Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

Physical exercise.

GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 7:19:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I have to say, I would rather have a physically demanding life style than a mentally demanding life style.

I quite adore exercise, not just to keep fit and in shape, but to increase my physical ability, which includes increase in strength, muscle mass and endurance.

But to achieve those things without eating the right foods just puts more stress on your body than good.

Of course, mental ability is important, it is easy to give up and go home after 45 minutes at the gym, and that is where mental ability comes in. To keep persevering and to not give in to non-nutritional foods, such as doughnuts, chocolate, ice cream, 'fries' [as the Americas say] and other junk food (that includes alcohol like beer, cider etc...).

As I like to say, unhealthy food satisfies the tongue, but healthy food satisfies the body.

So physical exercise is a wonderful thing, and one of the best habits any person can have. Who else here shares this passion?
TheAtheistAllegiance
Posts: 1,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 11:39:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/4/2011 7:19:08 PM, GodSands wrote:
I have to say, I would rather have a physically demanding life style than a mentally demanding life style.

I quite adore exercise, not just to keep fit and in shape, but to increase my physical ability, which includes increase in strength, muscle mass and endurance.

But to achieve those things without eating the right foods just puts more stress on your body than good.

Of course, mental ability is important, it is easy to give up and go home after 45 minutes at the gym, and that is where mental ability comes in. To keep persevering and to not give in to non-nutritional foods, such as doughnuts, chocolate, ice cream, 'fries' [as the Americas say] and other junk food (that includes alcohol like beer, cider etc...).

As I like to say, unhealthy food satisfies the tongue, but healthy food satisfies the body.

So physical exercise is a wonderful thing, and one of the best habits any person can have. Who else here shares this passion?

The lord gave me nice genetics, so I can eat all the junk food I want and stay in pretty good shape. Although, I do feel like crap when I don't get enough decent food in my system.. Other than that, I have to force myself to exercise because I'm a lazy person.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2011 7:07:59 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
So physical exercise is a wonderful thing, and one of the best habits any person can have. Who else here shares this passion?:

I definitely do, but for the last 2 months or so I've completely gotten off of track due to my deployment schedule. As a result, I've been sick lately and feel like garbage. I can't wait to get back in to the gym.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2011 8:10:34 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I share the passion, but I have not exercised for real because the fitness clubs are relatively expensive for me right now. Exercise is healty for the mind, too. You reduce stress, improve your concentration, and you dig deeper into your intelligence, as studies have suggested.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2011 1:09:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/4/2011 7:19:08 PM, GodSands wrote:
I have to say, I would rather have a physically demanding life style than a mentally demanding life style.


That is probably for the best, for you.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2011 1:34:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I eat loads of fried, fatty food and I drink quite a lot of booze as well and I never go to the gym, but I still don't put on weight.

Actually, I wish I could put on, say, another stone (14ilbs) or so, but I just can't.

Does anyone know if those powdered protein drinks work or not?
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2011 1:36:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/5/2011 1:34:27 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
I eat loads of fried, fatty food and I drink quite a lot of booze as well and I never go to the gym, but I still don't put on weight.

Actually, I wish I could put on, say, another stone (14ilbs) or so, but I just can't.

Does anyone know if those powdered protein drinks work or not?

They apparently do, oh you could just switch to a diet of mostly lean meat. That will turn your fat to muscle.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2011 1:39:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Does anyone know if those powdered protein drinks work or not?:

If you don't work out they'll just turn to fatty cells.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2011 1:47:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/5/2011 1:39:30 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Does anyone know if those powdered protein drinks work or not?:

If you don't work out they'll just turn to fatty cells.

That's what I thought.

It's probably best to eat more lean meat as C_N suggests.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2011 1:54:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/5/2011 1:36:35 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 1/5/2011 1:34:27 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
I eat loads of fried, fatty food and I drink quite a lot of booze as well and I never go to the gym, but I still don't put on weight.

Actually, I wish I could put on, say, another stone (14ilbs) or so, but I just can't.

Does anyone know if those powdered protein drinks work or not?

They apparently do, oh you could just switch to a diet of mostly lean meat. That will turn your fat to muscle.

Powdered protein drinks often contain simple processed sugars and are easily digested. If you're worried about calorie intake, eat lean protein instead, since it has a higher thermic value (more energy is expended - as heat - when your body processes it). Many professional bodybuilders eat ridiculous numbers of egg whites, rather than relying on protein powder, because it is thought to be healthier.

Fat doesn't "turn to muscle." Muscle building and fat loss are two entirely different processes that require different things. Many bodybuilders "bulk" by eating a ton and lifting a ton, gaining both muscle mass and body fat relatively quickly, then they "cut" right before competition, eating fewer calories and doing lots of cardio to just cut away the fat, but doing some lifting to maintain the muscle mass.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Sieben
Posts: 2,736
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2011 2:12:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Order to get things right in

1) Eating - Small, frequent meals. Complex unprocessed carbs ala irish oats, brown rice, sweet potatoes, etc. Lean proteins like egg whites, tilapia, lean ground turkey (99/1), lean ground beef (96/4). Cook beef on a george foreman if you can.

2) Training - train smart. Read a lot of articles on bodybuilding.com. Once you've got the hang of it, train as hard as you can. This is one thing all successful weightlifters have in common.

3) Sleep at least 8 hours a day at the same time. Wake up at the same time. Take a 20 minute nap around noon to recharge.

4) ???

5) Profit

6) Supplements - ON's protein powders are among the best quality. But really, supplements will not make a huge difference.

http://dannypadilla.com... Franco Columbu (right) never used protein powders or steroids to win Mr. Universe.
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
THE_OPINIONATOR
Posts: 575
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 9:12:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I prefer both physically and mentally demanding life style because what is the sense of being smart but weak and strong but stupid?
My Blog: Life Through The Eyes of a Christian

http://bloggingforjchrist.blogspot.com...

Life Through The Eyes of a Christian Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com...