Jump to topic:

Bad High: Longterm Mental Effects?

LoremIpsum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 9:12:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
So, the title makes my post pretty self explanatory, but I'll explain a little... Last night I got high on some OG Kush, it was my 6th time to ever be high, and I felt it to be significantly different than before. I wasn't in control of my actions and horrible thoughts kept going into my mind... I considered suicide during the high (something extremely significant for me, as the idea of death is extremely frightening to me) and I wanted it to end so bad... blah blah blah The next morning I woke up still paranoid. I was in the regular frame of mind, but it was like there was something a little wrong as well...

I'm still experiencing paranoia, and it seems like I am not experiencing things the way I usually do, and it's extremely hard to focus...

Will this last forever? How do I get grips with the reality I'm used to again? Is this common in bad highs?
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 9:21:55 PM
At 1/23/2011 9:12:52 PM, LoremIpsum wrote:
So, the title makes my post pretty self explanatory, but I'll explain a little... Last night I got high on some OG Kush, it was my 6th time to ever be high, and I felt it to be significantly different than before. I wasn't in control of my actions and horrible thoughts kept going into my mind... I considered suicide during the high (something extremely significant for me, as the idea of death is extremely frightening to me) and I wanted it to end so bad... blah blah blah The next morning I woke up still paranoid. I was in the regular frame of mind, but it was like there was something a little wrong as well...

I'm still experiencing paranoia, and it seems like I am not experiencing things the way I usually do, and it's extremely hard to focus...

Will this last forever?

No, you are still freaked out from your recent experience of a bad high. This typically lasts for a couple hours (it's called a "acute panic anxiety reaction") but if it's your first one, it will cause paranoia.

How do I get grips with the reality I'm used to again?

Continue with your normal routines. Listen to your favorite music, read a good book, anything calm and relaxing. If you can, talk to people on the phone and get your mind off of it. The more you dwell on the experience, the worse it can become. I doubt you'll ever forget this, but it's a good learning experience. Some strains of kush are nice but some can result in bad reactions -- I'm sorry it happened. :(

Is this common in bad highs?

Yeah, you had a pretty common attack. They very in potency and length, but the feeling of "lack of control" and "suicidal idealizations" is somewhat common. Did you have a bad experience or fight before smoking? Were you happy beforehand?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 9:22:26 PM

Will this last forever? How do I get grips with the reality I'm used to again? Is this common in bad highs?

how'd you smoke it?
was it laced?
when'd you smoke it/when'd you go to sleep?
do anything else?

Most likely you are fine though.
LoremIpsum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 9:31:21 PM
I smoked it out of a joint using retail papers, I was quite happy beforehand, and with my parents being gone for the night I had no reason to be nervous at all. I suspect that it was perhaps laced, though it's all gone now and I wouldn't know how to check if it was anyway.

Thanks, annhassle, though I've been having panic attacks all day and though I feel I'm in reality, I am continuing to freak out that I may be mentally damaged forever. It's currently been 26 hours since I lit up, and I only smoke half of a joint
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 9:32:25 PM

Will this last forever? How do I get grips with the reality I'm used to again? Is this common in bad highs?:

Haha, welcome to the wonderful world of a bad trip. Let me give you some advice. If this is the effect that weed gives you, even if it is good weed, don't let someone talk you in to doing acid or shrooms or X. Magnify your experience times 30, and that's what psychodelic drugs will do to you.

First things first. Settle down. You're simply going through a mild case of post-traumatic stress due to the very terrible feeling you felt before. What you are experiencing is natural for people who like a lot of control in their lives. Getting high made you feel out of control, and the psychodelic properties in the THC simply heightened your awareness and it freaked you out. Your brain isn't used to this feeling, and that's fine.

No, this feeling isn't going to last forever, and the more you obsess about it, the longer you'll feel this way. Some people just have a bad reaction to weed. I had a TERRIBLE trip once on acid and opium, which was only further exacerbated by really good bud, and ever since then when I smoked it brought that traumatic experience back. That's why I don't smoke anymore and haven't for over a decade. I just don't like it anymore. I lost that lovin' feelin'... Whoa, that lovin' feelin.'

So don't smoke anymore. But if you do, remember what I'm telling you now. It's all in your head, and even when you feel out of control, you are in control.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 9:36:01 PM
I am continuing to freak out that I may be mentally damaged forever.:

No, you're fine. Trust me. It's just an acute case of post-traumatic stress.

Have you been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder prior to this?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 9:36:26 PM
At 1/23/2011 9:31:21 PM, LoremIpsum wrote:
I smoked it out of a joint using retail papers, I was quite happy beforehand, and with my parents being gone for the night I had no reason to be nervous at all. I suspect that it was perhaps laced, though it's all gone now and I wouldn't know how to check if it was anyway.

Check your heart rate. Also, how is your focus -- can you focus on one thing for a "normal" amount of time? Some people also have blurry vision and sweaty palms when coming down from a bad high. Those are the signs to look out for usually.

