Jump to topic:

Vegetarianism

cludwig
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 3:13:38 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Vegetarians have different reasons for being vegetarians. I have been one for almost 20 years and made the choice for reasons of personal belief. I would never put down or look down upon someone who eats a large amount of meat; that is their choice and none of my business. Furthermore, I am content to dine along side meat eaters. There are two other kinds of vegetarians in my opinion: the "preachy vegetarian" and the "fashionable/trendy vegetarian". I don't have a great deal of respect for either of those two. It is not my place or mission to change anyone's mind.
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2015 12:48:22 AM
Two prominent reasons, pervasively, why an individual chooses to abstain from consuming meat.

1) Sympathy for the animal

2) The suggested health benefits

I have experimented with vegeteranism and found my skin to be healthy and my energy levels to be wonderful, along with my regularity in terms of waste removal.

Give it a try.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2015 5:07:31 AM
At 3/25/2015 12:48:22 AM, intellectuallyprimitive wrote:
Two prominent reasons, pervasively, why an individual chooses to abstain from consuming meat.

I have experimented with vegetarianism and found my skin to be healthy and my energy levels to be wonderful, along with my regularity in terms of waste removal.

Give it a try.

Fix'd
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
BriaBrnx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 8:05:07 PM
I'm a vegan because I believe that speciesism is illogical. Science indicates that animals are sentient and that most are emotionally/socially complex. Studies indicate that pigs have the intellectual capacity of a three year old human. Obviously, most people wouldn't kill/torture a toddler because that would be extremely immoral. Same with dogs and cats. I believe that killing/torturing pigs is no less immoral, and whilst I know that many hate that particular line of reasoning, I think that my logic is sound because I've yet to encounter a persuasive argument for humans being inherently worth more simply on the basis of our species.

And do I hold adults to a higher regard than children? Of course not. I believe that it is reasonable to treat all emotionally complex, sentient beings with equal respect, provided that said beings haven't done something to degrade their worth in my eyes (e.g. cold-blooded murder, rape, etc.) It isn't a matter of one's degree of intelligence. Thus, I believe that killing/torturing a cow is as immoral as killing a more intelligent pig, and so on.
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 10:02:44 PM
At 4/30/2015 5:07:31 AM, tejretics wrote:
At 3/25/2015 12:48:22 AM, intellectuallyprimitive wrote:

I have experimented with vegetarianism and found my skin to be healthy and my energy levels to be wonderful, along with my regularity in terms of waste removal.

Give it a try.

Fix'd

Thank you for your pedantic modification.
kaleidosc0pe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2015 2:05:58 PM
I am vegetarian because I don't like eating corpses of animals. Animals have feelings, emotions, families and many have an IQ that can rival a toddler. Also, animals are the only innocent creatures (my opinion), so why would I eat the only nice creatures around?
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2015 3:28:21 PM
At 3/23/2015 6:24:36 PM, AlwaysRight12345 wrote:
I am not vegetarian but I am pro-environment. As nobody I know is vegetarian, I want to hear the other side of it.

Go for it. It's all about chemistry and cause and effect and eliminating a diet of meat does wonders for your system.
Too much meat can cause too much acids in your body, your body doesn't really need it. Your body has to work hard to break these products down to get to the proteins, which you don't really need either.
I would take it a step further and look into fruitarianism, not just vegetarianism. Fruits (berries, melons, grapes ect) carry the majority of our nutritional needs and are easily digested, whereas some veggies can be a little more hard on the system but both are better than consuming animal flesh.
The only difficult transition of eliminating meat are healing crisis lol, sometimes you can go through symptoms as the body adjusts.
You can also incorporate a routine to ease into it, such as starting with only fruits in the morning (which does wonders for the body!), maybe veggies for lunch and maybe a tiny bit of meat for dinner and eventually removing meat in general.
Once you see the difference in how your body will respond you inevitably will never miss meat, actually it will make you queasy.
Eat lots of fruit!