Jump to topic:

Homeopathy

bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2015 3:02:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
So, you're in the store. You have...let's say...a cough.

And you see a "homeopathic cough medicine" in the pharmacy.

Most people I've asked think homeopathy = "home remedy", or possibly "holistic".

It doesn't.

Homeopathy was invented in 1796 based on something made up by its founder: the idea of "like cures like", "whereby a substance that causes the symptoms of a disease in healthy people will cure similar symptoms in sick people."

http://en.wikipedia.org...

It's actually even worse than that, because he believed that dilution, where you add water to a mixture to dilute it, somehow increased potency.

This is, obviously nonsense.

Homeopaths use a "C" scale, that is, dilutions of 100. So if you see a "homeopathic remedy" that lists an "active ingredient" of some stubstance at "6C", that means the substance has been diluted to 1:10^12. 30C means 10^-60. Given that 10^24 is the point at which there could reasonably be one molecule of substance in a 1L solution, the founder's recommendation of 30C is shown to be utter nonsense.

I will confess that I'm forgetting the most important part. After dilution, you have to whack the solution with a hammer (or something similar like vigorous shaking). Called Succussion, that somehow activates "vital energies" or activates "water memory".

At hippy grocery stores I go to sometimes, I'll see Oscillococcinum. Sounds like a real thing, right? And it's described as high potency!

It's described that way because homeopaths consider something more potent the more diluted it is. It's a 200C dilution (so, 1:10^400). Of duck liver.

It's estimated that there are 10^80 atoms in the observable universe; "a dilution of one molecule in the observable universe would be about 40C. Oscillococcinum would thus require 10^320 more universes to simply have one molecule in the final substance."

Don't buy homeopathic stuff.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
WAM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2015 5:34:44 PM
My Mum believes in this junk so I have read up on it extensively quite a while ago and whenever she mentions anything about alternative medicine I just start stating placebo effects and no prove and ridicule her whole believe system... This though is even more hilarious than homeopathy! http://en.wikipedia.org...
"As iridology has no value in diagnosing any diseases, possible harms in the use of iridology include the waste of time and money....."
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2015 12:42:44 PM
At 5/29/2015 3:02:46 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
So, you're in the store. You have...let's say...a cough.

And you see a "homeopathic cough medicine" in the pharmacy.

Most people I've asked think homeopathy = "home remedy", or possibly "holistic".

It doesn't.

Homeopathy was invented in 1796 based on something made up by its founder: the idea of "like cures like", "whereby a substance that causes the symptoms of a disease in healthy people will cure similar symptoms in sick people."

It's actually even worse than that, because he believed that dilution, where you add water to a mixture to dilute it, somehow increased potency.

This is, obviously nonsense.

Homeopaths use a "C" scale, that is, dilutions of 100. So if you see a "homeopathic remedy" that lists an "active ingredient" of some stubstance at "6C", that means the substance has been diluted to 1:10^12. 30C means 10^-60. Given that 10^24 is the point at which there could reasonably be one molecule of substance in a 1L solution, the founder's recommendation of 30C is shown to be utter nonsense.

I will confess that I'm forgetting the most important part. After dilution, you have to whack the solution with a hammer (or something similar like vigorous shaking). Called Succussion, that somehow activates "vital energies" or activates "water memory".

At hippy grocery stores I go to sometimes, I'll see Oscillococcinum. Sounds like a real thing, right? And it's described as high potency!

It's described that way because homeopaths consider something more potent the more diluted it is. It's a 200C dilution (so, 1:10^400). Of duck liver.

It's estimated that there are 10^80 atoms in the observable universe; "a dilution of one molecule in the observable universe would be about 40C. Oscillococcinum would thus require 10^320 more universes to simply have one molecule in the final substance."

Don't buy homeopathic stuff.

Good post.

Yeah...it never cease to amaze me how many people confuse "holistic" or even "natural" with "homeopathic." The latter of which is, as you say, pure hoo-doo.

And yes--even worse than taking nothing! Since the deluded soul who ingests a homeopathic cure is of the notion that he is actually doing something helpful for his malady, when in fact he is not. At least the person who has not yet tried anything for his illness is aware that he hasn't, thus is more likely to actually try something useful and legitimate.

I read once where the dilution ratio in most so-called homeopathic remedies is equal to a drop of water in an Olympic-sized swimming pool!
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.