Thanks, annhassle, though I've been having panic attacks all day and though I feel I'm in reality, I am continuing to freak out that I may be mentally damaged forever. It's currently been 26 hours since I lit up, and I only smoke half of a joint

No problem -- with my job I deal with this a lot. :)
I doubt you are mentally damaged, especially from only half a joint. I bet it was laced and I would avoid whoever sold you the kush. If you are really really worried, then stay clean for a couple days and smoke what you trust when you restart. I've never met someone who was mentally impaired from one joint (laced or not) so I'm pretty confident in you being alright. Just relax.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 9:36:28 PM
paradigm why won't you answer your pms?
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 9:36:30 PM
Ice cream scoops from the brain, dude.

You're fvcked.

I would know, I'm a scientist.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 9:37:49 PM
Yeah like Ann said, it's pretty much just what happens after a bad trip.

I wondered if it was laced simply because that could provide a reason for the trip. When you said paranoia I immediately thought cocaine. If you got a "rush" (heightened heart beat, restless feeling, and similar effects) then I would think that your joint may have been laced with cocaine, seeing as that generally also makes people very, very paranoid.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 9:40:32 PM
xxdarkxx might be right. Cocaine can inflame anxiety (especially if you have a disorder) while inducing fear/paranoia which will last longer than a high from Kush. Weed doesn't give that violent of side effects so I'm pretty sure you got some crap hook-up.
LoremIpsum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 9:41:45 PM
At 1/23/2011 9:36:26 PM, annhasle wrote:
Check your heart rate. Also, how is your focus -- can you focus on one thing for a "normal" amount of time? Some people also have blurry vision and sweaty palms when coming down from a bad high. Those are the signs to look out for usually.

My focus seems to be split between trying to watch tv and debate while worrying about this whole bad trip thing. It seems to be slowly getting better so I'm freaking out a little less.

Just relax.

I'm trying... I'm just going to go to sleep, and I'll report back tomorrow. Thanks for your advice, and also everyone else's.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 9:42:42 PM
At 1/23/2011 9:36:28 PM, askbob wrote:
paradigm why won't you answer your pms?:

My bad, just logged back in. Lemme check
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 9:45:09 PM
At 1/23/2011 9:41:45 PM, LoremIpsum wrote:
At 1/23/2011 9:36:26 PM, annhasle wrote:

My focus seems to be split between trying to watch tv and debate while worrying about this whole bad trip thing. It seems to be slowly getting better so I'm freaking out a little less.

That's good. I think you're okay. Just as a precaution, don't take any drugs for a little bit... It'll help you mentally as well.

Just relax.

I'm trying... I'm just going to go to sleep, and I'll report back tomorrow. Thanks for your advice, and also everyone else's.

This site is full of druggies and stoners so feel free to ask anything -- we're experts. Lol! Sleep is a good idea. Hope you feel better! :P
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 9:47:05 PM
The fool is fine, he's just being a wuss.

Worst comes to worst, your weed got laced with pcp. If you didn't wake up with your hand covered in glass shards from all the windshields you punched through, you are fine.

Now go on with your life. Stay away from drugs, people who do drugs are fvcking retarded. They only think they aren't because they are too high to even tell.

You might as well get it out of your system though. I recommend shrooms. Ecstasy is good to try at least once. Amphetamines and reefer is a good combo. One of the best shows I ever played was on Amphetamines and reefer.

That said, stay the fvck away from drugs dude. Seriously, as smart as they make you think you are, you are RETARDED AS SH!T on them.

But while you are on them, you might as well listen to some weird music.

You know what, just ignore me, I'm only going to give you mixed messages, plus I'm like drunk all the time. I'm surprised I'm as intelligible as I am considering how much I drink.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 9:51:33 PM
At 1/23/2011 9:37:49 PM, xxdarkxx wrote:

I wondered if it was laced simply because that could provide a reason for the trip. When you said paranoia I immediately thought cocaine. If you got a "rush" (heightened heart beat, restless feeling, and similar effects) then I would think that your joint may have been laced with cocaine, seeing as that generally also makes people very, very paranoid.:

I highly doubt it was laced, and almost certain it wasn't coke. Coke is a completely different high. It's a stimulant not a psychodelic -- two completely different highs.

I'm willing to bet he simply is undiagnosed with anxiety disorder. People with it don't usually react well with anything altering their brain. The THC simply triggered the initial response, and his obsessive nature tricked his mind in to thinking his high was going to last forever. That's a classic example of a bad trip. Coke doesn't do that to you.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 9:53:34 PM
My guess is caffeine or cigs and a predisposition to panic attacks. He's fine, just being paranoid about it.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 9:54:52 PM
At 1/23/2011 9:51:33 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

I wondered if it was laced simply because that could provide a reason for the trip. When you said paranoia I immediately thought cocaine. If you got a "rush" (heightened heart beat, restless feeling, and similar effects) then I would think that your joint may have been laced with cocaine, seeing as that generally also makes people very, very paranoid.:

I highly doubt it was laced, and almost certain it wasn't coke. Coke is a completely different high. It's a stimulant not a psychodelic -- two completely different highs.

