Binge-eating disorder

Zourida
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 9:36:14 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
Thanks for choosing to read this.

I do not know if you are a binge eater or just curious to see what this is about. Either way you are going to learn something new today. The past 4 years I have been having strong urges to binge on food. When I say binge I mean the consumption of a huge amount of food in a short period of time. I used to binge mostly on sugary foods and foods with a lot of calories. I thought binging was helping me cope with my problems so I did not try to look more into it. At some point, I realized that I am destroying my body. I gained 20 pounds in 2 months just from binging.

Deep inside me I knew that something was wrong with me but I was too ashamed to admit it and seek help. My main excuse was that binging was helping me fulfill an emotional need. I was wrong. The time came and I looked more into it. I discovered that it is an actual disorder and is explained more by the DSM-5. Binge eating can lead to bulimia and purging. Eating disorders are extremely dangerous and can lead to death if they remain unnoticed.

I solved my problem by doing a little bit of research on my own. I thought my urges to binge will haunt me for ever but I was wrong. Those urges came from my "animal brain". I learned to recognize which thoughts come from my human and which from my animal brain. The solution to my problem came when I stopped dieting and restricting certain foods from myself. I stated a balanced diet and I refused to react on my urges.

I managed to solve my problem on my own. I managed to control my thoughts and my behavior. If you think you might developing a binge-eating behavior I have two suggestions for you. The first is to talk to a professional about your problem and the second is to read the book "Brain over Binge" by Kathryn Hansen. Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) appears to have the highest success rates on eating disorders. Below is a link with the key diagnostic features of binge-eating.

https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org...

Thanks for reading!
mg