Jump to topic:

Sleep

vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2010 4:21:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
How important sleep is and is under 7 hours for a teenager okay?
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
Alex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2010 5:12:45 PM
At 11/4/2010 4:21:49 PM, vardas0antras wrote:
How important sleep is and is under 7 hours for a teenager okay?

"Under 7 hours" Could mean anywhere from 1 second up until 7 hours, you should be more specific.

I can run okay off of 5 but am pretty tired.
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2010 5:16:03 PM
At 11/4/2010 4:57:59 PM, OreEle wrote:
Sleep is so important, that it is worth skipping school for.

You know I should use this as an excuse for tomorrow
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2010 5:17:10 PM
When you are growing and going through growth spurts, you will need around 7 to 8 hours of sleep. A lack of sleep can stunt the hormones that trigger growth. Of course, having a single 5 hour night is not going to cut 3 inches off of you, but you do want to have a habit of a good amount of sleep.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2010 8:08:27 PM
REM sleep is how the human body records long-term memory. There is an actual expiration date for short term memory and sleep deprivation leads to memory loss. Dreams are actually a byproduct of this recording process.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 12:16:46 AM
At 11/4/2010 8:08:27 PM, Kleptin wrote:
REM sleep is how the human body records long-term memory. There is an actual expiration date for short term memory and sleep deprivation leads to memory loss. Dreams are actually a byproduct of this recording process.

And thats why my memory sucks.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 6:51:49 PM
You have to sleep at least nine hours a day. This is recommended. Although a recent study showed that women who sleep six hours live longer than those who sleep more, this should not be taken seriously yet at all.

I personally have much experience with lack of sleep, and I must tell you that it is not worth anything. Getting enough sleep is extremely important for your well being. If you have had trouble sleeping at appointed terms, then you can always recover. There is a cure for everything. Lack of sleep can cause irritability, weaken the immune system, give headache, redden eyes, cause dark circles under the eyes, make your skin sort of dry and weak, make your eyes itchy, disturb a lot of your concentration, fatigue (which is extremely horrible), and so forth. Do yourself a favor and sleep nine hours, get used to it, and see how it goes.

Read this: http://www.debate.org...
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 6:56:05 PM

that explains why my dreams are so boring :(
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 8:33:40 PM
At 11/5/2010 6:51:49 PM, Mirza wrote:
You have to sleep at least nine hours a day. This is recommended. Although a recent study showed that women who sleep six hours live longer than those who sleep more, this should not be taken seriously yet at all.

I personally have much experience with lack of sleep, and I must tell you that it is not worth anything. Getting enough sleep is extremely important for your well being. If you have had trouble sleeping at appointed terms, then you can always recover. There is a cure for everything. Lack of sleep can cause irritability, weaken the immune system, give headache, redden eyes, cause dark circles under the eyes, make your skin sort of dry and weak, make your eyes itchy, disturb a lot of your concentration, fatigue (which is extremely horrible), and so forth. Do yourself a favor and sleep nine hours, get used to it, and see how it goes.

Read this: http://www.debate.org...

Lol I'm lucky if I get 4 hours of sleep.
Tonight plus today lets total my amount of sleep tho.
Fell asleep around 2:30 Woke up at 7
(4 1/2)
Fell asleep around 8 woke up at 10
(6 1/2)
Fell asleep 10:30 woke up at 4
(12)
Fell asleep at 4:30 woke up again around 6:30
(14)

So that makes up for lost sleep, right? (I'm still tired, about to go back to sleep gotta wake up 12 hours from now tho)

So with that information I get the healing and memory benefits of sleeping, but the health benefits of not sleeping ^-^

Also, studies also show that sex makes people healthier, prettier, more relaxed, live longer etc.
Women that have sex instead of sleeping should then be the healthiest :p
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2010 5:45:56 AM
At 11/5/2010 8:33:40 PM, lovelife wrote:
(4 1/2)
(6 1/2)
(12)
(14)

So that makes up for lost sleep, right? (I'm still tired, about to go back to sleep gotta wake up 12 hours from now tho)
No. You are sleeping too much this way. Sleeping more than nine hours is also unhealthy. It is not about sleeping too little or too much, but moderately. Nine hours is the best as most modern studies show. You also need to sleep straightforward. If you sleep from 1am to 8pm and then sleep for two hours more from 11am to 1pm, it will not help very much. You might feel less fatigue and be more fresh, but you will still lack all the good qualities of getting nine hours of straightforward sleep.

So with that information I get the healing and memory benefits of sleeping, but the health benefits of not sleeping ^-^
No, not at all.

Also, studies also show that sex makes people healthier, prettier, more relaxed, live longer etc.
No, that is not true. Sex is healthy, but sleep is more important.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2010 6:36:25 PM
At 11/6/2010 5:45:56 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 11/5/2010 8:33:40 PM, lovelife wrote:
(4 1/2)
(6 1/2)
(12)
(14)

No. You are sleeping too much this way. Sleeping more than nine hours is also unhealthy. It is not about sleeping too little or too much, but moderately. Nine hours is the best as most modern studies show. You also need to sleep straightforward. If you sleep from 1am to 8pm and then sleep for two hours more from 11am to 1pm, it will not help very much. You might feel less fatigue and be more fresh, but you will still lack all the good qualities of getting nine hours of straightforward sleep.

