Total Posts:20|Showing Posts:1-20
Jump to topic:

I need to medical advice...

brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 4:08:17 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Are you a doctor or a medical student? If so, I would be most grateful if you could help me with some advice.

I have to go for a medical examination in the next few weeks and I will have to give blood and urine samples to test for substance abuse.

I don't do drugs – not even weed – so I know I'll be clear on that front, but I do like a drink every now and again.

Do you know how long I should abstain from consuming alcohol for prior to the examination in order to pass the tests?
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 4:21:06 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Well I'm not a medical student or doctor, but if you only drink occasionally then I think you should be fine.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 4:56:00 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/2/2010 4:21:06 AM, tvellalott wrote:
Well I'm not a medical student or doctor, but if you only drink occasionally then I think you should be fine.

I don't drink to excess but I do drink most days: probably about 40 - 50 units per week (1 unit = 25ml shot of spirits / half a 175ml glass of wine / one third of a pint of beer).
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 5:03:43 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
If you really want to be sure, don't drink for an entire week. That will clear everything out.

Otherwise, it'll usually take 5 hours to be totally clear, for a pint.
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 5:49:40 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/2/2010 5:03:43 AM, Volkov wrote:
If you really want to be sure, don't drink for an entire week. That will clear everything out.

Otherwise, it'll usually take 5 hours to be totally clear, for a pint.

I'll stop drinking for at least a week but I was wondering if the blood tests can detect anything that could be associated with a long-term dependency on alcohol - for example something to do with liver function?
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 5:53:02 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
If you can stop drinking for a week, that clearly shows you aren't dependant on alcohol. If you've damaged your liver significantly, stopping drinking for a week is not going to help by the time you have the test anyway.

I say buy a bottle of tequila, a few lemons and a small shaker of salt and do a few mad-dogs right before you go in!
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 9:54:13 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
don't mean to be nosey but what's the medical for? i thought the boss man was free to do whatever he wanted. nice tan too by the way.
signature
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 10:32:32 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/2/2010 9:54:13 AM, badger wrote:
don't mean to be nosey but what's the medical for? i thought the boss man was free to do whatever he wanted.

The courts won't give me my driving licence back unless I pass this medical.

And they choose a doctor close to where you live and you pay for the examination!

They wrote and told me the doctor closest to me is in Harley Street - the best address for high-end doctors worldwide! This whole business is costing me a fortune!

nice tan too by the way.

That picture was taken on a boat in Turkey, but to be honest, it's a few years old now!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
JBlake
Posts: 4,634
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 10:35:23 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
It doesn't take anywhere near a week. It is a matter of hours, not even days. If you don't drink the day before the examination then it won't show up. A whole week is overkill by far.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 7:13:04 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/2/2010 10:35:23 AM, JBlake wrote:
It doesn't take anywhere near a week. It is a matter of hours, not even days. If you don't drink the day before the examination then it won't show up. A whole week is overkill by far.

agreed, and if you want to make sure drink a ton of water to flush everything out.
Tiresias
Posts: 10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 11:48:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Not sure what kind of test your getting, but it will most likely be looking for fatty liver / alcoholic hepatitis / cirrhosis symptoms - doubtful that you have any of these unless your particularly susceptible (i.e. family history / alcoholism). They also be looking at cholesterol I assume, and probably on the lookout for stray proteins. In short, there's not a whole lot you can do to affect the outcome. Though if you'd like to pass your test with flying colors I might suggest cutting back a bit.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 11:59:04 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Cranberry juice!! That flushes out the system REALLY WELL. :D
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 3:36:26 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Do you know how long I should abstain from consuming alcohol for prior to the examination in order to pass the tests?:

They have to be specifically looking for that compound. But even supposing they were specifically looking for it, since consuming alcohol is not illegal, I'd say it shouldn't present a problem.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
burningpuppies101
Posts: 1,268
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 10:47:14 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
brian, you should be fine. i'm not doctor, but it takes about one hour per unit of alcohol you've drunk, for your body to take care of it.

if you're not an alcoholic who's drinking them by the crate, you should be fine.
Omnes te moriturum amant 

http://www.debate.org...
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 12:23:57 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Thank you for all your advice. My test is tomorrow lunchtime and I haven't touched a drop for days so I should be okay.

I have to take this test to get my driving licence back. I lost it for drink driving (DUI) under very unfortunate circumstances. The judge said that the law wasn't designed to punish people like me but that a three year ban was mandatory, though she only gave me the minimum fine.

If I have more time later I'll tell the story of how I lost it (and Volkov will understand why I have become a little bitter towards Jews of late!)
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 12:25:45 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 12:23:57 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:

If I have more time later I'll tell the story of how I lost it (and Volkov will understand why I have become a little bitter towards Jews of late!)

A Jew was involved in making you lose your license? O.o

I'm kinda somewhat dating a Jew. xD
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 12:34:25 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 12:25:45 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/13/2010 12:23:57 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:

If I have more time later I'll tell the story of how I lost it (and Volkov will understand why I have become a little bitter towards Jews of late!)

A Jew was involved in making you lose your license? O.o

I'm kinda somewhat dating a Jew. xD

Yes, but of course I can't tar all Jews with the same brush!

Not often you get Jews and Muslims going out together though - you are a Muslim aren't you?

Anyway - good luck to you - if that sort of thing happened more often the world would be a much better place.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 12:45:05 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 12:34:25 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:

Yes, but of course I can't tar all Jews with the same brush!

Not often you get Jews and Muslims going out together though - you are a Muslim aren't you?

Yes I am. COEXISTENCE, BABY!

Anyway - good luck to you - if that sort of thing happened more often the world would be a much better place.

Yep. *glares at Israel and Palestine*
thisoneguy
Posts: 30
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 5:44:26 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/2/2010 4:08:17 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
Are you a doctor or a medical student? If so, I would be most grateful if you could help me with some advice.

I have to go for a medical examination in the next few weeks and I will have to give blood and urine samples to test for substance abuse.

I don't do drugs – not even weed – so I know I'll be clear on that front, but I do like a drink every now and again.

Do you know how long I should abstain from consuming alcohol for prior to the examination in order to pass the tests?

Being a vampire I feel I'm more in a position to pass a comment than most,

Due to new EU rules and regulations, all victims are blood tested, before access can be granted
If these tests are for leukemia then a reading for arthritis etc. cannot be revealed.

Here's another example, If I study a maiden's neck and find it to be in abundance with protruding blue veins, then I know I'll be in for a really good swally (drink), a completely different study would then be required to find out how many "bloody Mary's" she's had.
All kidding aside, a gas meter won't reveal how much electric has been used
Anyway, I hope that helped, and let me know if the nurse is up for sliding a few crates out he back door.