Jump to topic:

Anyone Exercise / Lift Weights?

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 8:56:39 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I started working out again but this time I will actually get bulked up. What's your routine and what supplements/diet do you use?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 8:57:30 PM
I'm going on my 3rd week btw. So far so good.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 9:04:42 PM
used to... all the time.

Makes you feel good. (though Running does too.... more "elated" than the "engaged" feel that lifting gives you)

don't stop... it's REALLY hard to start back up.

and I'd go through each area with just a few sets, short amount of reps, with as much weight as I could bear every other day.

Everyone always says to switch it up... but I always thought that doing everything worked out fine.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 9:07:54 PM
short amount of reps
like 8-12
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 9:08:50 PM
Diet-wise, I don't take many supplements. I'm vegetarian and try to have mostly organic food.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 9:09:20 PM
At 8/3/2010 8:56:39 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I started working out again but this time I will actually get bulked up. What's your routine and what supplements/diet do you use?

meat!

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 9:09:40 PM
At 8/3/2010 9:08:50 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Diet-wise, I don't take many supplements. I'm vegetarian and try to have mostly organic food.

8)

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 9:10:45 PM
oh.. and squats are awesome :)

just don't kill yourself.

Metaphysics:
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 9:15:14 PM
At 8/3/2010 9:04:42 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

When I was 17 (4 years ago) I worked out with a Bowflex for a whole year, but then I quit because I wasn't seeing much progress and I got lazy.

This time I'm just using free weights in my bedroom and actually see results already. I read online that free weights beat the machines anyways, which seems to be right.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 9:25:05 PM
At 8/3/2010 9:15:14 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/3/2010 9:04:42 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

When I was 17 (4 years ago) I worked out with a Bowflex for a whole year, but then I quit because I wasn't seeing much progress and I got lazy.

This time I'm just using free weights in my bedroom and actually see results already. I read online that free weights beat the machines anyways, which seems to be right.

I worked out from 7th grade to senior yr HS

my Junior year old self would wipe the floor with me... lol

it does help a lot to have people to work out with though... competition makes you do better.

Metaphysics:
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 9:25:16 PM
At 8/3/2010 9:11:09 PM, FREEDO wrote:
You can get all the protein you need without meat.

I actually heard of a vegetarian who got fat because of potatoes and cheese lol.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 9:26:43 PM
At 8/3/2010 9:25:05 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
I worked out from 7th grade....

i have a sneaking suspicion it stunted my growth... can't be sure though.

Metaphysics:
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 9:33:59 PM
Check this link out http://getserious.info... It has a bunch of info that may be of use, especially under the Exercise and Nutrition sections.

As for specific routines, it's been a while since I hit the gym so I can't really help you there. Usually I'd split up the workouts so that each time you're trying to focus on a specific part of your body. So one day would be the bench, flys, chin-ups, another day would be squats, and leg presses, then another day would be curls, shoulder press, more chin-ups and maybe throw in some deadlifts just for the hell of it.
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 4:34:05 PM
At 8/4/2010 2:06:05 PM, badger wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org... this stuff would make a block out of you.. not good for you though i'd say.

Lol everybody did creatine when I was in highschool. All it does is bloat your muscles with water, and as soon as you stop working out, you start to sag. Not to mention, that once you start taking so much of it, your body stops producing its own which isn't going to be so good for you down the road.
Veridas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2010 9:45:51 AM
At 8/3/2010 8:56:39 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

No suppliments, no special diet, I eat dinner about an hour before I go to the gym, my routine is an hour spent in muscle (I do an hour of cardio before that)

In the process I do thighs, legs, back, stomach, biceps, triceps and shoulders, with the exception of back and legs, I only do very few reps at the maximum I can lift, my back and legs are at the point now where I can lift 150 kilograms with either with ease, I've started bringing weights from the unused dumbells onto the leg machine just to challenge myself, also, when doing the legs, going up onto my toes rather than remain flat-footed is a good way to get a little extra out of each lift, to help fill the time I'll just sit there with my legs taking 150 kilos of weight and I'll just listen to music until it starts to hurt, which tends to take a good while.

Legs of steel baby.

Biceps are my proudest, I can lift 105 kilograms and just about do three reps, triceps and shoulders are harder and I can do about 70 kilos with 5 reps, stomach is my weakest, I can do 10 reps at 30 kilos, thighs I can also do 150 kilos with but I do ten reps and it's challenge.

