2016, The Year of Gains

TheFlex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2016 11:33:51 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
Greetings everyone,

I'm making this thread to document weekly progress for fitness. I'm one of those people who made a New Year's resolution to go to the gym and I think sharing my progress would help motivate me a little more to keep me going.

I think doing a weekly update detailing what I did every weekday within the week should suffice. If anyone else would like to join in with me feel free to do so and post your progress and results as well!

I would also appreciate any tips, advice, etc. for working out and fitness in general. Best of luck in 2016!
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2016 11:46:36 PM
What's your training program and diet going to be like?
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2016 4:01:17 PM
I'm going to start gymming again and this time I'm not going to let college stop me.

Because of limited time and resources, I can only gym on Thursday and Friday. Biceps, triceps and shoulder on Thursday. Chest, abs and back on Friday.

Monday and Wednesday, I'll just be doing a morning home workout because of the limited time I have. I'm planning to do cardio for 20 minutes and do abs workout before I go to school.

On Tuesday, I will have to let my college fitness program take the lead.

My rest days are the weekends.

I have no diet plan because I can't control where my friends go during lunch time. However, I will make sure I will focus on eating chicken or protein rich foods and refrain from sweets and fast food.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2016 4:11:04 PM
At 1/2/2016 11:46:36 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

I heard that you are a competitive weightlifter. Can you recommend me a good diet plan for newbies?
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2016 4:31:58 PM
At 1/4/2016 4:11:04 PM, XLAV wrote:

I heard that you are a competitive weightlifter. Can you recommend me a good diet plan for newbies?

No carb diet.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
TheFlex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2016 5:24:14 PM

Currently, I'm just trying to prove to myself I can keep working out consistently. I'm looking for two weeks straight of the gym everyday before I look into routines. I typically hit the gym and just work out certain things a day and rotate between that.
For example: Monday - Chest, Tuesday - Arms, Wednesday - Legs, Thursday - Back, Friday - Cardio, Saturday - Cardio/Rest, Sunday - Rest
I'm trying to do that for two weeks nothing really specific. My diet is kind of typical American, I guess I should say. I know its not good and I'm curbing it. Fast food here in there, a restaurant outing, but mostly home-cooked eating. I'm bringing exclusively salads to work for lunch instead of home-cooked/fast-food/etc.
TheFlex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2016 5:28:07 PM
here and there*

Also, if you've got some advice or anything please let me know. I'm serious about this year's fitness for myself.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2016 8:17:36 PM
Sweet, I'm happy to see this is up and running.

This is the workout routine I'll be following for the next 12 weeks starting today:

https://www.muscleandstrength.com...

It is intermediate level so I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who is just starting off. I've personally already been working on and off again for the last year. With that said, the website that the routine comes from does have tons of beginner level workouts as well, so please check out the site yourself if you need a routine better suited for yourself.

There is also an ab workout that I'm incorporating into it and will be doing about 3 days a week. If you want to see that one just ask :)

My starting weight is 161 lbs. as of today. Will keep weekly updates here.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 3:45:41 AM

Depends what your goals are, weight loss or muscle gain?
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 3:51:46 AM
At 1/4/2016 5:24:14 PM, TheFlex wrote:

Currently, I'm just trying to prove to myself I can keep working out consistently. I'm looking for two weeks straight of the gym everyday before I look into routines. I typically hit the gym and just work out certain things a day and rotate between that.
For example: Monday - Chest, Tuesday - Arms, Wednesday - Legs, Thursday - Back, Friday - Cardio, Saturday - Cardio/Rest, Sunday - Rest
I'm trying to do that for two weeks nothing really specific. My diet is kind of typical American, I guess I should say. I know its not good and I'm curbing it. Fast food here in there, a restaurant outing, but mostly home-cooked eating. I'm bringing exclusively salads to work for lunch instead of home-cooked/fast-food/etc.

