Jump to topic:

Why are drugs illegal?

DrKaboom44
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2016 4:10:36 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
I understand that they can kill you because of overdosing. I understand that they can make you go crazy and lose control of yourself. I understand that you could possibly hurt people why on drugs, but all of this can be done with alcohol and other prescription medicines and other legal items. If drugs were legalized and controlled by the government really well then whats there to fear? If you can regulate who does get drugs and how much they use then whats to fear? Plus it would reduce drug cartels because more people can get drugs legally.
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2016 4:12:23 PM
At 11/23/2016 4:10:36 PM, DrKaboom44 wrote:
I understand that they can kill you because of overdosing. I understand that they can make you go crazy and lose control of yourself. I understand that you could possibly hurt people why on drugs, but all of this can be done with alcohol and other prescription medicines and other legal items. If drugs were legalized and controlled by the government really well then whats there to fear? If you can regulate who does get drugs and how much they use then whats to fear? Plus it would reduce drug cartels because more people can get drugs legally.

Because they can harm others, and I just don't like them.
DrKaboom44
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2016 4:14:20 PM
At 11/23/2016 4:12:23 PM, fire_wings wrote:

I could see how they could harm others, but if people took drugs in controlled environment's or in their own homes then there wouldn't be much worry that they would harm other's.
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2016 4:15:31 PM
At 11/23/2016 4:14:20 PM, DrKaboom44 wrote:

I could see how they could harm others, but if people took drugs in controlled environment's or in their own homes then there wouldn't be much worry that they would harm other's.

the thing is that they don't *only* do it in their houses, and obviously they won't *only* eat drugs in their homes. And they can still go out and harm some people.
DrKaboom44
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2016 4:19:36 PM
At 11/23/2016 4:15:31 PM, fire_wings wrote:

the thing is that they don't *only* do it in their houses, and obviously they won't *only* eat drugs in their homes. And they can still go out and harm some people.

True, but if the police knew who to check up on to make sure they aren't hurting anyone and they could go straight to jail if they went into public or some sort of law to keep them inside.

Also eat drugs? :)
Lynx_N
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2016 5:21:43 PM
At 11/23/2016 4:19:36 PM, DrKaboom44 wrote:

True, but if the police knew who to check up on to make sure they aren't hurting anyone and they could go straight to jail if they went into public or some sort of law to keep them inside.

So full time surveillance on all junkies then?
I wonder if there's enough police officers around for something like that?
How about ankle bracelets on the junkies, that way the police could keep tabs on them at all times and just pick them up as soon as they're wandering around somewhere.
Bronto?
Congrats.
Kumbaya.
poet
DrKaboom44
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2016 5:38:43 PM
At 11/23/2016 5:21:43 PM, Lynx_N wrote:
At 11/23/2016 4:19:36 PM, DrKaboom44 wrote:

So full time surveillance on all junkies then?
I wonder if there's enough police officers around for something like that?
How about ankle bracelets on the junkies, that way the police could keep tabs on them at all times and just pick them up as soon as they're wandering around somewhere.

That seems more logical
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2016 6:31:11 PM
I think it's important to note that we take drugs all the time, there is an arbitrary line in the sand that differentiates the ones which are legal, controlled, and illegal.
AKA
Rob1billion
Rob1_Billion
Caramel
Lasagna
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2016 7:12:32 PM
Because the government thinks they know what's best for you.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2016 7:48:12 PM

It started out as a misguided attempt to ensure the safety of the population from overdoses and addiction, but, now that we know that, not only does the war on drugs not work, but that "soft drugs" aren't even worth regulating, the explanation can only be money. Private prisons and the DEA make billions off of prosecuting drug offenders, and the pharmaceutical industry would love to keep marijuana illegal so that people have to take their drugs instead, even though we know that marijuana serves some medicinal use (although it's often overstated).
Lying on the hill, crawling over the windowsill into your living room, they stare out, glass-eyed aimless heads, bodies torn by vultures. You are the man whose hands are rank with the smell of death. - Peter Hammill, "The Emperor in His War Room"
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2016 8:15:44 PM
At 11/23/2016 7:48:12 PM, Subutai wrote:

It started out as a misguided attempt to ensure the safety of the population from overdoses and addiction, but, now that we know that, not only does the war on drugs not work, but that "soft drugs" aren't even worth regulating, the explanation can only be money. Private prisons and the DEA make billions off of prosecuting drug offenders, and the pharmaceutical industry would love to keep marijuana illegal so that people have to take their drugs instead, even though we know that marijuana serves some medicinal use (although it's often overstated).

