Total Posts:34|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Diet Drinks

Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 12:15:39 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I am certain that fizzy drinks containing sweetners as opposed to sugar cause me to suffer headaches. I have spoken to one guy, (intelligent but suffering from some sort of brain injury) who actually has memory loss after too much diet coke.

Am I deluded? Etc etc.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 12:19:50 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/23/2011 12:15:39 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
I am certain that fizzy drinks containing sweetners as opposed to sugar cause me to suffer headaches. I have spoken to one guy, (intelligent but suffering from some sort of brain injury) who actually has memory loss after too much diet coke.

Are you sure it's not the brain injury which is causing the memory loss?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 12:22:20 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/23/2011 12:19:50 AM, annhasle wrote:
At 1/23/2011 12:15:39 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
I am certain that fizzy drinks containing sweetners as opposed to sugar cause me to suffer headaches. I have spoken to one guy, (intelligent but suffering from some sort of brain injury) who actually has memory loss after too much diet coke.

Are you sure it's not the brain injury which is causing the memory loss?


Good point, but he did claim that normally he is fine. He may have been BS'ing me. But I certainly gaining a phobia of diet drinks!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 12:26:11 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/23/2011 12:22:20 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 1/23/2011 12:19:50 AM, annhasle wrote:
At 1/23/2011 12:15:39 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
I am certain that fizzy drinks containing sweetners as opposed to sugar cause me to suffer headaches. I have spoken to one guy, (intelligent but suffering from some sort of brain injury) who actually has memory loss after too much diet coke.

Are you sure it's not the brain injury which is causing the memory loss?

Good point, but he did claim that normally he is fine. He may have been BS'ing me. But I certainly gaining a phobia of diet drinks!

If he's suffering from a brain injury, I doubt he's "normally fine". Even though diet drinks aren't exactly healthy, in moderation (like most things) they should be fine and should NOT cause memory loss.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 12:35:34 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
the only thing i've heard is that they can cause people to overeat b/c tasting the sweetness w/no calories makes you hungrier. same thing w/chewing gum.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 12:47:45 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
cancer.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 6:42:51 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
There really is no proof that diet drinks are bad for you in any way. There are those that want to take it away from us, and concoct all sorts of assertions about them being bad for us, but in reality i have never seen a credible study done to validate any claim about current diet sodas being bad for you. Caffeine in some of them can be bad, and cause headaches, but everyone knows that.

If you like and enjoy something, there will always be someone to tell you that it's bad for you in some way, or you're killing cute puppies as a result of your indulgence.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 8:36:04 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/23/2011 12:15:39 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
I am certain that fizzy drinks containing sweetners as opposed to sugar cause me to suffer headaches. I have spoken to one guy, (intelligent but suffering from some sort of brain injury) who actually has memory loss after too much diet coke.

Am I deluded? Etc etc.:

There's mixed reviews, but the general consensus is that while drinking soda occasionally will do little harm, drinking daily has the potential for a problem. Soda has an extremely high pH level that strips tooth enamel or cause stomach ulcers. Soda is so acidic that it will dissolve a penny made of pure copper. Pepsi, for instance, has a pH level of 2.49 and battery acid at 1.00.

This is phosphoric acid, which is pretty strong stuff. Phosphoric acid is said to leach bones, that is, to strip them of calcium, setting in osteoporosis quicker, but there are mixed reviews.

Specifically diet sodas are certainly not better than regular sodas. I'll just quote something for you and you make the determination:

"One liter of an aspartame-sweetened beverage can produce about fifty-six milligrams of methanol. When several of these beverages are consumed in a short period of time (one day, perhaps), as much as two hundred fifty milligrams of methanol are dumped into the bloodstream, or thirty-two times the EPA limit. So, you're poisoning your body, too.

And when it comes to saccharin, which is a noncaloric petroleum derivative estimated to be three hundred to five hundred times sweeter than sugar: More than a dozen animal tests over the last thirty years have demonstrated the carcinogenic effects of saccharin in the bladder and other sites, particularly female reproductive organs, and in some instances at doses as low as the equivalent of one to two bottles of diet pop daily."

And lastly, from anecdotal evidence, my sister used to be irrevocably addicted to Diet Pepsi. She would get headaches too when drinking Pepsi, but they worse when she didn't drink it, as in, withdrawl symptoms. She has stopped drinking it for years now, though.

So here's my own personal take on it. Drinking the occasional Crown Royal and Coke, or Captain Morgan and Coke, or getting a coke once in awhile at a fast food restruant isn't going to kill you. Fast food once in awhile isn't going to kill you. However, you ingesting that everyday, several times a day are surely going to have deleterious effects on your health.