Hitting the gym 14 days straight is going to be taxing. Careful not to burn yourself out. If you want a good beginner program, I can whip one up for you.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 11:03:09 AM
At 1/5/2016 3:45:41 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

Muscle gainz
TheFlex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 11:21:03 AM
At 1/5/2016 3:51:46 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

Hitting the gym 14 days straight is going to be taxing. Careful not to burn yourself out. If you want a good beginner program, I can whip one up for you.

Sounds good to me! Appreciate the help.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 5:35:32 PM
At 1/5/2016 11:03:09 AM, XLAV wrote:

Muscle gainz

Oh that's easy then. Whatever you're daily caloric intake is now, add about 300-500 calories per day, and eat around 1g of protien per kilogram of bodyweight. Whenever your weight gain stalls, add another 100-200 calories.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 10:38:59 AM
At 1/5/2016 5:35:32 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
At 1/5/2016 11:03:09 AM, XLAV wrote:

Muscle gainz

Oh that's easy then. Whatever you're daily caloric intake is now, add about 300-500 calories per day, and eat around 1g of protien per kilogram of bodyweight. Whenever your weight gain stalls, add another 100-200 calories.

Thanks.

What about weight loss?
TheFlex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 12:54:27 PM

Standing by for good beginner program. If it helps any I weightlift on and off for a couple of months at a time so I'm not a straight up beginner. I'm just wanting to hit the New Year hard and consistent. Also, I pretty much throw up 225lbs all around. Bench, squat, deadlift -- it seems to be my max or something I can do 3-4 times at most. Hope this helps, and thank you for the help.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 7:47:18 PM
At 1/6/2016 12:10:32 PM, XLAV wrote:
Also, any good suggestions for a home workout?

I'm already a perfect physical specimen and everything, but I'm also curious about this, for funsies...
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 4:01:58 AM
At 1/6/2016 7:47:18 PM, Maikuru wrote:

I'm already a perfect physical specimen and everything, but I'm also curious about this, for funsies...

You just want to LOL at what us plebs have to do to achieve what you got for free with your spider-bite.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 4:49:17 AM

It depends a lot on what equipment you have at home. A gym membership would be ideal, but if you really want to cut costs, there's a few things you can do.

Firstly, purchase a couple 5-gallon water jugs (these here http://tinyurl.com...). They only cost about 6 dollars a piece, but they weigh 40lbs full. A pair of 40lb dumbells, on the other hand, might run you $80-$90. Not only are they much cheaper, but you can alter the weight by reducing the amount of water, making them much more versatile than a pair of set-weight dumbells.

These jugs function basically like kettlebells (which look like this: http://tinyurl.com...) so basically any program that uses kettlebells can be done with these jugs.

Anyway, here's a home-workout you can do with this in mind.

Day 1
Overhead Squat (will look like this: https://i.ytimg.com...)
5 sets 5 reps

Floor-press (http://tinyurl.com...)
5 sets 5 reps

Hammer-curl (http://tinyurl.com...)
3 sets 12 reps (you should just about fail by rep 12 of each set)
Be sure you really focus on keeping the jug straight. Don't let it turn inwards or outwards. This will build your grip-strength.

Lunges (http://tinyurl.com...)
3 sets 12 reps

Day 2
Stiff-leg Deadlifts (http://tinyurl.com...)
5 sets 5 reps
You want the jugs to lightly touch the floor at the bottom of each rep. Be careful not to round your back, keep it neutral.

Shoulder press (http://www.exercisegoals.com...)
5 sets 5 reps
You can do both arms at the same time if you'd prefer.

Shrugs (http://workoutlabs.com...)
3 sets 12 reps

Lateral Raises (http://kumu.brocku.ca...)
3 sets 12 reps
Keep your thumb on the outside when you do this (known as "false-grip" http://reps-id.com...)

When you first start out, do Day 1 on tuesday and day 2 and friday (or if that doesn't work, just do day 1 whenever and do day 2 three days later). After a week or two, do day 1 on monday, day 2 on wednesday, then day 1 again on Friday.