Just legalize and sin tax the fvck out of it. That way it's a win-win. Though I think it should be legalized and taxed as tobacco is. Maybe minus the scare tactics.

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2016 8:19:50 PM
At 11/23/2016 8:15:44 PM, lannan13 wrote:

Just legalize and sin tax the fvck out of it. That way it's a win-win. Though I think it should be legalized and taxed as tobacco is. Maybe minus the scare tactics.

That's not a bad idea, but remember that those groups (private prisons (which should really be eliminated though), the DEA (same thing), and the pharmaceutical industry, plus religious groups and other organizations) either make money off the war on drugs or have some moral opposition to legalized drugs, so none of them will be satisfied with drug legalization, even if its taxed. And these groups spend millions on lobbying every year to make their point known in Congress.
Lying on the hill, crawling over the windowsill into your living room, they stare out, glass-eyed aimless heads, bodies torn by vultures. You are the man whose hands are rank with the smell of death. - Peter Hammill, "The Emperor in His War Room"
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2016 8:21:01 PM
At 11/23/2016 8:19:50 PM, Subutai wrote:

That's not a bad idea, but remember that those groups (private prisons (which should really be eliminated though), the DEA (same thing), and the pharmaceutical industry, plus religious groups and other organizations) either make money off the war on drugs or have some moral opposition to legalized drugs, so none of them will be satisfied with drug legalization, even if its taxed. And these groups spend millions on lobbying every year to make their point known in Congress.

I think we'll just see the same thing like what happened with Gay Marriage. State by state will legalize it until the Supreme Court legalizes it all (probably LSD and other stuff as well).

Dujec
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2016 11:46:58 PM

Agreed and this has terrible consequences for anyone in the U.S. who has struggled with addiction. Countries that have used that 'war money' to actually rehabilitate addicts have been very successful while addiction rates have been flat for all the millions gained in the war against drugs in the U.S. piles up... drops benzos.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2016 4:15:32 AM
Posted: 10 months ago

These sin taxes...they are just oppressive. I don't believe in them. Beats illigal for those involved though
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2016 2:23:20 AM
At 12/3/2016 4:15:32 AM, Quadrunner wrote:

These sin taxes...they are just oppressive. I don't believe in them. Beats illigal for those involved though

That's my point.

xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2016 4:37:40 PM
back in the 1800s when there were no laws against a drug many people were harmed by a drug they took. Since then we are only allowed to sell "drugs" that have been proven to be safe and effective.
They used to have "over the counter" medicines in stores anyone could buy, that contained heroin. By making heroin illegal they stopped ever so many people from using it and getting addicted.
Did they stop everybody? No, criminals have kept selling heroin, but the law seemed to have stopped many people from getting heroin, so heroin related health problems were greatly reduced.
They tried to eliminate alcohol by prohibition. Eventually the government gave up on that project because it caused so much crime.
We are now allowed to have alcohol and way more people are harmed by alcohol than all the illegal drugs. There would probably be more people being harmed by heroin if it were legal, but we don't know that for sure.
Maybe they should make tobacco illegal because nicotine is the most addictive drug, but our prisons are filled to capacity with people caught selling drugs, so they never even tried to make nicotine illegal.
This is not fair. The government protects some people by keeping them from buying the illegal drugs that they may have become addicted to , yet if you are addicted to nicotine or alcohol, you allowed to buy the harmful substance you think you need.
if they made these 2 harmful things illegal, we could wind up with more people in prison then are on the streets, so we know that ain't gonna work.
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2016 4:54:22 PM
"I think we'll just see the same thing like what happened with Gay Marriage. State by state will legalize it until the Supreme Court legalizes it all (probably LSD and other stuff as well)."
Not all the states legalized gay marriage, only the states with lower morality.
Then that lesbian judge Obama hired talked the court into finding these laws unconstitutional.
So now we have to believe a man can marry another man, I'm pretty sure he can only marry 1 man though. If he married 2 or 3 men that would be polygamy.
GrimlyF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2016 5:18:08 PM
Drugs are illegal because of their highly addictive nature. If, like cigarettes, the addictive element could be removed they could be made legal.
pablogoodwin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2017 10:20:25 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
It took two years for me to recognize my son's addiction. The worst part is, he ruined his studies due to Heroin addiction. He used to ask me money for projects and seminars but he used it to buy Heroin. I was totally broken at the moment when I realized this bitter truth. I was afraid of discussing this matter with my friends or relatives. But that was the worst decision I have taken. My uncle figured him using drugs with his friends and came to me asking about him. Within no time he fixed an appointment in a drug rehabilitation program in Calgary ( http://www.canadadrugrehab.ca... ). We made a great effort to convince my son to undergo the treatment and by God"s grace, he is totally recovered now. But I am still afraid if he will go back to the same path. Drugs are illegal and ruin the lives of many people.
FanboyMctroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2017 2:02:49 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 2/9/2017 10:20:25 AM, pablogoodwin wrote:
It took two years for me to recognize my son's addiction. The worst part is, he ruined his studies due to Heroin addiction. He used to ask me money for projects and seminars but he used it to buy Heroin. I was totally broken at the moment when I realized this bitter truth. I was afraid of discussing this matter with my friends or relatives. But that was the worst decision I have taken. My uncle figured him using drugs with his friends and came to me asking about him. Within no time he fixed an appointment in a drug rehabilitation program in Calgary ( http://www.canadadrugrehab.ca... ). We made a great effort to convince my son to undergo the treatment and by God"s grace, he is totally recovered now. But I am still afraid if he will go back to the same path. Drugs are illegal and ruin the lives of many people.

