Jump to topic:

ADD and ADHD

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 5:21:03 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
There's a lot of controversy surrounding these diagnoses which I think is interesting. I'm of the camp that believes these conditions are over-diagnosed and often misdiagnosed, but that they are real problems and medication can help. Personally, I seem to have a really obvious case of ADD which seemed to develop later on; I don't think I had it as a kid (which is strange). A part of me does wonder if social conditioning is relevant -- for example they say we have ADD as a society now because we expect rapid-fire information and are constantly distracted by engaging in/with multiple forms of technology at once. But regardless, I truly suffer from this condition and my prescribed medication (Adderall) helps me though I don't take it regularly.

What are your thoughts on this? Do any of you have ADD?
President of DDO
someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 10:10:52 PM
Great thread.

At 7/13/2016 5:21:03 PM, Danielle wrote:
A part of me does wonder if social conditioning is relevant -- for example they say we have ADD as a society now because we expect rapid-fire information and are constantly distracted by engaging in/with multiple forms of technology at once.
Yea, it is.

There's this strange tendency (particularly in les Etats) to implicitly place the onus of any mental condition on the troubled individual, as if their psychological state existed or developed in a vacuum. When, really...the opposite is the case.

You could say mental "illnesses" or "disorders" are a type of spandrel. https://en.wikipedia.org...(biology) ... but the type that arises as a response to (a particular form of) human society.

Suffering cannot be justified when it is the result of (artificial, modifiable) social organization rather than the laws of nature. But many (particularly those in power) act like it is.

Maybe because it props up entire (very profitable) industries of socially-sanctioned drug dealers.

Maybe because it's more convenient for many to believe it results from individual defectiveness rather than a social system many people can't (and should not) be expected to adapt to.

And, of course, none of this is to say that mental illnesses or conditions aren't real or important. They are.

But regardless, I truly suffer from this condition and my prescribed medication (Adderall) helps me though I don't take it regularly.
Medication can be effective. But there are many, many reasons to object for it.

Do any of you have ADD?
I have enough symptoms to be diagnosed with that, so maybe.
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
RainbowDash52
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 12:12:37 AM
There's a lot of controversy surrounding these diagnoses which I think is interesting. I'm of the camp that believes these conditions are over-diagnosed and often misdiagnosed, but that they are real problems and medication can help. Personally, I seem to have a really obvious case of ADD which seemed to develop later on; I don't think I had it as a kid (which is strange). A part of me does wonder if social conditioning is relevant -- for example they say we have ADD as a society now because we expect rapid-fire information and are constantly distracted by engaging in/with multiple forms of technology at once. But regardless, I truly suffer from this condition and my prescribed medication (Adderall) helps me though I don't take it regularly.

I was diagnosed with ADD at age 5, but it turned out that I actually just have aspergers.

The term ADD only groups together several completely different disorders with overlapping symptoms into the same group.
Kreakin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2016 9:53:02 PM
ADHD is a childhood developmental condition, it sounds unlikely you went undiagnosed for so long. Check this site: http://drrachelvgow.com...
Vitaminz1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 4:51:56 AM

I have been diagnosed with ADD, ADHD, and Dyslexia by many professionals and many others said the opposite. So at least half of the, "professionals" I've met have been wrong.

More recently I was only diagnosed with Dyslexia which I can see in myself today. I didn't learn to speak till I was 4 Then reading and writing took years at a school made for learning disabilities. Majority of the kids there had ADHD so I don't think it's not common.

And tech definitely influences ADD.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 12:30:58 AM

I think technology can detract from focus but real ADD is actually characterized by chronically low dopamine levels, which is why dopaminergic drugs are effective as a treatment. It is also comorbid with other issues like depression, anxiety and sometimes some physical symptoms like Restless Leg Syndrome. Many times people with ADD are uniquely creative and 'think outside the box'.

I have ADD. I took Adderall for a couple years but the benefits declined and the detriments increased. I have terrible insomnia from a brain that wont stop so had to stop Adderall.

I have always had a hard time focusing on things I am not interested in but I get hyperfocused on things I am interested in like business, science, philosophy, art, etc. The stigma that ADD people are less intelligent or have less to contribute simply isnt true. I wasn't a great student but I'm in the genius range and I was a millionaire by the time I was 35.

Now if I need to focus or I need a burst of creativity, I smoke marijuana. Technically, consumable cannabis can be divided into two species - sativa and indica. I smoke sativa for focus, energy and creativity and indica to sleep.

Incidentally, I have found ADD people far more interesting and colorful than non-ADD people. Most of my friends and most of the women I have dated could probably be diagnosed as having ADD.