Jump to topic:

Romney Care

Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 3:42:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
It's an absurd notion of Universal Health Care - enforce insurance onto citizens thus solving the lack of health care insurance ...
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 3:43:38 PM
I'd rather be forced into single payer than be forced to buy private insurance.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 3:51:51 PM
At 8/11/2010 3:43:38 PM, wjmelements wrote:

As a non American, what is the difference?
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 2:24:04 AM
At 8/11/2010 3:51:51 PM, Puck wrote:

I thought you were from Leominster.

Single payer would be gov't administered not gov't mandated.

The problem with this system is the people that are unable to afford health insurance, are equally unable to pay the fine, furthermore, the fine is just that, a fine, it provides no relief but is only punitive.

Meanwhile, there is more resentment with illegal aliens because they would be exempt from the fine (they don't typically file a state income tax) and are able to get free health care under masshealth.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 3:16:17 PM
At 8/12/2010 2:24:04 AM, innomen wrote:

Nah, he's from Australia.

The UK's NHS is an example of single-payer.
Single-payer basically means that a single entity (the government) collects, pays out, and handles all fees and insurance and what-not.

Romneycare is an example where it is mandatory to buy private health insurance.
Basically you are forced to pay a private health insurance organization or you face a penalty of fines or maybe jail.

Wjm, why do you think single-payer is better than mandatory private health care? At least there is a choice where you get your health care -- and the health care is administered by private organizations, not the government.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 3:26:30 PM
At 8/12/2010 3:16:17 PM, Nags wrote:
Wjm, why do you think single-payer is better than mandatory private health care? At least there is a choice where you get your health care -- and the health care is administered by private organizations, not the government.

Mandated insurance is a rip off. The system is guaranteed to get a profit off of you if it is mandated.
Under single payer, I have a monopsony advantage.

I hate insurance companies. I am going to purchase as little insurance as legally possible. Insurance mandates will affect my decision for which state I choose to live in, or even if I choose to live in the states at all.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 3:49:19 PM
At 8/12/2010 3:26:30 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Mandated insurance is a rip off. The system is guaranteed to get a profit off of you if it is mandated.

I dunno, you prefer UK NHS to Romneycare?

I hate insurance companies. I am going to purchase as little insurance as legally possible. Insurance mandates will affect my decision for which state I choose to live in, or even if I choose to live in the states at all.

Same. I'm gonna move to New Hampshire (but work in Boston) when I'm older. So I can escape from all the taxes and insurance mandates.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 3:57:25 PM
Insurance mandates will affect my decision for which state I choose to live in, or even if I choose to live in the states at all.

Lol, really? That seems a little extreme...

I'm moving to Cali for marriage, weed and the Terminator. Way better incentives imo.
President of DDO
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 4:03:21 PM
At 8/12/2010 3:57:25 PM, theLwerd wrote:
I'm moving to Cali for marriage, weed and the Terminator. Way better incentives imo.

http://hotair.com...
Billion dollar deficit just in July. Have fun.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 4:04:01 PM
At 8/12/2010 3:57:25 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Insurance mandates will affect my decision for which state I choose to live in, or even if I choose to live in the states at all.
Lol, really? That seems a little extreme...

I have a master plan for managing my finances and I don't want anyone getting in the way.

Weed is good, yes, but I wouldn't live in Cali because of the Terminator. He's run the state into a huge debt and he's damaged the economy there.

What other states have medical marijuana?
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 4:04:51 PM
At 8/12/2010 3:49:19 PM, Nags wrote:

For my own self, yes.

Same. I'm gonna move to New Hampshire (but work in Boston) when I'm older. So I can escape from all the taxes and insurance mandates.

My only complaint with NH is the climate. It seems great otherwise.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 4:07:58 PM
At 8/12/2010 4:04:01 PM, wjmelements wrote:

http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org...

At 8/12/2010 4:04:51 PM, wjmelements wrote:
For my own self, yes.

Ah, I see. I haven't much looked into it, so I can't say.

