Jump to topic:

Inflamation of the brain linked to Depression

Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 11:30:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I recently wrote an article for school--it was a pretty interesting read.

McNamee, David "Severe depression linked with inflammation in the brain"
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com...

1. Main Theme:
Recent study done by Campbell Family Mental Health Research Institute in Tornado, Canada have found, that people with depression show inflammatory in the brain. Inflammation acts as a systems defense to an infection or a disease. In this study, they took 20 people with depression, and 20 people with non-depression. The PET brain scan showed inflammation in the brain of those with depression, and more severe inflammation of participants with severe depression. The Duke team came to the final that conclusion that inflammation does not cause depression, but depression causes inflammation.

2. Qualification:
A. The author of this article is David McNamme .
B. McNamme got his research from researchers from the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health in Toronto, Canada (CAMH). He also has quotes from Dr. Jeffery Meyer from CAMH.

3. Conclusion:
Severe depression is shown to affect 4% of the general population. Yet, more than half of the people with major depression do not respond to antidepressants. Dr. Meyers suggest that scientist and doctors should investigate the possible impact of an anti-inflammatory drugs on depression systems. Dr. Meyers also suggest that depression is a complex illness and that it takes more than one biological change to tip someone into an episode. He now believes that inflammation in the brain is one of these changes and that's an important step forward.

4. Critical Thoughts:
It's no secret that depression is a major illness in the world. But personally, we shouldn't be depending on drugs to fix the problem. Instead, more therapy and counseling should be provided to those depression, and different counseling for those with severe depression. Drugs may just irritate the brain more, or may cause the person to become dependent of the drug. We should focus on natural, well-being cures.
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3