He didn't have a psychedelic trip, though. Paranoia can be the result of countless different drugs or the weed itself, but cocaine has a higher risk of depressive/suicidal idealizations since it's so strong.

I'm willing to bet he simply is undiagnosed with anxiety disorder. People with it don't usually react well with anything altering their brain. The THC simply triggered the initial response, and his obsessive nature tricked his mind in to thinking his high was going to last forever. That's a classic example of a bad trip. Coke doesn't do that to you.

Anxiety disorders would interfere with his daily life -- he'd know if he had it. Now, he might be prone to anxiety or panic attacks without actually having a disorder which is then intensified by the THC. But I'd be willing to bet that it was laced rather than him being anxiety riddled.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 9:57:22 PM
If he had caffeine or smoked cigs while high, he could have had a panic attack.

I've known people who normally do not have anxiety disorders have panic attacks when they drink a lot of caffeine and smoke. Especially if they are in a chaotic environment.

My brother had this problem, and it has happened to me a couple of times, back in my glorious drug days.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 9:59:05 PM
At 1/23/2011 9:57:22 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
If he had caffeine or smoked cigs while high, he could have had a panic attack.

Smoking cigarettes while high doesn't do sh!t. It feels awesome though...

I've known people who normally do not have anxiety disorders have panic attacks when they drink a lot of caffeine and smoke. Especially if they are in a chaotic environment.

He said that he was happy and on his own. I doubt that would have provoked such a violent response.

My brother had this problem, and it has happened to me a couple of times, back in my glorious drug days.

Weird. I smoke pot and cigs at the same time every day and never had a bad trip because of it.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 9:59:08 PM
Kush is pot right?

Dude, you need to eat a whole large pizza and watch a movie. That will instantly cure you.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 10:08:10 PM
At 1/23/2011 9:59:08 PM, tvellalott wrote:
Kush is pot right?:

A specific kind, yes. Potent, high TCH content, usually grown hydroponically, a lot of crystals and hairs.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

The kid was probably used to shwag, brick-pack Mexican... pure garbage... dry, full of sticks and seeds. Then he tried the real deal the first time.

I mean, Kush is a two-hitter quitter to get veterans baked. He said he blazed a whole joint. That's like a good 20 hits to the head. I think the kid just got a dose of the real McCoy and it blew his mind. Then he didn't know how to process the heightened awareness and became freaked out. His heart raced faster, which only freaked him out more, and he obsessed about feeling that way forever. The more he freaked out, the more it confirmed his own fears.

He essentially had a mini-trip... a bad mini-trip. Happens all the time. He's not unique in that respect.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 10:10:12 PM
At 1/23/2011 10:08:10 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Kush is pot right?:

A specific kind, yes. Potent, high TCH content, usually grown hydroponically, a lot of crystals and hairs.

The kid was probably used to shwag, brick-pack Mexican... pure garbage... dry, full of sticks and seeds. Then he tried the real deal the first time.

I mean, Kush is a two-hitter quitter to get veterans baked. He said he blazed a half of a joint. That's like a good 20 hits to the head. I think the kid just got a dose of the real McCoy and it blew his mind. Then he didn't know how to process the heightened awareness and became freaked out. His heart raced faster, which only freaked him out more, and he obsessed about feeling that way forever. The more he freaked out, the more it confirmed his own fears.

Fix'd
He essentially had a mini-trip... a bad mini-trip. Happens all the time. He's not unique in that respect.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 10:17:29 PM
Just weed and alcohol... Some people are just n00bs
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 7:01:14 AM
At 1/23/2011 9:51:33 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

I was going off the fact of the paranoia. From my experience Cocaine can cause massive paranoia (enough to force one person to watch out a window for 3 straight hours for a cop car lets say >.<). He never explained just what kind of high he got so it is completely possible that the joint was laced with cocaine.

Coke doesn't do that to you.

I know what coke does to you, although it does not have psychedelic effects, it does have psychological effectts.
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 7:59:20 AM
At 1/23/2011 10:10:12 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 1/23/2011 10:08:10 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Kush is pot right?:

The kid was probably used to shwag,medical... pure garbage... dry, full of sticks and seeds. Then he tried the real deal the first time.

I mean, Kush is a two-hitter quitter to get veterans baked. He said he blazed a half of a joint. That's like a good 20 hits to the head. I think the kid just got a dose of the real McCoy and it blew his mind. Then he didn't know how to process the heightened awareness and became freaked out. His heart raced faster, which only freaked him out more, and he obsessed about feeling that way forever. The more he freaked out, the more it confirmed his own fears.

Fix'd

fix'd again
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 8:35:07 AM
pot has been known to cause panic attacks.

also, xxdark, are you sure your coke wasn't laced with something? lol... cause in my experience no effect of coke lasts for 3 hours except maybe the comedown
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...