Most things in moderation, even really bad things like nicotine, aren't going to hurt you. It's when it becomes habitual that health is impacted.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 11:19:09 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/23/2011 8:36:04 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

There's mixed reviews, but the general consensus is that while drinking soda occasionally will do little harm, drinking daily has the potential for a problem. Soda has an extremely high pH level that strips tooth enamel or cause stomach ulcers. Soda is so acidic that it will dissolve a penny made of pure copper. Pepsi, for instance, has a pH level of 2.49 and battery acid at 1.00.

This is phosphoric acid, which is pretty strong stuff. Phosphoric acid is said to leach bones, that is, to strip them of calcium, setting in osteoporosis quicker, but there are mixed reviews.

Specifically diet sodas are certainly not better than regular sodas. I'll just quote something for you and you make the determination:

"One liter of an aspartame-sweetened beverage can produce about fifty-six milligrams of methanol. When several of these beverages are consumed in a short period of time (one day, perhaps), as much as two hundred fifty milligrams of methanol are dumped into the bloodstream, or thirty-two times the EPA limit. So, you're poisoning your body, too.

And when it comes to saccharin, which is a noncaloric petroleum derivative estimated to be three hundred to five hundred times sweeter than sugar: More than a dozen animal tests over the last thirty years have demonstrated the carcinogenic effects of saccharin in the bladder and other sites, particularly female reproductive organs, and in some instances at doses as low as the equivalent of one to two bottles of diet pop daily."

And lastly, from anecdotal evidence, my sister used to be irrevocably addicted to Diet Pepsi. She would get headaches too when drinking Pepsi, but they worse when she didn't drink it, as in, withdrawl symptoms. She has stopped drinking it for years now, though.

So here's my own personal take on it. Drinking the occasional Crown Royal and Coke, or Captain Morgan and Coke, or getting a coke once in awhile at a fast food restruant isn't going to kill you. Fast food once in awhile isn't going to kill you. However, you ingesting that everyday, several times a day are surely going to have deleterious effects on your health.

Most things in moderation, even really bad things like nicotine, aren't going to hurt you. It's when it becomes habitual that health is impacted.

Great post; super informative.

I don't drink anything that looks unnatural to me, ie. black, fizzy stuff lol, but still good to know.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 12:10:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Great post; super informative.:

Thanks! Well, I wanted to verify that question too, because I had wondered how much hype/truth ratio existed about soda.

What I determined is that it's not going to impact your health unless you drink it habitually.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 12:13:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/23/2011 12:10:09 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Great post; super informative.:

Thanks! Well, I wanted to verify that question too, because I had wondered how much hype/truth ratio existed about soda.

What I determined is that it's not going to impact your health unless you drink it habitually.

Like most things, it's fine in moderation. I agree with TULLEKRAZY (noentity? Pfft.), great post. I still want to stay away from diet drinks now though. :)
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
m93samman
Posts: 2,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 9:51:19 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/23/2011 12:47:45 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
cancer.
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
Rob1_Billion
Posts: 1,300
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 11:49:57 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Diet soda is an attempt to get the pleasure of vice but avoiding the vice. In principle, it is flawed. By replacing sugar with substitute, you are just putting some complex molecule in it's place which does god-knows-what to you. It may be awhile before we know. 10 years ago Saccharin packets used to say "This product is known to cause cancer in laboratory animals." Now they don't. That's unfair to the companies trying to compete in the market, after all.
kfc
Heathen
Posts: 183
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 10:36:58 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
They suck.
"Once an object has been seen, it is impossible to put the mind back to the same condition it was in before it saw it." - Thomas Paine
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 12:58:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/7/2011 11:49:57 AM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
Diet soda is an attempt to get the pleasure of vice but avoiding the vice. In principle, it is flawed. By replacing sugar with substitute, you are just putting some complex molecule in it's place which does god-knows-what to you. It may be awhile before we know. 10 years ago Saccharin packets used to say "This product is known to cause cancer in laboratory animals." Now they don't. That's unfair to the companies trying to compete in the market, after all.

the mechanism whereby saccharine causes cancer was deemed to be effective in rats, but have no relevance to humans. they removed the warning because its irrelevant... the fact that it caused cancer in rats doesn't imply a risk to humans, so theres no need to inform people that it may be dangerous. or its a capitalist conspiracy. whichever makes more sense!
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 1:00:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/13/2011 12:58:46 PM, belle wrote:
At 3/7/2011 11:49:57 AM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
Diet soda is an attempt to get the pleasure of vice but avoiding the vice. In principle, it is flawed. By replacing sugar with substitute, you are just putting some complex molecule in it's place which does god-knows-what to you. It may be awhile before we know. 10 years ago Saccharin packets used to say "This product is known to cause cancer in laboratory animals." Now they don't. That's unfair to the companies trying to compete in the market, after all.

the mechanism whereby saccharine causes cancer was deemed to be effective in rats, but have no relevance to humans. they removed the warning because its irrelevant... the fact that it caused cancer in rats doesn't imply a risk to humans, so theres no need to inform people that it may be dangerous. or its a capitalist conspiracy. whichever makes more sense!

deemed how?
signature
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 1:02:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
lol you guys are nuts, soda's good for you.