I will never be able to stay asleep for 9 hours unless I'm put into a coma or something. And then I'd be pissed.

No, not at all.

No, that is not true. Sex is healthy, but sleep is more important.

Nah I'd say they are equal. Sleep just maintains your health, sex actually improves it.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2010 7:25:13 PM
At 11/6/2010 6:36:25 PM, lovelife wrote:
I will never be able to stay asleep for 9 hours unless I'm put into a coma or something. And then I'd be pissed.
It is most probably a bad habit.

Nah I'd say they are equal. Sleep just maintains your health, sex actually improves it.
Not true. Sleep can improve your health if it is not good, and brings a lot of good psychological effects.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2010 7:58:12 PM
At 11/6/2010 7:25:13 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 11/6/2010 6:36:25 PM, lovelife wrote:
It is most probably a bad habit.

Idk. Even when I go into deep sleep I have to wake up within 5-6 hours of falling asleep. Most of the time because I have to do something, like let the dog outside, help my bros when they have nightmares, get them up and ready for school etc

Not true. Sleep can improve your health if it is not good, and brings a lot of good psychological effects.

As a typical rule it only maintains itself.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2010 8:03:58 PM
At 11/6/2010 7:58:12 PM, lovelife wrote:
Idk. Even when I go into deep sleep I have to wake up within 5-6 hours of falling asleep. Most of the time because I have to do something, like let the dog outside, help my bros when they have nightmares, get them up and ready for school etc
It is not very hard to make a plan for all of it, and still sleep at least eight hours, which is extremely much better than five-six hours.

As a typical rule it only maintains itself.
Well, for someone who sleeps five-six hours, I can assure you that an extended amount of sleep is as good as possible.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2010 12:37:59 AM
I'll sleep when I'm dead.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2010 5:52:16 AM
I can't just make a plan, I'm a really light sleeper. If one of my bros freaks out, I'm awake, If my stepdad coughs I'm awake, If he snores too loud I'm awake, If my dog scratches his ear (he has a jingle bell collaar now....) I'm awake.
Hell even before he got the collar I'd be awake if he jumped off the bed.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2011 2:26:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
REM sleep is how the human body records long-term memory. There is an actual expiration date for short term memory and sleep deprivation leads to memory loss. Dreams are actually a byproduct of this recording process.:

Well, I'm f*cked... Being in the military (especially being underway) means that I average 5-6 hours of interrupted sleep for months on end. We're the walking dead, yet the body somehow becomes accustomed to it. You're exhausted, but somehow you get used to being tired all the time and learn how to function.

I know it's not good for you in the long term, but there is nothing that can be done. You privileged bastards who sleep 9 hours a day should feel damn lucky to consistently sleep that long. I've been averaging 4 a night for about a week now.
I actually slept 7 hours last though, and am happier than a pig in sh*t.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Osiris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2011 5:23:42 PM
At 11/5/2010 6:51:49 PM, Mirza wrote:

Nine hours seems a bit much, but I guess. I average about 5-7 hrs a night. I'm a really light sleeper and once I hear noise, I'm awake for good no matter how late I went to bed.

http://kidshealth.org...
http://www.mayoclinic.com...
"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire
Ogan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2011 5:21:45 PM
Its not the amount of sleep that's important, its depth or quality. After a late night on the tiles and up early in the morning for work I came up with a mental plan - why not try it, it worked for me. I get to bed say at 1am and I need to be up at 7am. I tell myself its 12 Midday and being a right lazy sloth I will treat myself to a day in bed and not get up until 6pm in the evening, then I just relax and drift off with a grin.
laleona89
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2011 2:02:15 PM
sleeping to much makes you feel horrible, I wouldn't recommend it. If you sleep too much you feel like a zombie. It's like you're body has now gotten used to being tired all the time that you feel awake, but tired at the same time.
I know this because I have narcolepsy, which is a sleeping disorder, and when I have those days in which I can't stay awake, which is horrible.
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2011 11:22:57 PM
At 11/4/2010 4:57:59 PM, OreEle wrote:
Sleep is so important, that it is worth skipping school for.

This. Does anyone else notice the glitch in replies? It acts as if everything has an extra ":" behind it.
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2011 10:06:23 PM

If this were genuinely true in precisely literal terms, then I am 100% completely insane.
ruelariat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 10:39:31 PM
every teacher I've had that's ever cared about my health has always told me 8 hours is what we should be getting at least every night. I'm winging it on four hours every day and doing track so I guess it's perfectly fine so long as there's an adrenaline rush. In all of my boring classes I fall asleep, though. Why do you ask? Are you an insomniac?
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 12:21:31 PM
Honestly, I don't like sleep. There's not enough time in a 24 hour day to waste time on that; I could be doing other things. Not to mention it's boring.

The only time I like sleep is of I'm extremely tired, but that's rare.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 12:32:04 PM

Can you give me the source for this?
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 1:38:01 PM
At 1/19/2011 12:32:04 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:

Can you give me the source for this?

Though I am sure that sleep deprivation leads to memory loss I am not sure that the above is completely true. <shrug>.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.