You're going to have to empty/refill the jugs quite a bit per workout, so you might want to invest another $12 or so and get a bunch of different jugs you have pre-set to various weights (you're going to want to weigh the jugs, too).

Every week, add a little more water to the jugs.

When it gets to the point where you can do most of these lifts with full jugs for all sets and reps, it might be time for you to invest in a gym membership. Either that or you can just get bigger jugs or add more sets.
TheFlex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2016 1:17:30 PM
So, I started a week ago and it has gone very well!

1 JAN 2015 - Gym was closed this day. So I ran what I call "The Atomic Mile". Run a mile but every 1 minute/1.5 minutes/2 minutes intervals (depending how hard you want to push yourself) stop and do 10 burpees. I went with 1.5 minute intervals for this.

2 JAN 2015 - Went to the gym and worked out chest for about a little over an hour. Just regular chest exercises like bench, incline, dumbbells, etc.

3 JAN 2015 -Went to the gym, again. Was pushing out some arms exercises. Again, typical things like curls, triceps extensions, etc.

4 JAN 2015 - Leg day. FML. That's all I really need to say about this day. By far, my legs are the most hated thing to work out and it's going to be because of how sore they are 1-2 days after. Such a drag, but it must be done.

5 JAN 2015 - Back and shoulder day.

6 JAN 2015 - Took this day off. Legs killing me.

7 JAN 2015 - Decided to do cardio this day. Ran 3 miles on a 1/4 mile track. Threw in push-ups/burpees/sit-ups and some other exercises after each lap.

8 JAN 2015 - To be determined!

I'm currently working on just eating better in general. There are a couple of times I delved into the snack-bar at work and grabbed something definitely not good for me (oatmeal cream pie, fudge round, etc.). I've been cutting those out though. Eating salads for lunch. Home-cooked meal for dinner. I skip breakfast for the most part but when I do eat it it's just a apple/banana with a nutria-grain bar. I also drink around 2-3 cups of coffee everyday with cream and sugar but I'm thinking about cutting this down as well. But I love coffee.

Hope everyone is hitting 2016 hard and best of luck in the New Year!
Philocat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2016 8:54:47 PM
At 1/6/2016 12:54:27 PM, TheFlex wrote:

Standing by for good beginner program. If it helps any I weightlift on and off for a couple of months at a time so I'm not a straight up beginner. I'm just wanting to hit the New Year hard and consistent. Also, I pretty much throw up 225lbs all around. Bench, squat, deadlift -- it seems to be my max or something I can do 3-4 times at most. Hope this helps, and thank you for the help.

For a beginner, the Stronglifts program is probably the best start to have. Most workouts you find online are for people who are already fairly large and ripped. What works for them might not work for you. This workout, however, is tailored for beginners.

Stronglifts only takes up 3 half-hour workouts a week (separated by rest days), consisting of:

Day 1

5 sets of 5 squats
5 sets of 5 bench press
5 sets of 5 bent-over row

Day 2

5 sets of 5 squats
5 sets of 5 overhead presses
1 set of 5 deadlifts

Day 3

(repeat day 1)

All of these exercises are compound exercises - they train a whole set of muscles instead of isolating just one. The result being that they build a large, bulky physique upon which one can begin to modify by using isolation exercises (which only work one muscle).

To use an analogy, becoming muscular is like sculpting a statue. You need to create the rough shape of the body you want to sculpt (in this case, by doing compound exercises) before you chisel the finer details (isolation exercises).

Furthermore, compound exercises use more muscles which allow you to lift more weight. If you lift more weight, you will build more muscle.

The way this workout builds muscle is by gradually becoming harder. You start at low weight and just lift 5lb more each workout. This gradual increase in weight necessitates that your muscles will have to grow bigger and stronger to cope with the increasing weight.

I did this program for about 10 weeks and I would thoroughly recommend giving it a shot. It's not complicated, it has proven results, it is directed at beginners and only takes up 1.5 hours a week.

http://stronglifts.com...
Philocat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2016 9:05:37 PM
At 1/4/2016 4:01:17 PM, XLAV wrote:
I'm going to start gymming again and this time I'm not going to let college stop me.

