Jump to topic:

Vaccinations cause autism

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 7:30:35 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Should parents be charged with child abuse for getting there kids vaccinated seeing as how it can force you to go retarded?
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 7:35:39 PM
At 1/31/2015 7:30:35 PM, Wylted wrote:
Should parents be charged with child abuse for getting there kids vaccinated seeing as how it can force you to go retarded?

Parents vaccinate their kids to keep them healthy. Unless you can prove that they were doing so to give their child autism (which I don't why they would, seeing as how it just gives the parents an extra burden and that it would be terrible parenting), then no. The doctors who make those vaccinations should be charged if anything.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 7:37:16 PM
At 1/31/2015 7:35:39 PM, Varrack wrote:

Parents vaccinate their kids to keep them healthy. Unless you can prove that they were doing so to give their child autism (which I don't why they would, seeing as how it just gives the parents an extra burden and that it would be terrible parenting), then no. The doctors who make those vaccinations should be charged if anything.

I guess that's a good point. It's the doctors making parents think it's a good ideal.
Tanglewood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2015 7:57:56 PM
At 1/31/2015 7:37:16 PM, Wylted wrote:
I guess that's a good point. It's the doctors making parents think it's a good ideal.

But it is a good idea. Vaccination is safe and effective.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2015 7:59:15 PM
At 2/1/2015 7:57:56 PM, Tanglewood wrote:
At 1/31/2015 7:37:16 PM, Wylted wrote:

But it is a good idea. Vaccination is safe and effective.

Well in a way yes but if it causes autism than why get it?
gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2015 8:26:13 PM

Parents should be charged with child abuse for NOT getting their kids vaccinated despite their parent's retardation
Not my gumdrop buttons!

Debates currently in voting period:

http://www.debate.org...
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2015 8:36:25 PM
At 2/1/2015 8:26:13 PM, gingerbread-man wrote:

Parents should be charged with child abuse for NOT getting their kids vaccinated despite their parent's retardation

Why, should parents be condemned because they refuse to do something that hurts their kid by making them autistic.
gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2015 8:50:59 PM
At 2/1/2015 8:36:25 PM, Wylted wrote:

Why, should parents be condemned because they refuse to do something that hurts their kid by making them autistic.

At least one small reason...

http://resources3.news.com.au...
Not my gumdrop buttons!

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2015 8:52:26 PM
At 2/1/2015 8:50:59 PM, gingerbread-man wrote:

I have no ideal why Africans get those stupid bumpy tattoos but kids aren't going to turn black and get those tattoos just because they didn't get vaccinated.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2015 8:55:20 PM

Do you actually believe that vaccinations cause autism?

Do you believe that vaccinations are potentially more detrimental than beneficial? In other words, that the risks outweigh the possible benefits?
Debate.org Moderator
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2015 9:00:07 PM
At 2/1/2015 8:55:20 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

Do you believe that vaccinations are potentially more detrimental than beneficial? In other words, that the risks outweigh the possible benefits?

I'm trolling a little bit but I do think they are overused and largely unneccesary, depending on the vaccine.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2015 9:01:36 PM

I don't think they cause Autism. I think the medical field has expanded the definition of autism and also got better at catching it while the number of vaccines went up, so it's kinda a coincidence.
gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2015 9:03:30 PM
At 2/1/2015 8:52:26 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 2/1/2015 8:50:59 PM, gingerbread-man wrote:

I have no ideal why Africans get those stupid bumpy tattoos but kids aren't going to turn black and get those tattoos just because they didn't get vaccinated.

Who is up for a game of polio?

http://newtelegraphonline.com...
Not my gumdrop buttons!

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2015 9:03:34 PM
At 2/1/2015 9:00:07 PM, Wylted wrote:

I'm trolling a little bit but I do think they are overused and largely unneccesary, depending on the vaccine.

I figured you might be trolling to some extent...

As for them being over used and unnecessary in some cases, I might be willing to debate you on that topic pending a reasonable resolution.

Something like:

Vaccinations are safe and necessary the overwhelming majority of the time.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2015 9:07:31 PM
At 2/1/2015 9:01:36 PM, Wylted wrote:

I don't think they cause Autism. I think the medical field has expanded the definition of autism and also got better at catching it while the number of vaccines went up, so it's kinda a coincidence.

Yeah, that's the general conclusion by most medical professionals that maintain there is no link between autism and vaccines. There is in fact a far greater risk by the decrease in vaccine usage, especially by high risk individuals/areas, and the increase in easily preventable diseases.
Debate.org Moderator
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2015 9:10:15 PM
At 2/1/2015 9:03:34 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

As for them being over used and unnecessary in some cases, I might be willing to debate you on that topic pending a reasonable resolution.

Something like:

I'll have to refresh my memory on the subject but that would be fun. Maybe we can narrow it down to a specific vaccine I think is really unneccesary. Some of these diseases being vaccinated against just aren't that dangerous in industrialized nations and seem unneccesary.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2015 9:14:05 PM
At 2/1/2015 9:10:15 PM, Wylted wrote:

Something like:

I'll have to refresh my memory on the subject but that would be fun. Maybe we can narrow it down to a specific vaccine I think is really unneccesary. Some of these diseases being vaccinated against just aren't that dangerous in industrialized nations and seem unneccesary.

I'd rather debate vaccines in general... I'm sure you can reference some rare disease that is vaccinated against that you can make the case is unnecessary - though I think I could make the case that since it's being vaccinated against, it's very likely necessary.

