Total Posts:27|Showing Posts:1-27
Jump to topic:

Self-Harm

Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 5:21:16 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I've always been a pretty happy guy and lucky in life to have never had to consider hurting myself or ending my life.

For the past 8 hours, I've been hiccuping almost non-stop. It started at noon and it is currently 8:00. People on the street gave me strange looks, by friends laughed at me, ridiculed me, made light of my suffering.

I admit, it's hilarious for the first few minutes, maybe even for an hour. But as time went by, hour after hour, and now, at 8:15PM, I'm at my wit's end. It goes for an hour or two, stops for 15 minutes, and starts up again.

This incessant hiccuping is no less than torture. I can't get anything done, I can't speak properly, I can't focus on the mound of work that I have to do, and I couldn't even take a nap from the exhaustion of 8 hours of hiccuping.

The muscles around my diaphragm are cramped, I'm peeing every 5 minutes because I drank almost a gallon of water. I feel helpless. I can't even go to the doctor or the emergency room because I'm sure I'll get laughed right out and charged a couple hundred dollars for it.

At this point, I've lost all rationality. I actually gave considerable thought to driving a knife into my chest in the hopes that it would stop the hiccups. I don't even know why I'm posting this here. Probably because I figure my last ties to rationality are to this site.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
DontBeRacist
Posts: 584
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 5:22:47 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/27/2010 5:21:16 PM, Kleptin wrote:
I've always been a pretty happy guy and lucky in life to have never had to consider hurting myself or ending my life.

For the past 8 hours, I've been hiccuping almost non-stop. It started at noon and it is currently 8:00. People on the street gave me strange looks, by friends laughed at me, ridiculed me, made light of my suffering.

I admit, it's hilarious for the first few minutes, maybe even for an hour. But as time went by, hour after hour, and now, at 8:15PM, I'm at my wit's end. It goes for an hour or two, stops for 15 minutes, and starts up again.

This incessant hiccuping is no less than torture. I can't get anything done, I can't speak properly, I can't focus on the mound of work that I have to do, and I couldn't even take a nap from the exhaustion of 8 hours of hiccuping.

The muscles around my diaphragm are cramped, I'm peeing every 5 minutes because I drank almost a gallon of water. I feel helpless. I can't even go to the doctor or the emergency room because I'm sure I'll get laughed right out and charged a couple hundred dollars for it.

At this point, I've lost all rationality. I actually gave considerable thought to driving a knife into my chest in the hopes that it would stop the hiccups. I don't even know why I'm posting this here. Probably because I figure my last ties to rationality are to this site.

Eat peanut butter.
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 5:24:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/27/2010 5:22:47 PM, DontBeRacist wrote:
Eat peanut butter.

Any suggestion available on the internet has been done at least twice. There's no need to make any more recommendations.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 5:24:41 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
hmm you think the spread of self-harm behaviors amongst teens is caused by epic hiccups? its certainly an original hypothesis.... let us know how it goes!
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
DontBeRacist
Posts: 584
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 5:25:46 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/27/2010 5:24:10 PM, Kleptin wrote:
At 4/27/2010 5:22:47 PM, DontBeRacist wrote:
Eat peanut butter.

Any suggestion available on the internet has been done at least twice. There's no need to make any more recommendations.

I'm sorry. Just trying to show support and take your mind off of things.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 5:25:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/27/2010 5:21:16 PM, Kleptin wrote:
At this point, I've lost all rationality. I actually gave considerable thought to driving a knife into my chest in the hopes that it would stop the hiccups. I don't even know why I'm posting this here. Probably because I figure my last ties to rationality are to this site.

F**k Rationality.

But don't be a pitiful drama queen and off yourself over this... they're hiccups. lol.

I could see the thought passing through someone's head if it lasted several weeks... months.. years... but I think your being rather silly if this is only the first day.

Prolly be gone in the mornin. :)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 5:28:52 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/27/2010 5:21:16 PM, Kleptin wrote:
This incessant hiccuping is no less than torture.

Ehh. I don't think it's fair to compare incessant hiccuping to torture.

At this point, I've lost all rationality. I actually gave considerable thought to driving a knife into my chest in the hopes that it would stop the hiccups. I don't even know why I'm posting this here. Probably because I figure my last ties to rationality are to this site.

Don't hurt yourself. What would that do? You'd either (a) kill yourself or (b) cause more harm and problems. I'd suggest sleeping out with a friend tonight so you don't hurt yourself. If the hiccuping continues in the morning, go see your physician.
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 5:37:57 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I never really wanted to *kill* myself. I just greatly entertained the notion of lodging something into my diaphragm to make the damn hiccups stop. The unfortunate side effect though, is that I stop breathing.

I guess I'll occupy my brain by making a list of disorders I consider to be worse than unending hiccups.

First up, Parkinson's Disease- Uncontrolled body movement. Just as annoying. Debilitating and socially humiliating. However, it usually only occurs in people 50+ and there are medications for it.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 5:51:38 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
EVERY TIME I AND ALL MY FRIENDS DO THIS IT WORKS!

Step 1: Put water in your mouth. Don't drink it.

Step 2: Hold your breath for as long you can.

Step 3: Before breathing gulp down the water.

Step 4: Immediately try to burp. You don't have to, but just try really hard.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 6:01:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/27/2010 5:51:38 PM, FREEDO wrote:
EVERY TIME I AND ALL MY FRIENDS DO THIS IT WORKS!

Step 1: Put water in your mouth. Don't drink it.

Step 2: Hold your breath for as long you can.

Step 3: Before breathing gulp down the water.

Step 4: Immediately try to burp. You don't have to, but just try really hard.

