Jump to topic:

Why are drugs illegal?

DrKaboom44
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2016 4:10:36 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
I understand that they can kill you because of overdosing. I understand that they can make you go crazy and lose control of yourself. I understand that you could possibly hurt people why on drugs, but all of this can be done with alcohol and other prescription medicines and other legal items. If drugs were legalized and controlled by the government really well then whats there to fear? If you can regulate who does get drugs and how much they use then whats to fear? Plus it would reduce drug cartels because more people can get drugs legally.
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2016 4:12:23 PM
At 11/23/2016 4:10:36 PM, DrKaboom44 wrote:
I understand that they can kill you because of overdosing. I understand that they can make you go crazy and lose control of yourself. I understand that you could possibly hurt people why on drugs, but all of this can be done with alcohol and other prescription medicines and other legal items. If drugs were legalized and controlled by the government really well then whats there to fear? If you can regulate who does get drugs and how much they use then whats to fear? Plus it would reduce drug cartels because more people can get drugs legally.

Because they can harm others, and I just don't like them.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
DrKaboom44
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2016 4:14:20 PM
At 11/23/2016 4:12:23 PM, fire_wings wrote:

I could see how they could harm others, but if people took drugs in controlled environment's or in their own homes then there wouldn't be much worry that they would harm other's.
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2016 4:15:31 PM
At 11/23/2016 4:14:20 PM, DrKaboom44 wrote:

I could see how they could harm others, but if people took drugs in controlled environment's or in their own homes then there wouldn't be much worry that they would harm other's.

the thing is that they don't *only* do it in their houses, and obviously they won't *only* eat drugs in their homes. And they can still go out and harm some people.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
DrKaboom44
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2016 4:19:36 PM
At 11/23/2016 4:15:31 PM, fire_wings wrote:

the thing is that they don't *only* do it in their houses, and obviously they won't *only* eat drugs in their homes. And they can still go out and harm some people.

True, but if the police knew who to check up on to make sure they aren't hurting anyone and they could go straight to jail if they went into public or some sort of law to keep them inside.

Also eat drugs? :)
Lynx_N
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2016 5:21:43 PM
At 11/23/2016 4:19:36 PM, DrKaboom44 wrote:

True, but if the police knew who to check up on to make sure they aren't hurting anyone and they could go straight to jail if they went into public or some sort of law to keep them inside.

So full time surveillance on all junkies then?
I wonder if there's enough police officers around for something like that?
How about ankle bracelets on the junkies, that way the police could keep tabs on them at all times and just pick them up as soon as they're wandering around somewhere.
Bronto?
Congrats.

poet
DrKaboom44
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2016 5:38:43 PM
At 11/23/2016 5:21:43 PM, Lynx_N wrote:
At 11/23/2016 4:19:36 PM, DrKaboom44 wrote:

So full time surveillance on all junkies then?
I wonder if there's enough police officers around for something like that?
How about ankle bracelets on the junkies, that way the police could keep tabs on them at all times and just pick them up as soon as they're wandering around somewhere.

That seems more logical
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2016 6:31:11 PM
I think it's important to note that we take drugs all the time, there is an arbitrary line in the sand that differentiates the ones which are legal, controlled, and illegal.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2016 7:12:32 PM
Because the government thinks they know what's best for you.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2016 7:48:12 PM

It started out as a misguided attempt to ensure the safety of the population from overdoses and addiction, but, now that we know that, not only does the war on drugs not work, but that "soft drugs" aren't even worth regulating, the explanation can only be money. Private prisons and the DEA make billions off of prosecuting drug offenders, and the pharmaceutical industry would love to keep marijuana illegal so that people have to take their drugs instead, even though we know that marijuana serves some medicinal use (although it's often overstated).
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2016 8:15:44 PM
At 11/23/2016 7:48:12 PM, Subutai wrote:

It started out as a misguided attempt to ensure the safety of the population from overdoses and addiction, but, now that we know that, not only does the war on drugs not work, but that "soft drugs" aren't even worth regulating, the explanation can only be money. Private prisons and the DEA make billions off of prosecuting drug offenders, and the pharmaceutical industry would love to keep marijuana illegal so that people have to take their drugs instead, even though we know that marijuana serves some medicinal use (although it's often overstated).