Because of limited time and resources, I can only gym on Thursday and Friday. Biceps, triceps and shoulder on Thursday. Chest, abs and back on Friday.

Just a thought (I don't want to be one of those pretentious gym rats who thinks they know it all), but have you considered training biceps and back on the same day instead of separate days?

The reason I say this is because pretty much all good bicep exercises involve the back as well. Pull ups and rows are staples in any back routine, but these exercises are also some of the best for building biceps. Back muscles and the biceps are both 'pulling' muscles - think of any pulling movement and it probably uses both the back muscles and the biceps. Therefore in my opinion it is a lot more efficient (and healthier) to train back and biceps on the same day.

The same can be said of triceps and chest. 'Pushing' movements like bench presses and press ups require both triceps and chest to work together. I would also suggest training these two muscles on the same day.

As you can only gym on two days, I would suggest doing shoulders on tricep and chest day (shoulder presses use both shoulder muscles and triceps) and abs on back day.

Again, I don't want to be a know-it-all, but I love going to the gym and discussing the intricacies of weightlifting (even if I'm not great at it).
What are your thoughts?

Monday and Wednesday, I'll just be doing a morning home workout because of the limited time I have. I'm planning to do cardio for 20 minutes and do abs workout before I go to school.

On Tuesday, I will have to let my college fitness program take the lead.

My rest days are the weekends.

I have no diet plan because I can't control where my friends go during lunch time. However, I will make sure I will focus on eating chicken or protein rich foods and refrain from sweets and fast food.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2016 3:16:58 AM
At 1/8/2016 9:05:37 PM, Philocat wrote:
At 1/4/2016 4:01:17 PM, XLAV wrote:

Just a thought (I don't want to be one of those pretentious gym rats who thinks they know it all), but have you considered training biceps and back on the same day instead of separate days?

The reason I say this is because pretty much all good bicep exercises involve the back as well. Pull ups and rows are staples in any back routine, but these exercises are also some of the best for building biceps. Back muscles and the biceps are both 'pulling' muscles - think of any pulling movement and it probably uses both the back muscles and the biceps. Therefore in my opinion it is a lot more efficient (and healthier) to train back and biceps on the same day.

The same can be said of triceps and chest. 'Pushing' movements like bench presses and press ups require both triceps and chest to work together. I would also suggest training these two muscles on the same day.

As you can only gym on two days, I would suggest doing shoulders on tricep and chest day (shoulder presses use both shoulder muscles and triceps) and abs on back day.

Again, I don't want to be a know-it-all, but I love going to the gym and discussing the intricacies of weightlifting (even if I'm not great at it).
What are your thoughts?
I'm a gym noob and what you said sounds true so yeah, maybe I'll make Thursday a Biceps, Core and back day and Friday my Chest, shoulders, and Triceps.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2016 6:39:33 AM
Sorry I took so long to get around to making a beginner program, but the program Philocat posted is a strong choice, so I recommend it.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2016 12:19:18 PM
Btw, have any of you guys heard of Freeletics?

I see a lot of videos about how Freeletics helped them with their workouts and I wonder what it does and if it works.
Philocat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2016 4:18:25 PM
At 1/9/2016 12:19:18 PM, XLAV wrote:
Btw, have any of you guys heard of Freeletics?

I see a lot of videos about how Freeletics helped them with their workouts and I wonder what it does and if it works.

Freeletics only uses bodyweight exercises, which are good but leave little room for growth. Let me explain; as you workout more you become stronger and hence it becomes a lot easier to lift the amount of weight that you started off lifting. In other words, as you become stronger you aren't challenged as much unless you increase the weight to make sure you're still pushing your body to the limits. But with bodyweight exercises, you cannot realistically add weight. This means that with bodyweight exercises, initial growth is good but after a while the growth slows.

If you cannot go to the gym, then it's still far better than doing nothing. But if you can go to the gym and use free weights, then I would recommend these instead of just doing bodyweight exercises.