Jump to topic:

The Pill Shrinks Women's Brains

Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 3:06:48 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Oral contraceptive pills (OCs), which are used to prevent pregnancy by the majority of women in the United States, contain steroid hormones that may affect the brain's structure and function. In this investigation, we tested the hypothesis that OC use is associated with differences in brain structure using a hypothesis-driven, surface-based approach. In 90 women, (44 OC users, 46 naturally-cycling women), we compared the cortical thickness of brain regions that participate in the salience network and the default mode network, as well as the volume of subcortical regions in these networks. We found that OC use was associated with significantly lower cortical thickness measurements in the lateral orbitofrontal cortex and the posterior cingulate cortex. These regions are believed to be important for responding to rewards and evaluating internal states/incoming stimuli, respectively.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com...
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 4:18:46 PM
At 5/19/2015 3:06:48 PM, Geogeer wrote:
Oral contraceptive pills (OCs), which are used to prevent pregnancy by the majority of women in the United States, contain steroid hormones that may affect the brain's structure and function. In this investigation, we tested the hypothesis that OC use is associated with differences in brain structure using a hypothesis-driven, surface-based approach. In 90 women, (44 OC users, 46 naturally-cycling women), we compared the cortical thickness of brain regions that participate in the salience network and the default mode network, as well as the volume of subcortical regions in these networks. We found that OC use was associated with significantly lower cortical thickness measurements in the lateral orbitofrontal cortex and the posterior cingulate cortex. These regions are believed to be important for responding to rewards and evaluating internal states/incoming stimuli, respectively.

Not to mention that it escentially kills their sexual organs. They're only suppose to take it a few times. Instead many women benge on the pill and that ends up causing some serious damage including breast cancer.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2015 3:14:05 PM

And I would hazard to guess that the deleterious effects of birth control chemicals are exacerbated in younger women"say between the ages of, oh, 18-25 or so. (For you younger women reading this, that word means "made worse.")
Since, after all, that is the age window when their brains are especially formative and engaged in neuroplasticity as it shapes their emotional and cognitive abilities for the rest of their lives.
This, added with young women"s absurd and disturbing obsession with social media and their smart phones would help explain why so many of them today possess the social skills of somebody mildly autistic, or with a low IQ (maybe around 70?) from, say, 20 years ago. Or more.
Look"my friend is a high school nurse. She says that girls are having full-blown panic attacks when they get to school and realize they left their phones at home. Full Blown! As in: requiring medical attention.
Wow.
The combo of the social media, lack of REAL inter-personal contact, and the birth control drugs also help explain why so many of these kids can hardly even speak correct English anymore. Or form grammatically-correct complete sentences. And if it was not for Spell Check, their written skills would be laughably woeful as well.
My gf is an HR person. You should here some of the things she tells me she sees on job apps and resumes from these kids. Misspelling their own names! LOL. Actually writing "like" in the app. As is, "My last job was, like, too hard."
Really?
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2015 3:17:11 PM
Oh.........here's a link for those who think I was exaggerating about young women's obsession and, in turn, mental disorders simply because they may have to be without there precious phones, and forced to actually INTERACT with a real person.

They are becoming zombies, people. It is a serious matter.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 12:41:05 AM
Bump
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 12:48:03 AM
Signature
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
Sharku
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 9:04:19 PM
At 5/21/2015 3:14:05 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

And I would hazard to guess that the deleterious effects of birth control chemicals are exacerbated in younger women"say between the ages of, oh, 18-25 or so. (For you younger women reading this, that word means "made worse.")
Since, after all, that is the age window when their brains are especially formative and engaged in neuroplasticity as it shapes their emotional and cognitive abilities for the rest of their lives.
This, added with young women"s absurd and disturbing obsession with social media and their smart phones would help explain why so many of them today possess the social skills of somebody mildly autistic, or with a low IQ (maybe around 70?) from, say, 20 years ago. Or more.
Look"my friend is a high school nurse. She says that girls are having full-blown panic attacks when they get to school and realize they left their phones at home. Full Blown! As in: requiring medical attention.
Wow.
The combo of the social media, lack of REAL inter-personal contact, and the birth control drugs also help explain why so many of these kids can hardly even speak correct English anymore. Or form grammatically-correct complete sentences. And if it was not for Spell Check, their written skills would be laughably woeful as well.
My gf is an HR person. You should here some of the things she tells me she sees on job apps and resumes from these kids. Misspelling their own names! LOL. Actually writing "like" in the app. As is, "My last job was, like, too hard."
Really?

I've read posts from teenagers on this site that sound more intelligent than this, so let's not get condescending here (in case you're confused, that word means "having or showing a feeling of patronizing superiority"). I'm not entirely impressed with the sexist undertone of "silly hysterical girls" either for that matter.

It may interest you to know that Nomophobia affects more men than women. You don't even have a loose correlation to make a link between the pill and Nomophobia.
https://www.psychologytoday.com...

Studies have also shown that children are not much different today than they were 20 years ago. Your anecdotal biased evidence and lack of understanding of what mental retardation or autism truly entails is not even close to fact. Try again, and this time without being derogatory towards a group of people. http://theallianceforec.org...

As for resume's, HR has been having the same problem for decades. Stupid people submit applications all the time and the year you were born has nothing to do with it. We had speakers at our high school come in (and this was a time before smart phones) and talk to everyone about making spelling errors and other mistakes on your resumes, some bringing up examples from years ago.

Nothing you wrote has any basis in fact, nor does it have anything to do with the birth control pill.

This study, like all studies done on the pill, is inconclusive. There are studies saying the pill thickens parts of the brain increasing memory and learning. Not all women experience these effects, and different pills have different effects on different women. Furthermore, the pill is not meant to be a long term birth control solution, so the fact that misusing a medication for it's intended purpose could have undesirable effects is not surprising. I would rather see further studies done on this before anyone runs around making a blanket statement. 90 women is an incredibly small sample and there could be a number of other outside factors and lifestyle differences causing these results.
DutifulCynic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2015 4:43:47 AM
At 7/7/2015 4:42:37 AM, DutifulCynic wrote:
I would like a source from an accredited, reputable medical organization. Not this nonsense.

To clarify, as this may be misleading, I want a statement from the same organizations behind this book stating outright women should not take the pill.