Just legalize and sin tax the fvck out of it. That way it's a win-win. Though I think it should be legalized and taxed as tobacco is. Maybe minus the scare tactics.

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2016 8:19:50 PM
At 11/23/2016 8:15:44 PM, lannan13 wrote:

Just legalize and sin tax the fvck out of it. That way it's a win-win. Though I think it should be legalized and taxed as tobacco is. Maybe minus the scare tactics.

That's not a bad idea, but remember that those groups (private prisons (which should really be eliminated though), the DEA (same thing), and the pharmaceutical industry, plus religious groups and other organizations) either make money off the war on drugs or have some moral opposition to legalized drugs, so none of them will be satisfied with drug legalization, even if its taxed. And these groups spend millions on lobbying every year to make their point known in Congress.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2016 8:21:01 PM
At 11/23/2016 8:19:50 PM, Subutai wrote:

That's not a bad idea, but remember that those groups (private prisons (which should really be eliminated though), the DEA (same thing), and the pharmaceutical industry, plus religious groups and other organizations) either make money off the war on drugs or have some moral opposition to legalized drugs, so none of them will be satisfied with drug legalization, even if its taxed. And these groups spend millions on lobbying every year to make their point known in Congress.

I think we'll just see the same thing like what happened with Gay Marriage. State by state will legalize it until the Supreme Court legalizes it all (probably LSD and other stuff as well).

Dujec
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2016 11:46:58 PM

Agreed and this has terrible consequences for anyone in the U.S. who has struggled with addiction. Countries that have used that 'war money' to actually rehabilitate addicts have been very successful while addiction rates have been flat for all the millions gained in the war against drugs in the U.S. piles up... drops benzos.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2016 4:15:32 AM
Posted: 6 days ago

These sin taxes...they are just oppressive. I don't believe in them. Beats illigal for those involved though
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2016 2:23:20 AM
Posted: 5 days ago
At 12/3/2016 4:15:32 AM, Quadrunner wrote:

These sin taxes...they are just oppressive. I don't believe in them. Beats illigal for those involved though

That's my point.

xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2016 4:37:40 PM
Posted: 1 day ago
back in the 1800s when there were no laws against a drug many people were harmed by a drug they took. Since then we are only allowed to sell "drugs" that have been proven to be safe and effective.
They used to have "over the counter" medicines in stores anyone could buy, that contained heroin. By making heroin illegal they stopped ever so many people from using it and getting addicted.
Did they stop everybody? No, criminals have kept selling heroin, but the law seemed to have stopped many people from getting heroin, so heroin related health problems were greatly reduced.
They tried to eliminate alcohol by prohibition. Eventually the government gave up on that project because it caused so much crime.
We are now allowed to have alcohol and way more people are harmed by alcohol than all the illegal drugs. There would probably be more people being harmed by heroin if it were legal, but we don't know that for sure.
Maybe they should make tobacco illegal because nicotine is the most addictive drug, but our prisons are filled to capacity with people caught selling drugs, so they never even tried to make nicotine illegal.
This is not fair. The government protects some people by keeping them from buying the illegal drugs that they may have become addicted to , yet if you are addicted to nicotine or alcohol, you allowed to buy the harmful substance you think you need.
if they made these 2 harmful things illegal, we could wind up with more people in prison then are on the streets, so we know that ain't gonna work.
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2016 4:54:22 PM
Posted: 1 day ago
"I think we'll just see the same thing like what happened with Gay Marriage. State by state will legalize it until the Supreme Court legalizes it all (probably LSD and other stuff as well)."
Not all the states legalized gay marriage, only the states with lower morality.
Then that lesbian judge Obama hired talked the court into finding these laws unconstitutional.
So now we have to believe a man can marry another man, I'm pretty sure he can only marry 1 man though. If he married 2 or 3 men that would be polygamy.