Sugar is a plant from the earth and it contains a lot of water.

So vegetables and water, what more could you want or need.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 1:07:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/13/2011 1:00:48 PM, badger wrote:
At 4/13/2011 12:58:46 PM, belle wrote:
At 3/7/2011 11:49:57 AM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
Diet soda is an attempt to get the pleasure of vice but avoiding the vice. In principle, it is flawed. By replacing sugar with substitute, you are just putting some complex molecule in it's place which does god-knows-what to you. It may be awhile before we know. 10 years ago Saccharin packets used to say "This product is known to cause cancer in laboratory animals." Now they don't. That's unfair to the companies trying to compete in the market, after all.

the mechanism whereby saccharine causes cancer was deemed to be effective in rats, but have no relevance to humans. they removed the warning because its irrelevant... the fact that it caused cancer in rats doesn't imply a risk to humans, so theres no need to inform people that it may be dangerous. or its a capitalist conspiracy. whichever makes more sense!

deemed how?

It is widely believed that unique physiologic conditions in the male rat bladder, especially the presence of the protein a2globulin, high pH, and high [Na+ ], result in the formation of precipitates in the bladder, causing irritation, hyperplasia, and ultimately tumors.

In the absence of any conclusive epidemiologic data that saccharin is associated with increased tumors in humans, it has been argued that the mechanism for saccharin induction of bladder tumors in rats is specific to the physiology of the male rat bladder and that saccharin should be taken off the National Toxicology Program's list of agents that are "reasonably anticipated to be carcinogen[s]." Thus, given these unique circumstances for this particular carcinogen, it might also be argued that the rodent bioassays of saccharin were irrelevant for human studies.

http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 1:10:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I've never found a diet drink that tastes as good as the original. All taste like flavored crap.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 1:13:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/13/2011 1:10:41 PM, OreEle wrote:
I've never found a diet drink that tastes as good as the original. All taste like flavored crap.

its an acquired taste. although diet dr pepper tastes pretty f*ckin amazing. i think its prolly the best one.

anyways, most diet drinks are made nowadays with aspartame, not saccharin.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
devinni01841
Posts: 1,405
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 1:45:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/23/2011 12:35:34 AM, belle wrote:
the only thing i've heard is that they can cause people to overeat b/c tasting the sweetness w/no calories makes you hungrier. same thing w/chewing gum.

really? Maybe that's why I eat like a cow... I chew gum all the time...

hmmmm
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
devinni01841
Posts: 1,405
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 1:47:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/13/2011 1:10:41 PM, OreEle wrote:
I've never found a diet drink that tastes as good as the original. All taste like flavored crap.

I like coke Zero...
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 1:47:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/13/2011 1:10:41 PM, OreEle wrote:
I've never found a diet drink that tastes as good as the original. All taste like flavored crap.

only one i've found. Diet birch beer.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
devinni01841
Posts: 1,405
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 1:49:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/13/2011 1:13:07 PM, belle wrote:
At 4/13/2011 1:10:41 PM, OreEle wrote:
I've never found a diet drink that tastes as good as the original. All taste like flavored crap.

its an acquired taste. although diet dr pepper tastes pretty f*ckin amazing. i think its prolly the best one.

anyways, most diet drinks are made nowadays with aspartame, not saccharin.

Which causes severe allergic reactions in some people.
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 1:50:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/13/2011 1:47:56 PM, askbob wrote:
At 4/13/2011 1:10:41 PM, OreEle wrote:
I've never found a diet drink that tastes as good as the original. All taste like flavored crap.

only one i've found. Diet birch beer.

drink whiskey!
signature
devinni01841
Posts: 1,405
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 1:50:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
also splenda causes memory loss
http://www.proteinpower.com...
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
devinni01841
Posts: 1,405
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 2:00:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/13/2011 1:52:42 PM, badger wrote:
At 4/13/2011 1:50:50 PM, devinni01841 wrote:
also splenda causes memory loss
http://www.proteinpower.com...

you think the world is gonna end in 2012!?

What? if this is about my profile summaries, I changed it.. if it's something about the link, then it must be going somewhere for you that it's not for me...
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
devinni01841
Posts: 1,405
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 2:00:26 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Also YES artificial sweeteners do give me headaches
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.