chin, so I have a lot more to accomplish ;)
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2010 8:36:23 PM
At 4/16/2010 8:19:18 PM, belle wrote:

back hair is pretty gnarly but some chest hair is ok... it depends. and ya gotta love the happy trail!

Admittedly, I find some of that to be sexy... but I was talking more along the lines of chest hair that is so long and abundant that it curls lol. And a happy trail if I'm not mistaken is only supposed to be about 2 inches long haha the guy in that pic has one down his whole stomach! He must be really happy :P
President of DDO
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2010 8:44:45 PM
At 4/16/2010 8:08:07 PM, theLwerd wrote:
It's certainly very influential, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's one of the most powerful things on the planet. Still, yea, it's influence is felt in just about everything - cultural norms, gender roles, etc. Though remember that someone like Ragnar for instance doesn't even think mind control exists or is possible. Haha. So I assume Reasoning is of similar thought.

I don't want to live in a world where peer pressure holds no power over people. I'd commit suicide if I had to live in a world where everyone thought that they were philosopher kings.

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2010 8:45:15 PM
At 4/16/2010 8:19:18 PM, belle wrote:

tru dat. i remember when i was 15 and too lazy to shave a 12 year old called me out on it. lol

Haha I started shaving my legs in 4th grade. I remember this one time in 6th grade I hadn't shaved my legs for almost a week, and I fell and got hurt during a softball game. One of my friend's moms was there and she was a nurse, so she asked to see my leg because it was sprained really bad. Well, I was so embarrassed that I didn't shave (I was 12) that I REFUSED to let her look at it! I told my mom to take me to the hospital instead lol... and I told her to take me home FIRST. My mom was like wtf? I told her it was because I had to pee. Then I made my step-dad carry me upstairs to the bathroom and he was like... Why not use the downstairs one? Obv I had no razor in the downstairs bathroom. Anyway, I was in sooo much pain and could barely move at all, yet I sat there and HURT MYSELF (cut myself) shaving because I had to shave outside of the bath so with just soap and no water and it was dry and just UGH. I mean it's a lil ridiculous when a 12 y/o goes to that length all for a tiny bit of leg hair lol but I wasn't about to destroy my reputation :P So silly!
President of DDO
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2010 8:45:42 PM
At 4/16/2010 8:34:09 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
When I actually grow noticeable chest / stomach hair, I'm planning on shaving it off. So far, I'm only on a little shadow on my upper lip and bunch of hairs on my chin, so I have a lot more to accomplish ;)

I'm genetically streamlined. No hair for me XD

Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2010 8:47:56 PM
At 4/16/2010 8:45:15 PM, theLwerd wrote:
I remember this one time in 6th grade I hadn't shaved my legs for almost a week

How often do you normally shave your legs?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2010 8:48:51 PM
At 4/16/2010 8:44:45 PM, Kleptin wrote:

I don't want to live in a world where peer pressure holds no power over people. I'd commit suicide if I had to live in a world where everyone thought that they were philosopher kings.

Who said anything about that? Conscientia mille testes. Conscience is as good as 1,000 witnesses.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2010 8:50:11 PM
At 4/16/2010 8:47:56 PM, Reasoning wrote:

About every 3 days. It's not that my hair grows fast; I just like really smooth legs.
President of DDO
True2GaGa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2010 8:52:10 PM
At 4/16/2010 8:50:11 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 4/16/2010 8:47:56 PM, Reasoning wrote:

About every 3 days. It's not that my hair grows fast; I just like really smooth legs.

Same. I can't stand hairy legs *shudders*