Jump to topic:

Advice?

InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2010 5:44:58 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Ok, so this is the second night in a row where I haven't slept at night. I tried to be in bed by 2 AM, but ended up getting up again on the basis that I couldn't sleep. It's now almost 6 AM and I still haven't slept. Any advice on how I can get to sleep at a reasonable time?
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2010 5:51:25 AM
Eat earlier at night, exercise during the day, remove sources of light nearing bedtime, don't stay in your bedroom during the day/evening. If you try and sleep and find you can't after 20mins or so, then get up, leave bed, read for a while, try again.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2010 5:51:56 AM
Couple of my methods:

- Listen to music: Usually takes my mind off actuality sleeping and then I fall asleep. I would advise blues, or something Hippy-ish, anything that's slow and lazy really.

- Fapping: It works for me because: 1. I become exhausted, 2. My brain tells me to sleep and 3. There's a sudden blood rush to my head. Idk if it works for chicks, but you might as well try it.

- Lavender oil: Putting some on your pillow apparently makes you sleepy.

- Caffeine: Avoid any soda drinks (Yes, even diet) as they are filled with caffeine, which obviously makes you alert. Then obviously avoid Coffee and whatnot. The only exception is Diet Caffeine-free coke, the bronze cans.

- Bath: A bath can relax you, and a long one drains blood from your head (Or the other way around) to make you feel weak, which helps you sleep.

- Food rush: Going on an empty stomach for 6 hours, feeling extremely hungry, and then having a big meal (Filled with carbohydrates) will give you that food coma effect.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2010 5:57:07 AM
At 5/29/2010 5:53:14 AM, Puck wrote:
Eh, digestion and sleep not the best mix.

Every had a full roast dinner and fall asleep straight afterwards
CrysisPillar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2010 8:07:07 AM
At 5/29/2010 5:44:58 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Ok, so this is the second night in a row where I haven't slept at night. I tried to be in bed by 2 AM, but ended up getting up again on the basis that I couldn't sleep. It's now almost 6 AM and I still haven't slept. Any advice on how I can get to sleep at a reasonable time?

I had the same problem, and my phsician recommended this:
It's sort of hard to explan..but as you're lying down before you go to sleep, scrunch up your toes, and keep it that way, then tighten the muscles in your legs. Keep doing this throughout your body all at once, and hold it for about 30 seconds, then relax. It calms you down.

And, if that doesn't work...

Never use your bed as a place to do homework or anything else. You need to get your mind to realize that bed (or wherever you sleep) is only for sleeping, and nothing else.

Hope I've helped at least a little
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2010 10:02:46 AM
try melatonin! its like 5-6 dollars at any grocery store, you can find it with the supplements. its a hormone that helps to reugulate your circadian rhythm. i take it if i know i am going to be trying to go to bed earlier than normal. about an hour before i want to sleep... i am still extremely suspicious that it might be the placebo effect lol but hey, either way it helps me sleep!

the other thing is to wake up early no matter what. so if you plan on sleeping at 2 and waking up at 10, even if you end up staying awake til 6, set the alarm for 10 and FORCE YOURSELF TO GET UP. seriously. i always have trouble pulling this one off because once i fall asleep i reeeeeeeeeally love staying that way.... but its worth it, it really helps. because then (if you don't take a nap anyways) by the time it gets late, around bedtime, you are more tired so its easier for you to fall asleep.

hmmm what else... i guess just the obvious. don't think about trying to fall asleep! lol.. try to let your mind drift...

and thats all i can think of. good luck.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2010 10:40:41 AM
What you should do is get out of bed by 6 am. Then stay up all day with no naps what so ever. When 7 o clock comes around don't have any sugar. Get in bed at 1 am.

I have not been able to sleep lately so this is what I have been doing. But my problem is I have a lot on my mind so I can't fall asleep.
kfc
Atheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2010 6:08:00 PM
Yeah, Koopin's advice is good. I usually don't get to bed until, like, 4:00 AM (includes school days), so I am always exhausted. Stay up two or three days in a row, force myself to stay away until 8:00 PM, and then drop like a rock.
I miss the old members.
lastrequest691
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 7:20:09 AM
Curse them.

I always curse them that took away my sleep for 7-8 hours. I curse them in the name of the Lord so it will take place someday- I just have to wait and see who did this to me when the curse takes its effect.

I usually curse them with 1,000 different curses in one night.

You don't want to take my sleep away.
"That song was absolutely waste of talent; you sounded like a wounded animal and who told you to play the guitar by yourself." Simon Cowell
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 7:21:05 AM
At 6/4/2010 7:20:09 AM, lastrequest691 wrote:
Curse them.

I always curse them that took away my sleep for 7-8 hours. I curse them in the name of the Lord so it will take place someday- I just have to wait and see who did this to me when the curse takes its effect.

She needs advice for humans.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 1:56:58 PM
At 6/4/2010 7:21:05 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 6/4/2010 7:20:09 AM, lastrequest691 wrote:
Curse them.

She needs advice for humans.

You should enter comedy Mirza.