Jump to topic:

Protein Shake opinions?

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2014 8:59:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
So I've been suggested Protein shakes to help when I work out and such to help build muscle. What are ya'lls suggestions? Do you have any expirence with them?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Nymphomaniac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2014 10:12:02 PM
I hate protein shakes. They taste like crap and you can build muscle just as well with tasty foods like chicken or steak.
Fill all my holes, please.

http://www.debate.org...

: At 11/17/2014 9:30:55 AM, Wylted wrote:
: I killed Nymph because her reads were incredibly good. I thought it was a result of inside knowledge.
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2014 11:49:13 PM
At 12/14/2014 8:59:46 PM, lannan13 wrote:
So I've been suggested Protein shakes to help when I work out and such to help build muscle. What are ya'lls suggestions? Do you have any expirence with them?

Protein shakes, in my opinion and what pervasively works, should be secondary to the diet. When I was training a couple of years ago for a competition, I was drinking shakes 2-3 times a day, including muscle milk, BSN's synth 6, and I was gaining a load of weight. However the weight I was gaining was a ratio of 2-1 (fat to muscle) which I did not prefer. This was not due to the shakes, but my terrible diet. My senior year in college I was training for a powerlifting meet, and I was not taking any protein shakes yet gained 5 pounds in about 5 months. I had my Exercise Science major friends, analyze my body fat and I had actually only gained about a pound of fat during the process.

Yet then again, everyone's metabolic rate varies. What worked for me could be contradicting advice for you. If you are an already lean, or relatively lean individual, protein shakes could yield optimal results. They are not necessary for muscle development, nor are they completely useless. I suggest diet first, and then consider protein. Optimum Nutrition is a recommendation if you are interested.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 6:07:23 AM
At 12/14/2014 10:12:02 PM, Nymphomaniac wrote:
I hate protein shakes. They taste like crap and you can build muscle just as well with tasty foods like chicken or steak.

I would, but my family cannot afford steak and egg dinner every night.

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

Nymphomaniac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 12:20:22 PM
At 12/15/2014 6:07:23 AM, lannan13 wrote:

You can get organic free range chicken for 3 bucks a pound. That's pretty affordable, if you ask me.
Fill all my holes, please.

http://www.debate.org...

: At 11/17/2014 9:30:55 AM, Wylted wrote:
: I killed Nymph because her reads were incredibly good. I thought it was a result of inside knowledge.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 12:22:17 PM
So I have been suggested Protein shakes to help when I work out and such to help build muscle. What are your suggestions? Do you have any experience with them?

Drink wheat grass or whatever.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 1:14:45 PM
At 12/15/2014 12:20:22 PM, Nymphomaniac wrote:

You can get organic free range chicken for 3 bucks a pound. That's pretty affordable, if you ask me.

Didn't know tha

intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 5:37:34 PM
At 12/15/2014 1:14:45 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 12/15/2014 12:20:22 PM, Nymphomaniac wrote:

Didn't know tha

Your body doesn't need steak or eggs to build muscle anyways. Sweet potatoes, walnuts, almonds, fish, quinoa (a grain).
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2014 9:03:25 AM

They work, or better said, they help. But they won't do the work for you, nor they are miraculous on its effects. Overall, I would say they make u gain muscle maybe 10-15% faster.
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 3:48:33 PM
At 12/18/2014 9:03:25 AM, Otokage wrote:

They work, or better said, they help. But they won't do the work for you, nor they are miraculous on its effects. Overall, I would say they make u gain muscle maybe 10-15% faster.

I disagree with the percentage you provided. Extra protein does not "speed" up the rate of muscle development. Protein is required for muscle maintenance and development, but does not speed the process up.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 3:51:18 PM
At 12/22/2014 3:48:33 PM, intellectuallyprimitive wrote:

I disagree with the percentage you provided. Extra protein does not "speed" up the rate of muscle development. Protein is required for muscle maintenance and development, but does not speed the process up.

Well I really felt I was gaining muscle a little bit faster when I used them. But maybe it was just me.
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 3:52:35 PM
At 12/22/2014 3:51:18 PM, Otokage wrote:

Well I really felt I was gaining muscle a little bit faster when I used them. But maybe it was just me.

You were gaining muscle as fast as your body permitted, with or without the protein. The protein shakes may have allowed your body to gain slightly more muscle, but had nothing to do with the speed.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 4:49:01 PM
At 12/22/2014 3:52:35 PM, intellectuallyprimitive wrote:

You were gaining muscle as fast as your body permitted, with or without the protein. The protein shakes may have allowed your body to gain slightly more muscle, but had nothing to do with the speed.

Although from a biochemical perspective, the more aminoacids the cell has, the faster will it make proteins, at least untill the enzimes are saturated and maximum synthesis speed is reached. So what exactly would be the mechanism that stops you from gain muscle faster?
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 4:59:06 PM
At 12/22/2014 4:49:01 PM, Otokage wrote:
At 12/22/2014 3:52:35 PM, intellectuallyprimitive wrote:

Although from a biochemical perspective, the more aminoacids the cell has, the faster will it make proteins, at least untill the enzimes are saturated and maximum synthesis speed is reached. So what exactly would be the mechanism that stops you from gain muscle faster?

Not faster, more efficiently. The recovery process and other genetic/hormonal factors, determines how fast the body develops muscle, which protein consumption indirectly affects. Neglecting the recovery process; sleep, and nutrition will hinder the body's ability to develop muscle, efficiently.
Fagot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 5:59:43 AM

protein shakes do help your training. you need protein when you train to your muscles, if you don't get enough protein the traning will not do anything. you drink protein shakes to make sure you get enough proteins.
KiDos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2015 2:07:30 PM
All the proteins your body needs can be find it from a natural sources. If indeed you feel weak or you feel your muscles are not growing up as you wish, the reason could be because the food putting in your plate is not enough healthy so your body may be using other kind energy sources from your muscles and saving fat, sugars (carbohydrates) and proteins in the wrong places (around organs).
You can keep making exercise all your life and keep a diet of lower calories, but you will not probably see your muscles growing.
What I recommend is check the food in your plate (as more natural you can) avoid all the artificiall sources as well, and then, start to work out.
Leave a healthy life is not easy! But you has been giving up bad habits, didn't you? So let's keep working that and the body you want will come as a result of a great healthy life.
The best!