Are you of the opinion that there is some conspiratorial angle to vaccinations? Or that there is a big business push for vaccinations that can be viewed as nefarious to some degree?
Debate.org Moderator
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2015 9:19:07 PM
At 2/1/2015 9:14:05 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

Something like:

I'd rather debate vaccines in general... I'm sure you can reference some rare disease that is vaccinated against that you can make the case is unnecessary - though I think I could make the case that since it's being vaccinated against, it's very likely necessary.

Are you of the opinion that there is some conspiratorial angle to vaccinations? Or that there is a big business push for vaccinations that can be viewed as nefarious to some degree?

More like big business having a little too much pull with government. I'll see what I can do.
komododragon8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2015 9:22:22 PM

Austism does not equal retardation in fact many autistic people are far smarter than most normal people. Also would you rather have autism or die from measles.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2015 9:28:09 PM
At 2/1/2015 9:19:07 PM, Wylted wrote:

Something like:

More like big business having a little too much pull with government. I'll see what I can do.

Well there's no argument I can make against that since it's certainly true.

I would argue that it's far more likely that the government encourages vaccinations because it actually works... And furthermore the profits big pharma gets from vaccinations is not all that significant. The reason vaccinations are so common is because they actually prevent disease.

The anti-vaccine movement is largely based on emotion (and I'm not criticizing any parent with a child with autism that has chosen to cope in this manner - but the potential results from such a movement on a large scale in problematic), a lack of actual facts, and lots of conspiratorial nonsense.

There are obviously risks to anything, but on the whole, vaccinations are generally safe, and actually are a significant benefit to humanity.
Debate.org Moderator
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2015 9:29:40 PM

Vaccines do not cause autism. Parents who do not vaccinate their kids should not only be publicly shamed, but should be charged with neglect.

If you are a parent and your kid gets a communicable but preventable illness which could have been prevented because of a vaccine, your face should be on the evening news.
Tsar of DDO
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2015 9:34:22 PM
At 2/1/2015 9:28:09 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

Something like:

I would argue that it's far more likely that the government encourages vaccinations because it actually works... And furthermore the profits big pharma gets from vaccinations is not all that significant. The reason vaccinations are so common is because they actually prevent disease.

The anti-vaccine movement is largely based on emotion (and I'm not criticizing any parent with a child with autism that has chosen to cope in this manner - but the potential results from such a movement on a large scale in problematic), a lack of actual facts, and lots of conspiratorial nonsense.

There are obviously risks to anything, but on the whole, vaccinations are generally safe, and actually are a significant benefit to humanity.

I think they're generally safe but like I said they're likely (a lot of them) unneccesary because the diseases aren't deadly or very harmful in industrialized countries.

I think it's one of those pointless things. I'd get my kids vaccinated even if it wasn't law but it's one of those better safe than sorry things despite me believing they'd most likely be fine without the vaccine.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2015 9:36:48 PM
At 2/1/2015 9:34:22 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 2/1/2015 9:28:09 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

Something like:

I think they're generally safe but like I said they're likely (a lot of them) unneccesary because the diseases aren't deadly or very harmful in industrialized countries.

I think it's one of those pointless things. I'd get my kids vaccinated even if it wasn't law but it's one of those better safe than sorry things despite me believing they'd most likely be fine without the vaccine.

Which ones do you believe aren't necessary?
Debate.org Moderator
gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2015 9:38:00 PM
At 2/1/2015 9:29:40 PM, YYW wrote:

Vaccines do not cause autism. Parents who do not vaccinate their kids should not only be publicly shamed, but should be charged with neglect.

If you are a parent and your kid gets a communicable but preventable illness which could have been prevented because of a vaccine, your face should be on the evening news.

It is just nice to have something other than spam in the Health Forum
Not my gumdrop buttons!

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2015 9:41:35 PM
@airmax, Sorry but I'll have to refresh my memory on the subject. I can't remember which ones I thought were unneccesary due to catching it not being a big deal. I just saw a chicken pox one listed which seems stupid. Everyone I knew as a kid had chickenpox and nobody died from it. I'll have to research each disease independently to see if I can refresh my memory on the subject.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2015 9:46:31 PM

I have Asperger Syndrome. If I knew for certain that vaccines caused it, I would still take all of them. Why? Because I'd rather have Asperger Syndrome than be dead.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2015 9:48:27 PM
At 2/1/2015 9:46:31 PM, TN05 wrote:

I have Asperger Syndrome. If I knew for certain that vaccines caused it, I would still take all of them. Why? Because I'd rather have Asperger Syndrome than be dead.

Do you think you'd die of German Measles?
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2015 9:50:07 PM
At 2/1/2015 9:41:35 PM, Wylted wrote:
@airmax, Sorry but I'll have to refresh my memory on the subject. I can't remember which ones I thought were unneccesary due to catching it not being a big deal. I just saw a chicken pox one listed which seems stupid. Everyone I knew as a kid had chickenpox and nobody died from it. I'll have to research each disease independently to see if I can refresh my memory on the subject.

Fair enough... Specific vaccines certainly have varying degrees necessity.

Ultimately though, vaccines in general, are safe and necessary.
Debate.org Moderator
komododragon8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2015 9:51:54 PM
At 2/1/2015 9:41:35 PM, Wylted wrote:

Even small pox can have bad consequences. Some people may get scars or other diseases later in life from it. It also forces students to miss a week of school.