Knee Injury, Kettle Bell back to Health

goruthy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 12:40:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Hay, I'm pretty new to the forum.
Kettlebells have really improved my quality of life. I have had multiple operations on my knee and have found Kettlebells to be the best tool for rehabbing my knee to full strength.

So much more entertaining than normal weights, you can even throw them around in the garden if its not raining.
This guy has a great beginners lesson for kettlebell juggling. Its awesome, but his more recent videos are not worth watching.

What tips or tricks have helped you recover from injury or surgery?

https://www.youtube.com...
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 10:21:03 PM
At 3/13/2015 12:40:03 PM, goruthy wrote:
Kettlebells have really improved my quality of life. I have had multiple operations on my knee and have found Kettlebells to be the best tool for rehabbing my knee to full strength.

So much more entertaining than normal weights, you can even throw them around in the garden if its not raining.
This guy has a great beginners lesson for kettlebell juggling. Its awesome, but his more recent videos are not worth watching.

The best advice I can provide in regards to injuries, are implementing exercises that will most likely PREVENT them.

Upon most injuries, some more sever than others, there are methods to rehabilitate and certain methods are more favorable than others. The crucial question to ponder is, what can be done to prevent an injury?

The three most important aspects to implement to prevent an injury are; strength training, mobility and dynamic stretching, and diet. Upon implementing those three components, your like hood of an injury is decreased, albeit there are specific injuries that are common to particular sports and movements that are quite common regardless of the three components I mentioned.

Overall, I recommend the three components I mentioned.
Neana
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 3:09:24 AM
The best advice I can give to you about this is first consult your doctor and don't do exercises that can be more damaging to your knee. If you're feeling pain in knee there are some effective home treatments that I found really effective in knee pain and injury:
http://olwomen.com...
Hopefully these will be helpful for you to reduce your knee injury and pain.
JMcKinley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 9:15:06 AM
I suffer from lower back issues on occasion. It used to be a weight issue, but I lost the weight years ago and hadn't had problems until recently near the end of a strength training program.

I've found Yoga to be a great treatment and preventative measure for my back injury. It not only works to effectively prevent it from happening, but for my specific injury the stretching is a very effective treatment tool that provides some immediate relief and also shortens recovery time. You should talk to a medical professional before attempting to use Yoga to treat an injury just to be safe. While it works for my particular injury it may not for others.

There are free yoga videos online to help with just about any area of your body and there are also lots of great programs that you can buy online. Or if you prefer you can go to an actual class.

There is kind of a hippie culture that comes along with Yoga. But I don't buy into it, and you certainly don't need to become a "yogie" in order to see real benefits from yoga. Its about the best stretching you will ever do and there is a surprisingly effective element of strength training in it as well. I highly recommend it.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 2:22:21 PM
At 3/13/2015 12:40:03 PM, goruthy wrote:

I tore my ACL about 16 years ago when I was a college gymnast.

As my trainer demanded back then, for the first two months of rehab I avoided resistance (weight--including kettlebells!) training completely. Instead, I did stretching; whirlpool therapy; stationary cycling; and swimming. Usually using the frog-kick as you do when doing the breaststroke.

These things helped tremendously and my ACL healed completely. I never had a problem with it again.

What is the exact nature of your knee injury? ACL? MCL? Patella meniscus?

Just don't use too heavy a kettlebell. You want low-weight and high reps. ANd warm=up by stretching--very gently, static not dynamic stretching--before working-out.

Hope this helps. Any further questions, just ask, bro!
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.