Yeah, well, I live in Massachusetts so I'm used to the harsh winters, though I don't like it. I would move farther south, but I don't wanna be so far away from my family.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 4:12:48 PM
Thanks for the replies. Here it's different, you either are eligible for government rebate based upon your income (medicare type system) or you buy private insurance. That guys $800 per month would be enough for a decent singe person coverage here in a year and that $800 would cover him for a year ...
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 4:23:49 PM
At 8/12/2010 4:07:58 PM, Nags wrote:

"Sorry, the page you requested was not found."

At 8/12/2010 4:04:51 PM, wjmelements wrote:
For my own self, yes.
Ah, I see. I haven't much looked into it, so I can't say.

Single Payer distorts health care as much as Romneycare/Obamacare distorts insurance, but I'd probably end up paying less under single payer for what would probably be the same thing.

Yeah, well, I live in Massachusetts so I'm used to the harsh winters, though I don't like it. I would move farther south, but I don't wanna be so far away from my family.
My air conditioner broke yesterday. The house was 95 degrees all day.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 4:31:29 PM
At 8/12/2010 4:23:49 PM, wjmelements wrote:
At 8/12/2010 4:07:58 PM, Nags wrote:
"Sorry, the page you requested was not found."

This should work.

Single Payer distorts health care as much as Romneycare/Obamacare distorts insurance, but I'd probably end up paying less under single payer for what would probably be the same thing.

True. Though I think it would be easier to undo Romneycare than single-payers like NHS. I guess at an immediate personal level, single-payer would be better. And Romneycare is probably less bad for the economy than NHS.

My air conditioner broke yesterday. The house was 95 degrees all day.

Sucks. Massachusetts will be in the mid 60s in the next month or so.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 4:37:54 PM
At 8/12/2010 4:31:29 PM, Nags wrote:

True. Though I think it would be easier to undo Romneycare than single-payers like NHS. I guess at an immediate personal level, single-payer would be better. And Romneycare is probably less bad for the economy than NHS.

The ease of undoing the legislation is the major plus here, but after a bill stays long enough, people are taught in school that it is wonderful, and the next generations will consider it a sin to suggest its repeal.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 4:38:33 PM
At 8/12/2010 4:37:54 PM, wjmelements wrote:

The ease of undoing the legislation is the major plus here, because after a bill stays long enough, people are taught in school that it is wonderful, and the next generations will consider it a sin to suggest its repeal.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 8:44:34 PM
At 8/12/2010 4:37:54 PM, wjmelements wrote:

The ease of undoing the legislation is the major plus here, but after a bill stays long enough, people are taught in school that it is wonderful, and the next generations will consider it a sin to suggest its repeal.

...Like Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, etc.
PalinFan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 9:02:17 PM
At 8/12/2010 3:16:17 PM, Nags wrote:
At 8/12/2010 2:24:04 AM, innomen wrote:

Nah, he's from Australia.

The UK's NHS is an example of single-payer.
Single-payer basically means that a single entity (the government) collects, pays out, and handles all fees and insurance and what-not.

Romneycare is an example where it is mandatory to buy private health insurance.
Basically you are forced to pay a private health insurance organization or you face a penalty of fines or maybe jail.

You do realize in countries with single-payer health care, such as Canada, you still have the option to buy private insurance right?
Super Man does not come close to the power of Jesus Christ - GodSands
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 9:04:06 PM
At 8/12/2010 9:02:17 PM, PalinFan wrote:
You do realize in countries with single-payer health care, such as Canada, you still have the option to buy private insurance right?

And in Texas, you still have the option to buy private education. But why do that, when you've already been forced to pay for public education?
PalinFan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 10:59:56 AM
At 8/12/2010 9:04:06 PM, wjmelements wrote:
At 8/12/2010 9:02:17 PM, PalinFan wrote:

And in Texas, you still have the option to buy private education. But why do that, when you've already been forced to pay for public education?

Because you have the money to do so and you believe that the government cant do anything right.
Super Man does not come close to the power of Jesus Christ - GodSands