Jump to topic:

Jannah - Advice for good sleep

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2010 7:03:38 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I have given some tips before, and there are some good ones in your thread already, but I will make a few elaborative arguments.

1. Ruling on caffeine

Coffee, tea, energy drinks, etc., all have decent amounts of caffeine. I suggest sleeping around 10:00-10:30PM, which would mean that you should not consume any caffeine products after 4PM. However, there is one tea that you can make exceptional. I will address it below.

2. Drink chamomile tea

Chamomile tea is very mild and sedative. It should not include caffeine. Drinking a up of mildly warm chamomile tea 10-15 minutes before going to bed will help in relaxing and relieving anxiety. It will help you fall asleep faster. However, avoid putting any sugar.

3. Avoid eating 4 hours before sleeping

Meat and other heavy food products should not be consumed a couple of hours before going to bed. Anything containing sugar should also be avoided. However, it is not wise to go hungry to bed, so it is a good idea to eat a little of something light. Salad with some bread is good, but try to avoid eating even food like this one hour before going to bed, save the chamomile tea.

4. Be active throughout the day

About one hour of some form of exercise is recommended every day. Run, walk, or anything similar, for at least one hour per day. Do not go to the extremes, though. Everything should be done in moderate amounts. Remember to drink a lot of water to keep yourself freshly functioning.

5. Eat healthy food

Too much fat, too much sugar, too much caffeine, avoid all of this. This includes too much meat, candy, soda drinks (try to avoid them), and so on. Eat a lot of fruit (with variety), and also salad. About 600g in total of both, every day, is sufficient. If you need instant energy, do not buy an energy drink, since the amount of caffeine is too high, which can actually cause stress, simply eat a banana or two. Bananas somehow give energy in no time.

If you want to drink something fresh, buy a juice extractor machine[1], and drink the juice as fresh as possible. I have a machine myself, and it serves me well. Fresh juice from the fruits, no additional chemicals. I will make a list of good food throughout the day below.

6. Keep a sleeping cycle

I believe that the reason why you cannot sleep early is mostly due to a bad habit. If you get used to sleeping at one point, then you will probably have a hard time sleeping earlier. As I said earlier, going to bed around 10PM is positive. Make sure you sleep 9 hours, no less or more. Numerous studies show that sleeping 9 hours is best. Sleeping around 6-7 hours will make you exhausted, weaken your memory, cause confusion, disturb concentration, and so forth. One would think that sleeping too much will annul all of this, but that is not true. Sleeping 12 hours will probably bring the same unwanted effects, although one may experience them in a different way. Instead of being physically exhausted, one may be more mentally exhausted.

By sleeping from 10PM to 7AM, you will be fresh and fully functioning. Your day will last much longer in your head, because you will feel fresh, active, healthy, and so on. Check the following sources: [2][3]

7. Sleep under good conditions

Too much heat, cold, unclear air, etc., are affecting your sleep in a bad way. Make sure there is no light in your room, nor any sounds. However, you should not mind any sounds from rain etc., since they can be quite relaxing. Make sure you clean your room at least once every week, especially near your bed. I would also suggest that you change the sheets every second week, or at least clean them.

For very clean air, you can use an air filter. There are some good ones, and most are probably too costly for you now, but if you can save up some money, you can buy an air filter at a reasonable price.[4]

One of the most common reasons for why people get pain in the neck and back, and also feel tired, is due to bad position while sleeping. The head needs to be in a good position, along with the neck, so that the entire body, particularly the spinal cord, can rest properly. A good pillow is recommended for the good effect. There are some good chiropractic pillows, and the prices are fair.[5]

8. Avoid use of multimedia before sleep

At least one hour before going to bed, you should stop watching TV or using the computer. Instead, choose the clothes you want to wear the next day, make a schedule for it, read a book, make sure you do all the needed tasks for the next day, and so on. Watching a movie before bed generates random thoughts, disturbs the relaxation, and so on, especially if it is a horror movie, or a drama. On the Internet, you may participate in a heated debate, and that can take away a lot of your time, and also cause stress. Avoid all of this.

