Jump to topic:

Ending Life When You Want

maliajones18
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 12:20:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Euthanasia and physician assisted suicide are both wrong. Let me explain my reasoning. Euthanasia cheapens love! It turns what love SHOULD be into conditional love. It shouldn't be seen "an escape" from suffering because it causes more suffering for the loved ones of the person who wants to end their life. We should endure our physical suffering and find meaning in it. Euthanasia is unnatural, and we should only have a natural death. We didn't choose when we were born so we can't choose when we die. Life is a gift and we must treat it that way.
MsIndependent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2014 2:52:55 AM
At 11/2/2014 12:20:15 PM, maliajones18 wrote:
Euthanasia and physician assisted suicide are both wrong. Let me explain my reasoning. Euthanasia cheapens love! It turns what love SHOULD be into conditional love. It shouldn't be seen "an escape" from suffering because it causes more suffering for the loved ones of the person who wants to end their life. We should endure our physical suffering and find meaning in it. Euthanasia is unnatural, and we should only have a natural death. We didn't choose when we were born so we can't choose when we die. Life is a gift and we must treat it that way.

I agree. Although I admit I can't speak from their perspective, my heart goes out to the family, and I do not judge, it is wrong. It's suicide. And what if her healing was around the corner?
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 10:36:12 PM
At 11/2/2014 12:20:15 PM, maliajones18 wrote:

I would have agreed with this for the first 40 years of my life, but no longer. What happened to the ideal of "it's your life - grab hold of it!?" Truly, though, this is my reason. A month before my 40th birthday I was afflicted with a condition which causes extreme chronic pain. At the time I owned my own business, had a wonderful family with a beautiful wife and three children, and was surrounded by friends of the highest caliber. The effects of the pain (and the necessary meds) totally changed me. I lost it all. That was twelve years ago.

For all that time I have been holding-on because of what the alternative might mean to my children. My wife is history, as are my business and friends. I rarely see my kids. I actually do have a woman (a nurse) who wants to marry me despite my condition, but is it fair to do that to her? When I was a young man I used to always say that suicide was stupid, since the one thing we know for certain is that we are all going to die some day. But now I am much more aware (and appreciative) of what a curse life can really be. If a person is in so much pain that life has lost its appeal, why put them through the fear and disgrace of having to commit suicide? Why not simply give them what they wish?