You story almost broke my heart, having kids myself who aren't teens yet this is something I fear all the time. It's good to hear that your son has recovered, many don't.

Drugs are illegal because they kill people and they ruin lives, it has nothing to do with making profits by jails or giving people choices. Drugs are just bad period. The OP will never understand that fact until you have children of your own that you love and raise and only want the best for them and then you see the drugs and what it does to them.

I don't even agree with legalizing marijuana but it's not as bad a drug as others like heroin and cocaine. All I know is that we will have a bunch of stupid stoned potheads once it's legalized everywhere. I knew one pothead in high school who was wasted everyday and this guy was the stupidest guy in school. Now he is probably in jail or a garbage man.

You want drugs just head down to the ghetto in your city, there are plenty of crack heads and meth heads with no teeth who can supply you and you can hang out with them in the run down house sleeping on a piss stain mattress.

Drugs are bad.
GrimlyF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2017 3:13:49 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 2/9/2017 2:02:49 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 2/9/2017 10:20:25 AM, pablogoodwin wrote:

You story almost broke my heart, having kids myself who aren't teens yet this is something I fear all the time. It's good to hear that your son has recovered, many don't.

Drugs are illegal because they kill people and they ruin lives, it has nothing to do with making profits by jails or giving people choices. Drugs are just bad period. The OP will never understand that fact until you have children of your own that you love and raise and only want the best for them and then you see the drugs and what it does to them.

I don't even agree with legalizing marijuana but it's not as bad a drug as others like heroin and cocaine. All I know is that we will have a bunch of stupid stoned potheads once it's legalized everywhere. I knew one pothead in high school who was wasted everyday and this guy was the stupidest guy in school. Now he is probably in jail or a garbage man.

You want drugs just head down to the ghetto in your city, there are plenty of crack heads and meth heads with no teeth who can supply you and you can hang out with them in the run down house sleeping on a piss stain mattress.

Drugs are bad.

Drugs are bad we know. So why not test our kids ourselves? You can, if you want, buy a little breathalizer and test your kids when you feel the need. You can buy drug testers in just the same way. You think your kids drinking/ taking drugs? test them. Test them anyway and see how they react to the threat of being found out.

These testers are inexpensive and may save your kids from a life of addiction.
Sui_Generis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2017 9:48:47 AM
Drugs are illegal because drugs are recognized as a vice. Something that mature, responsible, "ideal" people don't do. Drugs are largely destructive and diminish, rather than enhance, people's other virtues (diligence to sloth, conscientiousness to carelessness, caution to recklessness, selflessness to selfishness, and I could go on). Large scale drug usage can be seen as a blight on society and depending on one's view as to the purpose of government, one can argue that it is in society's best interest to discourage this behavior through criminalization. When you take a positive action to legalize something, that thing is thus lent legitimacy it otherwise wouldn't have had. People who wouldn't have tried drugs purely because they were illegal would do so once they became legal. So in an effort to partially maintain the original purpose, and partially to incite an inflation of drug users, the law stays.

Personally I think there's a strong argument to be made for 100% legalization for all drugs at all levels (even if your directing imperative is "what is best for a moral, productive, and successful society), but that's not what you asked.
"How true it is that words are but vague shadows of the volumes we mean. Little audible links they are, chaining together great inaudible feelings and purposes."