Errrr... I've always tried just holding my breath. Like, just holding my breath. Not any of the rest of that voodoo stuff.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
lastrequest691
Posts: 339
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 6:04:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I remember when my sister did that to me but I let it go because I will never drop down to her level.

She is a dog, I am a Lion.
Lions do not care how much dogs bark. Do they ?
"That song was absolutely waste of talent; you sounded like a wounded animal and who told you to play the guitar by yourself." Simon Cowell
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 6:05:26 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/27/2010 6:04:34 PM, lastrequest691 wrote:
I remember when my sister did that to me but I let it go because I will never drop down to her level.

She is a dog, I am a Lion.
Lions do not care how much dogs bark. Do they ?

*scratches head*
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 6:09:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/27/2010 5:44:16 PM, DontBeRacist wrote:
If I had Parkinsons Disease I would become a breakdancer

Some of them actually do try dancing, but as the disease progresses, they eventually move at a snail's pace. They can't even tap their feet at a rate more than once every 3 seconds :(
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 6:11:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/27/2010 6:01:15 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 4/27/2010 5:51:38 PM, FREEDO wrote:
EVERY TIME I AND ALL MY FRIENDS DO THIS IT WORKS!

Step 1: Put water in your mouth. Don't drink it.

Step 2: Hold your breath for as long you can.

Step 3: Before breathing gulp down the water.

Step 4: Immediately try to burp. You don't have to, but just try really hard.

Errrr... I've always tried just holding my breath. Like, just holding my breath. Not any of the rest of that voodoo stuff.

But that hardly ever works.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
DontBeRacist
Posts: 584
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 6:13:53 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/27/2010 6:09:10 PM, Kleptin wrote:
At 4/27/2010 5:44:16 PM, DontBeRacist wrote:
If I had Parkinsons Disease I would become a breakdancer

Some of them actually do try dancing, but as the disease progresses, they eventually move at a snail's pace. They can't even tap their feet at a rate more than once every 3 seconds :(

This is the disease where people get the little shakes right? 2lzy4gugle.
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 6:14:22 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/27/2010 6:09:10 PM, Kleptin wrote:
At 4/27/2010 5:44:16 PM, DontBeRacist wrote:
If I had Parkinsons Disease I would become a breakdancer

Some of them actually do try dancing, but as the disease progresses, they eventually move at a snail's pace. They can't even tap their feet at a rate more than once every 3 seconds :(

music helps though!

supposedly music therapy can work small wonders...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 8:21:16 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/27/2010 6:14:22 PM, belle wrote:
At 4/27/2010 6:09:10 PM, Kleptin wrote:
At 4/27/2010 5:44:16 PM, DontBeRacist wrote:
If I had Parkinsons Disease I would become a breakdancer

Some of them actually do try dancing, but as the disease progresses, they eventually move at a snail's pace. They can't even tap their feet at a rate more than once every 3 seconds :(

music helps though!

supposedly music therapy can work small wonders...

Music really is therapeutic. It has an affect on people psychologically and that can impact them somatically as well :)
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
tmoney225
Posts: 168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 8:27:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/27/2010 5:21:16 PM, Kleptin wrote:
I've always been a pretty happy guy and lucky in life to have never had to consider hurting myself or ending my life.

For the past 8 hours, I've been hiccuping almost non-stop. It started at noon and it is currently 8:00. People on the street gave me strange looks, by friends laughed at me, ridiculed me, made light of my suffering.

I admit, it's hilarious for the first few minutes, maybe even for an hour. But as time went by, hour after hour, and now, at 8:15PM, I'm at my wit's end. It goes for an hour or two, stops for 15 minutes, and starts up again.

This incessant hiccuping is no less than torture. I can't get anything done, I can't speak properly, I can't focus on the mound of work that I have to do, and I couldn't even take a nap from the exhaustion of 8 hours of hiccuping.

The muscles around my diaphragm are cramped, I'm peeing every 5 minutes because I drank almost a gallon of water. I feel helpless. I can't even go to the doctor or the emergency room because I'm sure I'll get laughed right out and charged a couple hundred dollars for it.

At this point, I've lost all rationality. I actually gave considerable thought to driving a knife into my chest in the hopes that it would stop the hiccups. I don't even know why I'm posting this here. Probably because I figure my last ties to rationality are to this site.

if you are still in this plight just tell yourself to stop hiccuping. Start thinking in and out as you breathe. Hiccuping has to do with a malfunction in the nerve signals from the brain.
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 10:01:42 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
So, the hiccups are back. No sleep for me tonight. Yay.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2010 4:49:53 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
"Man kills himself to get rid of hiccups"

That would make the news, I'll tell you that right now.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2010 5:21:47 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At around 2AM (14 hours after the hiccups first started), I dug into my mom's medicine box hoping to find some sleeping pills to knock myself out cold (I was hiccuping in my bed and they were so violent that it was impossible for me to drift off). I came across a bottle of cyclobenzaprine and remembered from class that they relaxed skeletal muscles. The diaphragm is smooth muscle, but I figured I would try it anyway.

So I took one cyclobenzaprine and a smaller dose of diphenhydramine, and 15 minutes later the hiccups stopped and I conked right out.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 6:13:40 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/1/2010 5:21:47 PM, Kleptin wrote:
At around 2AM (14 hours after the hiccups first started), I dug into my mom's medicine box hoping to find some sleeping pills to knock myself out cold (I was hiccuping in my bed and they were so violent that it was impossible for me to drift off). I came across a bottle of cyclobenzaprine and remembered from class that they relaxed skeletal muscles. The diaphragm is smooth muscle, but I figured I would try it anyway.

So I took one cyclobenzaprine and a smaller dose of diphenhydramine, and 15 minutes later the hiccups stopped and I conked right out.

I guess that's one more reason why I should pay more attention in biology class.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.