Jump to topic:

icu psychosis

Alex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2010 2:09:25 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
ICU psychosis aka "sundown syndrome" has anyone here experienced this, or been with a patient that experienced this in the hospital?
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2010 7:02:43 AM
At 7/4/2010 2:09:25 AM, alex_hanson911 wrote:
ICU psychosis aka "sundown syndrome" has anyone here experienced this, or been with a patient that experienced this in the hospital?

At various times throughout my childhood, there were nights where I would have been either playing outside or doing something else and hit an instant where I wouldn't really remember why I was doing what I was doing. It would be like the last several hours didn't even exist; I'd get confused. I don't know if this is Sundown Syndrome, but I'm just giving some input.
Alex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2010 12:10:26 PM
At 7/4/2010 7:02:43 AM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

At various times throughout my childhood, there were nights where I would have been either playing outside or doing something else and hit an instant where I wouldn't really remember why I was doing what I was doing. It would be like the last several hours didn't even exist; I'd get confused. I don't know if this is Sundown Syndrome, but I'm just giving some input.

Yeah, my dad's been in the hospital for about 13 days now and he hallucinates really bad when the sun goes down (sundown syndrome) i guess it can happen when your in Intensive care for to long, but he thinks he's being killed in some other country and things like that. Just wondering if anyone else has had this same type experience
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2010 12:14:50 PM
At 7/4/2010 12:10:26 PM, alex_hanson911 wrote:
At 7/4/2010 7:02:43 AM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

Yeah, my dad's been in the hospital for about 13 days now and he hallucinates really bad when the sun goes down (sundown syndrome) i guess it can happen when your in Intensive care for to long, but he thinks he's being killed in some other country and things like that. Just wondering if anyone else has had this same type experience

my brother was in ICU quite a bit when he was younger...

I don't think he ever hallucinated... but he seemed to get depressed about being there and kind of out of it...

I could see how Lying in bed in a little room watching TV and having Noise and lights on all the time (and being kinda drugged up etc.) could kind of put you far out of it.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2010 7:52:17 PM

Yeah, I've experienced that since 5th grade. I've been in and out of hospitals all my life because of that and a varying other mental complications... >.>

Your dad will be ok, it's a psychological fear onset by the evening, most of the time. Many suffer it because nighttime in a hospital is the worse time of the day :shudder:. Or because their agitation and anxiety levels naturally increase. As long as he's being monitored and is getting his heart rate and blood pressure checked twice a day, he'll recover. He'll probably have to take anti-anxiety pills. I take them and they can be really strong. Mine are like horse tranquillizers. The elderly do get the best treatment for this though because it is usually found within the elderly and not young adults or teenagers.

The best thing for someone in the hospital is visitors, believe me. Visitors also decrease anxiety because they are welcome distractions. :D
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
lastrequest691
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2010 4:56:40 AM
No, my online friend had psychosis and he used to think he will be the king of his country someday.

But now he is ok after 2 years of medication and he is my best friend. Now he lives in reality.
"That song was absolutely waste of talent; you sounded like a wounded animal and who told you to play the guitar by yourself." Simon Cowell
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2010 7:00:56 PM
I've never heard of this before... At the moment, I'm too lazy to search it myself but would someone be so kind as to post some links explaining what it is?
Alex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2010 10:14:28 PM
At 7/12/2010 7:00:56 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
I've never heard of this before... At the moment, I'm too lazy to search it myself but would someone be so kind as to post some links explaining what it is?

http://www.google.com...
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2010 10:36:23 PM
Interesting. A few months ago I was in an ICU for a week and a half and it was the most disorienting experience of my life. I didn't know there was a definition for that...