"Nobody wants to be in your sig." ~Emilrose
dc0404
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2017 9:36:51 PM

Legalizing drugs will make drugs cheaper and will then reduce other crimes (such as theft) that supports those with addictions to buy expensive drugs. Also, if drugs are legal, it will reduce violent crimes such as assault, battery, and murder since drug dealers/users would not longer have to kill or beat people up since it is legal (and cheaper). When something is legal, it reduces the crime or shadow element that is harmful that flys under the radar when illegal. If drugs are legal, it reduces the amount of instances where police need to deal with those breaking drug laws and allows them to focus on more violent or mass theft crimes, but again legalization of drugs reduces these other crimes anyway. We would be amazed how much less crime there would be.

We don't have to encourage the use of drugs but we should legalize them and then promote abstinence and have laws such as underage laws not using, not being present in certain places (like schools), very much like alcohol. Some of the more extreme drugs being legal, it still won't be easy, and we will have to monitor closely, however, the police will never win the drug war and making them legal will have extremely positive effects everywhere else.

Time to try something new.

DC
John_C_1812
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2017 1:03:12 AM
At 3/12/2017 9:36:51 PM, dc0404 wrote:

DC

Dc0404 not trying to bust your chops, really.

If legalized narcotics where to make drugs cheaper while reducing crime at the same time, then drug stores would have no locked doors, cages, and safes to place Narcotics in by now. Liquor stores as well.

I understand what you are writing, I agree with what you write. Though, in all honesty your understanding of the Drug War is very, very, limited and narrow in an opinionated kind of way. If a debriefing could take place, as it might have been requested at some time, the only understanding that would have been translated clearly, " Drug War " is just the comparative translation that some intelligent people hold on a Nuclear War and Cold War, So what is a different name some may give for a Drug War?
GrimlyF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2017 8:22:22 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 3/24/2017 1:03:12 AM, John_C_1812 wrote:
At 3/12/2017 9:36:51 PM, dc0404 wrote:

DC

Dc0404 not trying to bust your chops, really.

If legalized narcotics where to make drugs cheaper while reducing crime at the same time, then drug stores would have no locked doors, cages, and safes to place Narcotics in by now. Liquor stores as well.

I understand what you are writing, I agree with what you write. Though, in all honesty your understanding of the Drug War is very, very, limited and narrow in an opinionated kind of way. If a debriefing could take place, as it might have been requested at some time, the only understanding that would have been translated clearly, " Drug War " is just the comparative translation that some intelligent people hold on a Nuclear War and Cold War, So what is a different name some may give for a Drug War?

Americas " War on Drugs " was hamstrung by the fact that it never did go to war against drugs. America should have napalmed the South American poppy fields and Coca plantations. They and the British should have done the same in the Mid-East. In war you accept collateral damage and the collateral damage would have been foreign drug farmers and the villages that supported them so all to the good. a 36hr warning could be given to the governments of targeted countries beforehand to remove the population. When you compare the lives lost or ruined by drugs in the U.S. alone it makes it morally acceptable.

The only solution to the drug problem is to remove the problem. Complete destruction of the poppy and coca fields and sowing the ground to make it worthless will eradicate the problem and save America umpteen billions in the process. There would be no effect on the general population in these countries because the fields are not farmland or cattle/sheep breeders they just grow poisons.
John_C_1812
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2017 2:27:02 PM
At 3/30/2017 8:22:22 AM, GrimlyF wrote:

The only solution to the drug problem is to remove the problem. Complete destruction of the poppy and coca fields and sowing the ground to make it worthless will eradicate the problem and save America umpteen billions in the process.

GrimlyF destroying the Pharmaceutical raw materials supply is a global fast track solution, but is an orchestrated global disaster on a necessary industry.
This should be mention again, it is said in a relaxed, unclear, way before. When reading back on what was written before. The Drug War is the progression on analogies" made over time. The 40"s, 50"s, 60"s, and 70,s these were the Cold War years, and the Cold War was describing a limited use of Atomic weapons, in ongoing conflicts, or one possible Global end-all.

Though at first glance a person believed that a Drug War was simply a Civil War, over the public use of narcotics, the organic lifestyle or age began. It actually was symbolizing a much bigger phenomenon in society then noticed. The Drug War is a low scale Chemical War being raged in the World, it was just emphasizes by scale publicly in a dramatic way, as usual. The public, by events in Iraq and parts of the Middle East in the early 70"s and 80"s had a flash back to a World War.

