Jump to topic:

Supplements

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2010 1:07:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Anyone have thoughts on vitamins or other mineral supplements? I have been taking a lot, and i think that i don't really benefit from them, but rather just piss them out of me (sorry to be so crude). I do a lot of cardio work out, 6 days a week, and get leg cramps at night so i was told to take potassium and magnesium. I was told that a guy should take zinc to help replenish...well what guys produce. I take a multi vitamin, and probably some other nonsense that's in the cupboard.

What do others take if any, and or do you think it is worth anything?
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2010 10:06:11 PM
At 7/29/2010 1:07:07 PM, innomen wrote:
Anyone have thoughts on vitamins or other mineral supplements? I have been taking a lot, and i think that i don't really benefit from them, but rather just piss them out of me (sorry to be so crude). I do a lot of cardio work out, 6 days a week, and get leg cramps at night so i was told to take potassium and magnesium. I was told that a guy should take zinc to help replenish...well what guys produce. I take a multi vitamin, and probably some other nonsense that's in the cupboard.

Vitamins that are not water soluble won't really be wasted, but the vast majority of vitamins are filtered out because the body doesn't absorb massive concentrations well. The leg cramps are probably the result of your cardio, you might want to do something a little less taxing or space it out. The potassium and magnesium help to regulate ions in your body, which are tied to how well your muscles contract.

One multivitamin, such as Centrum, should be enough. Don't take too many strange supplements, or off-brands.

Remember that supplements are NOT regulated by the FDA and thus, do not necessarily have any benefits. You may not even be getting what it says on the label because their claims do not have to be substantiated to hit the market.

The best thing to do is to eat a balanced diet with plenty of green leafy vegetables. This is where humans naturally get their vitamins and minerals and it is the easiest for the body to process.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2010 2:13:03 AM
At 7/30/2010 10:06:11 PM, Kleptin wrote:
At 7/29/2010 1:07:07 PM, innomen wrote:

Vitamins that are not water soluble won't really be wasted, but the vast majority of vitamins are filtered out because the body doesn't absorb massive concentrations well. The leg cramps are probably the result of your cardio, you might want to do something a little less taxing or space it out. The potassium and magnesium help to regulate ions in your body, which are tied to how well your muscles contract.

One multivitamin, such as Centrum, should be enough. Don't take too many strange supplements, or off-brands.

Remember that supplements are NOT regulated by the FDA and thus, do not necessarily have any benefits. You may not even be getting what it says on the label because their claims do not have to be substantiated to hit the market.

The best thing to do is to eat a balanced diet with plenty of green leafy vegetables. This is where humans naturally get their vitamins and minerals and it is the easiest for the body to process.

That was very helpful actually. The leg cramps are a major problem, and to be honest, the thing that helps the most is stretching before bed, it helps far more than any of the supplements. I am puzzled as to why the cramps only hit when i am resting, and never in the midst of my day; even when i am seemingly not moving them much. These cramps are incredibly painful.