Although many people would recommend listening to some music before sleep, I would say that if you wish to do that then avoid ones with lyrics. However, I believe that natural sounds are, in fact, better than relaxing music. You can easily find some playlists of natural sounds. I have posted a video in another thread.[6]

If you cannot fall asleep, then instead of turning on the television, read something or do some minor work, like solving a sudoku pattern.

-- What to eat --

• Morning

It happens that in the morning, one has loss of appetite. This is mostly due to low amounts of sleep. Start by drinking something fresh, such as water, and do a few exercises. It can help in giving you some appetite so that you can eat.

Recommended food:

-Oatmeal [7]
-Fresh juice
-Some fruit, such as banana
-Muesli (mix with simple oatmeal) [8]
-A pill of fish oil

This should boost your energy, and help a lot in creating a fresh day for you. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and it is therefore important to have enough of it.

• Lunch

Make sure you eat a lot of fruits and salad on this part.

Recommended food:

-Sandwich with meat and salad. Use some extra ingredients like ketchup or mayonnaise
-Fruit and juice
-Rice, potato, macaroni
-Yoghurt
-Crispbread with extra ingredients, such as butter.

• Dinner

At a couple of hours before going to bed. Make sure there are variations in food.

Recommended food:

-Soup
-Meat, rice, etc.
-Salad
-Yoghurt, fruit
-Juice

Take a look at the list of healthy food. [9]

• Eat every hour

Dinner is not enough to keep you sated until you go to bed, so it is always a good idea to eat something that is light, and not heavy, so that your body does not hunger for food, but neither gets exhausted by too much of it. After 12PM, it is a good idea to eat every hour. No major food, but a few healthy snacks.

-Piece of fruit. Apple, berries, banana, pear, orange, strawberry, etc. One fruit at a time is sufficient. Make sure there are variations.
-Crispbread
-Ryebread
-Water

If you follow all of this as much as you can, you will live healthily, and you will have a sleep of much better quality. I hope this helps.

-- References --

[1]http://www.amazon.com...
[2]http://www.thaimedicalnews.com...
[3]http://www.stanford.edu...
[4]http://www.amazon.com...
[5]http://www.amazon.com...
[6]http://www.debate.org...
[7]http://en.wikipedia.org...
[8]http://en.wikipedia.org...
[9]http://www.whfoods.com...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2010 7:07:53 PM
Fapping seems to be missing.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2010 7:10:10 PM
At 5/29/2010 7:07:53 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

HAHAAHA! ROFL!
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2010 7:11:51 PM

That's for Mirza's private version. Not applicable for Insert.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2010 7:13:32 PM
At 5/29/2010 7:11:51 PM, Volkov wrote:

True. The female version of the word is "frapping," not "fapping."

http://www.urbandictionary.com...
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2010 7:20:50 PM
At 5/29/2010 7:13:32 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 5/29/2010 7:11:51 PM, Volkov wrote:

True. The female version of the word is "frapping," not "fapping."

That's bull, the term is shikking.

Notice the lack of contrary definitions and the vastly greater approval rate:

It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2010 7:23:40 PM
I didn't think it could be "frapping," that's just adding an "r" to fapping. Not very clever if you ask me.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2010 7:24:04 PM
At 5/29/2010 7:20:50 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
That's bull, the term is shikking.

Notice the lack of contrary definitions and the vastly greater approval rate:

Haha, whatever man. I'm not an expert on these kinds of terms. XD
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2010 7:25:45 PM
At 5/29/2010 7:23:40 PM, Volkov wrote:
I didn't think it could be "frapping," that's just adding an "r" to fapping. Not very clever if you ask me.

Especially considering how the term is supposed to be an imiatation of the sound made while doing it.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2010 7:26:20 PM
At 5/29/2010 7:25:45 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 5/29/2010 7:23:40 PM, Volkov wrote:

Especially considering how the term is supposed to be an imiatation of the sound made while doing it.
amendment, the sound made by doing it, not "OHGODING"
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2010 7:28:08 PM
At 5/29/2010 7:27:21 PM, Mirza wrote:
Thank you all very much for the... information!