While worldwide it took a much more seductive look on a massive scale, Organic. What is the reaction people might give when Marijuana can be legislated to hold chemical additives like tobacco?

If over salting food creates medical issues doe"s large amounts of road salt cause hyper tension and obesity as well?

We make cars smaller and more efficient to drive but at what cost, it takes much more chemical de-icing to allow them to move in the winter and this process moves massive amounts of cold temporaries, months faster than they had been moved only a few decades ago.

Are you sure you want to treat the twitch in you figure with a meat cleaver?
GrimlyF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2017 4:10:56 PM
At 3/30/2017 2:27:02 PM, John_C_1812 wrote:
At 3/30/2017 8:22:22 AM, GrimlyF wrote:

The only solution to the drug problem is to remove the problem. Complete destruction of the poppy and coca fields and sowing the ground to make it worthless will eradicate the problem and save America umpteen billions in the process.

GrimlyF destroying the Pharmaceutical raw materials supply is a global fast track solution, but is an orchestrated global disaster on a necessary industry.
This should be mention again, it is said in a relaxed, unclear, way before. When reading back on what was written before. The Drug War is the progression on analogies" made over time. The 40"s, 50"s, 60"s, and 70,s these were the Cold War years, and the Cold War was describing a limited use of Atomic weapons, in ongoing conflicts, or one possible Global end-all.

Though at first glance a person believed that a Drug War was simply a Civil War, over the public use of narcotics, the organic lifestyle or age began. It actually was symbolizing a much bigger phenomenon in society then noticed. The Drug War is a low scale Chemical War being raged in the World, it was just emphasizes by scale publicly in a dramatic way, as usual. The public, by events in Iraq and parts of the Middle East in the early 70"s and 80"s had a flash back to a World War.

While worldwide it took a much more seductive look on a massive scale, Organic. What is the reaction people might give when Marijuana can be legislated to hold chemical additives like tobacco?

If over salting food creates medical issues doe"s large amounts of road salt cause hyper tension and obesity as well?

We make cars smaller and more efficient to drive but at what cost, it takes much more chemical de-icing to allow them to move in the winter and this process moves massive amounts of cold temporaries, months faster than they had been moved only a few decades ago.

Are you sure you want to treat the twitch in you figure with a meat cleaver?

The official figure of 2016 illegal drugs takers in the U.S. is between 30-40 million. This is not an "analogy" it is an epidemic. Destroy the crop at source and that figure will disappear. Mexico can grow all the basic drugs we need for medicines and is easily inspected.

This forum is about drugs not cars and organics. If you have nothing to contribute on the topic leave it.
John_C_1812
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2017 3:18:32 PM
At 3/30/2017 4:10:56 PM, GrimlyF wrote:

This forum is about drugs not cars and organics. If you have nothing to contribute on the topic leave it.

An epidemic not created overnight so it is safe to say it will not end overnight. First things first, is it safe to say that the Drug War is a scaled down version of an all-out Global Chemical War?

Is the Comparison equal if not greater than a Cold War and Global Nuclear War?

What part does conflict of interest play relating Patent law when the figure of 30-40 million people are breaking the law is use? As a grouping for statistics is a means to violate basic legal rights.
GrimlyF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2017 8:35:01 PM
At 3/31/2017 3:18:32 PM, John_C_1812 wrote:
At 3/30/2017 4:10:56 PM, GrimlyF wrote:

An epidemic not created overnight so it is safe to say it will not end overnight. First things first, is it safe to say that the Drug War is a scaled down version of an all-out Global Chemical War?

Is the Comparison equal if not greater than a Cold War and Global Nuclear War?

What part does conflict of interest play relating Patent law when the figure of 30-40 million people are breaking the law is use? As a grouping for statistics is a means to violate basic legal rights.

I am unaware of a Global War on Chemical's. If the U.S. war on drugs is a " scaled down " version of such a huge enterprise what is the purpose of a " Global War on Chemicals " and who are the protagonists?

No the comparison is not equal. A Cold War is purely ideological. Global Nuclear War is based on the complete breakdown of the political process. Neither has a bearing on this forum

I am unaware of a patent covering any illegal drugs. Since these drugs are illegal and can not be manufactured in the U.S. the Patent Office cannot issue a patent.

I have had enough of your off-topic maunderings. Do not answer as I will delete any notification from you unread.