Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

Psychopaths and Sociopaths

Foodiesoul
Posts: 579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2016 3:31:28 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
This is a serious question I have!

What is the difference between a psychopath and a sociopath? They both seem the same to me!
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,860
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 5:51:25 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/7/2016 3:31:28 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
This is a serious question I have!

What is the difference between a psychopath and a sociopath? They both seem the same to me!

A sociopath is someone with antisocial personality disorder. This is characterized by a pervasive pattern of disregard for the rights of others. Repeated lawbreaking, deceitfulness/manipulative (instrumental gains), impulsivity, irritability and aggressiveness, reckless disregard for own safety and that of others, irresponsibility as seen in unreliable employment or financial history (skilled, but self-destructive), and lack of remorse.

A psychopath is the violent sociopath. Unlike sociopaths, psychopaths don't care for instrumental gain. They hurt others for the sake of doing it. Psychopathy is not included in the DSM and is nowadays used interchangeably with sociopathy. However, according to Hervey Cleckley, the key characteristics of psychopathy is poverty of emotions, both positive and negative: Psychopathic people have no sense of shame, and their seemingly positive feelings for others are merely an act. Their lack of anxiety might make it impossible for them to learn from their mistakes, and their lack of remorse leads them to behave irresponsibly, and often cruelly and violently toward others. If someone kills without remorse, they are most likely a psychopath. Sociopaths do not have truly violent tendencies and most likely will not kill or severely harm someone, unlike a psychopath.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Foodiesoul
Posts: 579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 11:53:15 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/8/2016 5:51:25 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 7/7/2016 3:31:28 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
This is a serious question I have!

What is the difference between a psychopath and a sociopath? They both seem the same to me!

A sociopath is someone with antisocial personality disorder. This is characterized by a pervasive pattern of disregard for the rights of others. Repeated lawbreaking, deceitfulness/manipulative (instrumental gains), impulsivity, irritability and aggressiveness, reckless disregard for own safety and that of others, irresponsibility as seen in unreliable employment or financial history (skilled, but self-destructive), and lack of remorse.

A psychopath is the violent sociopath. Unlike sociopaths, psychopaths don't care for instrumental gain. They hurt others for the sake of doing it. Psychopathy is not included in the DSM and is nowadays used interchangeably with sociopathy. However, according to Hervey Cleckley, the key characteristics of psychopathy is poverty of emotions, both positive and negative: Psychopathic people have no sense of shame, and their seemingly positive feelings for others are merely an act. Their lack of anxiety might make it impossible for them to learn from their mistakes, and their lack of remorse leads them to behave irresponsibly, and often cruelly and violently toward others. If someone kills without remorse, they are most likely a psychopath. Sociopaths do not have truly violent tendencies and most likely will not kill or severely harm someone, unlike a psychopath.

Wait but not all antisocial people are sociopaths, right? I'm pretty anti-social but I wouldn't call myself an actual sociopath!
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,860
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 12:05:27 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/8/2016 11:53:15 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
At 7/8/2016 5:51:25 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 7/7/2016 3:31:28 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
This is a serious question I have!

What is the difference between a psychopath and a sociopath? They both seem the same to me!

A sociopath is someone with antisocial personality disorder. This is characterized by a pervasive pattern of disregard for the rights of others. Repeated lawbreaking, deceitfulness/manipulative (instrumental gains), impulsivity, irritability and aggressiveness, reckless disregard for own safety and that of others, irresponsibility as seen in unreliable employment or financial history (skilled, but self-destructive), and lack of remorse.

A psychopath is the violent sociopath. Unlike sociopaths, psychopaths don't care for instrumental gain. They hurt others for the sake of doing it. Psychopathy is not included in the DSM and is nowadays used interchangeably with sociopathy. However, according to Hervey Cleckley, the key characteristics of psychopathy is poverty of emotions, both positive and negative: Psychopathic people have no sense of shame, and their seemingly positive feelings for others are merely an act. Their lack of anxiety might make it impossible for them to learn from their mistakes, and their lack of remorse leads them to behave irresponsibly, and often cruelly and violently toward others. If someone kills without remorse, they are most likely a psychopath. Sociopaths do not have truly violent tendencies and most likely will not kill or severely harm someone, unlike a psychopath.

Wait but not all antisocial people are sociopaths, right? I'm pretty anti-social but I wouldn't call myself an actual sociopath!

Sociopathy is the same thing as anti-social personality disorder. That's just what it's called. You can be anti-social and not have anti-social personality disorder.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
ironslippers
Posts: 520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 9:54:06 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/7/2016 3:31:28 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
This is a serious question I have!

What is the difference between a psychopath and a sociopath? They both seem the same to me!

psychopaths are organized
sociopaths are reactive
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
someloser
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 10:17:10 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/13/2016 9:54:06 PM, ironslippers wrote:
psychopaths are organized
sociopaths are reactive
Basically.

But both are admired.
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
ironslippers
Posts: 520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 6:52:34 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/13/2016 10:17:10 PM, someloser wrote:
At 7/13/2016 9:54:06 PM, ironslippers wrote:
psychopaths are organized
sociopaths are reactive
Basically.

But both are admired.

Achievement through coercion is not something I admire
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 8:51:30 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
I don't think there has ever been a clear consensus on the psychological community on how to define these terms, and they continue to be somewhat slang as opposed to something you'll get diagnosed formally with. If you have antisocial personality disorder, that's sort of the new "sociopath," but not really.

The way it was described to me years ago was that a sociopath will stab you with a knife because of a lack of empathy,behold a psychopath will stab you thinking he is cutting a cake.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Quadrunner
Posts: 1,168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 3:22:40 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 9/17/2016 8:51:30 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
I don't think there has ever been a clear consensus on the psychological community on how to define these terms, and they continue to be somewhat slang as opposed to something you'll get diagnosed formally with. If you have antisocial personality disorder, that's sort of the new "sociopath," but not really.

The way it was described to me years ago was that a sociopath will stab you with a knife because of a lack of empathy,behold a psychopath will stab you thinking he is cutting a cake.

You say stab and they are scary, but I wonder how many live their entire lives not hurting anyone because it is beneficial to them not required, or just learned in a different way?
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.