Jump to topic:

Concussions

Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 3:35:34 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
For those who still say 'walk it off' I can tell you, the cumulative nature of concussions makes them exceedingly dangerous. I am recovering from my 4th major concussion since 2013. This last one, I actually suffered hallucinations, hearing sounds not there, the feeling of things crawling on you, halos when looking at lights, anxiety... All which the neurologist said were normal for cumulative head trauma. They are keeping me out of work till the 12th.

I used to think it was being over dramatized. Life has taught me different.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 1:16:26 PM
At 9/4/2016 3:35:34 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
For those who still say 'walk it off' I can tell you, the cumulative nature of concussions makes them exceedingly dangerous. I am recovering from my 4th major concussion since 2013. This last one, I actually suffered hallucinations, hearing sounds not there, the feeling of things crawling on you, halos when looking at lights, anxiety... All which the neurologist said were normal for cumulative head trauma. They are keeping me out of work till the 12th.

I've coached recreational youth soccer for many years. Within the last 2 or 3 there has been much more education on the dangers. The local high school has a trainer who's main focus is concussion prevention and detection. Many of the clubs and organizations have come up with pretty specific guidelines on what to look for and what to do if it's suspected. But as always more can be done. Some of the sports medicine docs have helped out with education as well.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 10:41:06 PM
At 9/8/2016 1:16:26 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 9/4/2016 3:35:34 PM, Stymie13 wrote:

I've coached recreational youth soccer for many years. Within the last 2 or 3 there has been much more education on the dangers. The local high school has a trainer who's main focus is concussion prevention and detection. Many of the clubs and organizations have come up with pretty specific guidelines on what to look for and what to do if it's suspected. But as always more can be done. Some of the sports medicine docs have helped out with education as well.

I coached soccer as well. Additionally I played football, baseball, basketball, soccer, and competed in mma. I have no idea how many I suffered in my teens-30s but 4 in my early 40s has me much more cautious.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 3:07:23 PM
At 9/14/2016 11:18:33 AM, Stymie13 wrote:
Gliosis leading to glial scarring results of concussions.

dang! hope you don't suffer too many ill affects and you have a good doctor.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 3:36:46 PM
There is no treatment from cns damage resulting from concussions but time and brain exercises. Thankfully it is not, from trauma, a precursor to ALS, MLS, or Parkinson's. It can result in cte in extreme cases. But I can never spar again that's for sure.