Now back to normal...

Biggest lol of the night.
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2010 8:30:46 PM

Now back to normal...

Easier said than done considering this site is mostly dominated by lonely, adolescent males.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2010 8:31:50 PM
At 5/29/2010 8:30:46 PM, MikeLoviN wrote:

Now back to normal...

Easier said than done considering this site is mostly dominated by lonely, adolescent males.

Sadly, yes... :(
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2010 8:33:43 PM
At 5/29/2010 8:31:50 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 5/29/2010 8:30:46 PM, MikeLoviN wrote:

Sadly, yes... :(

I take it you prefer more social, older men on debating sites?
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2010 8:34:25 PM
One can use fapping to make oneself go to sleep, but also use it to make oneself feel energized. Kind of contradictory, I know, but if you use it in different situations, it works out ;)
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2010 8:40:18 PM
At 5/29/2010 8:34:25 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
One can use fapping to make oneself go to sleep, but also use it to make oneself feel energized. Kind of contradictory, I know, but if you use it in different situations, it works out ;)

Hahahaha spoken like a true virgin. Or do you normally become 'energized' after soiling that hand towel of yours??
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2010 8:46:22 PM
At 5/29/2010 8:40:18 PM, MikeLoviN wrote:

Hahahaha spoken like a true virgin. Or do you normally become 'energized' after soiling that hand towel of yours??

I'm asexual, bud.
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2010 8:53:15 PM
At 5/29/2010 8:46:22 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

I'm asexual, bud.

way to ruin my fun
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2010 9:00:28 PM

I'm asexual, bud.

Haha. That makes two...I think...

I'm still having speculations.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2010 9:03:31 PM
At 5/29/2010 9:00:28 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

I'm asexual, bud.

For you or me?
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2010 9:04:18 PM

I'm asexual, bud.

Wow. You've just teed us up for an entire thread devoted to your sexuality. I could start but I'm not feeling quite that mean right now :P
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2010 9:05:31 PM
At 5/29/2010 9:04:18 PM, MikeLoviN wrote:

I'm asexual, bud.

Wow. You've just teed us up for an entire thread devoted to your sexuality. I could start but I'm not feeling quite that mean right now :P

Catholics aren't supposed to be mean anyways ;) (Rolls eyes and snickers)
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2010 9:11:43 PM
At 5/29/2010 9:05:31 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

I'm asexual, bud.

Tell that to the kiddy-fiddling preists... (that was the joke right??). Anything I haven't heard before?

If that sounded passive-aggressive, it wasn't supposed to be. I'm just really tired right now. ;)

(btw i still don't understand why you end so many of your posts with that f*cking winking smiley.. depending on the context it really makes you look kind of creepy sometimes)
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2010 9:15:00 PM
At 5/29/2010 9:11:43 PM, MikeLoviN wrote:
At 5/29/2010 9:05:31 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

I'm asexual, bud.

Tell that to the kiddy-fiddling preists... (that was the joke right??). Anything I haven't heard before?
That, and the fact that most Catholics at my school are downright stereotypical or simply mean in their treatment of others.
If that sounded passive-aggressive, it wasn't supposed to be. I'm just really tired right now. ;)

(btw i still don't understand why you end so many of your posts with that f*cking winking smiley.. depending on the context it really makes you look kind of creepy sometimes)
I heard ;)
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2010 9:45:13 PM
What's all this junk about asexuality? What is wrong with you people! That's a sin against nature I'll have you know. I already watched it crash and burn as an idea with an ex - I dunno why anyone would try, or even want to.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2010 9:47:00 PM
Learn from the rabbits. These are humble and wise creatures and are certainly pro-sexual.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2010 9:48:01 PM
Mirza, Insert, and SAC should have a great big threesome. Fix all their asexualities in one shot.