I do two sets with a thirty second break in between and then have a two minute break between each one, to fill in the time I'll do breathing exercises to ensure minimum lactic acid during each set, most times I breathe regularly but when really staining sometimes my focus is entirely on lifting and not on breathing.

In terms of effectiveness, I experimented with doing my absolute limit and only a few reps with my biceps first, in the space of about five months I tripled my maximum lifting capacity and in the process earned more stamina, my chest also tightened up because of the nature of the machine I use (you sit down in a semi-squatting position and pull on a grip that's above, so as you pull down, it pulls the weights up via cables or whatever) so I'm now applying it to everything else.

I'm a tubby f*cker but I can lift most people with one arm on a good day and if I'm p!ssed off enough.
What fresh dickery is the internet up to today?
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2010 10:13:43 AM
I do lots of cardio. An hour and a half each morning of heavy cardio 6 days a week, and a minimal amount of weights just to maintain stuff.

The best nutrition advice i have is peanuts. I eat them all the time. They give me energy, they fill me, they are incredibly convenient, and they're good fiber. More often than not peanuts are my breakfast. I also drink some energy drinks early in the morning before, but i don't drink coffee, and i get up incredibly early.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2010 10:18:41 AM
At 8/3/2010 9:25:16 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

I actually heard of a vegetarian who got fat because of potatoes and cheese lol.

why is that surprising? vegetarians who eat crap food have crap bodies... its not like meat is the reason most people are fat (in the south, for example, blame the deep fryer, not the chicken :P)
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2010 10:26:23 AM
At 8/8/2010 10:18:41 AM, belle wrote:
At 8/3/2010 9:25:16 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

why is that surprising? vegetarians who eat crap food have crap bodies... its not like meat is the reason most people are fat (in the south, for example, blame the deep fryer, not the chicken :P)

Donuts are vegetarian right? Cake? Cookies?
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2010 11:06:38 AM
I do half of a P90X workout and play a lot of tennis (if I do the whole workout, I'll be too sore for tennis). I also do a ton of running, biking, waterskiing, swimming, and kayaking.

Glory and praise to Allah!
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2010 11:14:35 AM
At 8/8/2010 11:03:10 AM, cjl wrote:
Ride ten miles of bike twice a week, and three hours of Teakwondo twice a week.

Plus an hour a day of turd pushin'

Vile sodomizers such as yourself will be among the first to face the wrath of Allah.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2010 11:41:37 AM
At 8/8/2010 11:06:38 AM, J.Kenyon wrote:
I do half of a P90X workout and play a lot of tennis (if I do the whole workout, I'll be too sore for tennis). I also do a ton of running, biking, waterskiing, swimming, and kayaking.

I'm sure you give praise to the Flying Sphaghetti Monster too?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2010 11:45:48 AM
At 8/8/2010 11:41:37 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

Har har, you atheists are so clever. We'll see who's laughing when you're burning in hell.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2010 12:50:08 PM

Allah wants you to be strong for your heavenly sex?
Veridas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 6:06:38 AM
At 8/8/2010 11:45:48 AM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 8/8/2010 11:41:37 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

Har har, you atheists are so clever. We'll see who's laughing when you're burning in hell.

If you think we don't realise what you're trying to do, you're wrong.

Your screwed up profile, deliberately contradicting opinions, psuedo-offensive avatar, you think you're smart enough to play everyone like a fifty cent kazoo when you aren't even smart enough to make yourself look like you actually believe any of the sh!t you say.

The art of trolling is to act as if you are utterly serious about what you say and believe.

So, ultimately, whatever it is you think you're accomplishing is never going to happen.

And it doesn't matter what you believe, the fact that you even attempted any of this sh!t makes you a total prick now and forever.

Race you to hell.
What fresh dickery is the internet up to today?
cjl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2010 6:45:57 AM
At 8/8/2010 11:14:35 AM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 8/8/2010 11:03:10 AM, cjl wrote:
Ride ten miles of bike twice a week, and three hours of Teakwondo twice a week.

Plus an hour a day of turd pushin'

Vile sodomizers such as yourself will be among the first to face the wrath of Allah.

I don't beleikve in Allah...