Send a Message
1/28/2011 12:08:37 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I live in a college town and they've banned smoking from the following
-public places
-places of employment. This includes all businesses,
restaurants, bars, and private clubs.
-outdoor seating areas at restaurants and bars and public places

A hookah bar would be a great business to start here (40,000+ college kids)

I'm inclined to believe that most people agree local government shouldn't be able to tell a private business they can't allow smoking.
I'm looking for thoughts and ideas on getting around the ordinance.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Sam_Lowry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 12:30:45 AM
At 1/28/2011 12:08:37 AM, lewis20 wrote:

Electronic cigarettes.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 12:38:04 AM
For a Hookah bar

Sam_Lowry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 12:42:13 AM
At 1/28/2011 12:38:04 AM, lewis20 wrote:
For a Hookah bar

I was under the impression that these bans typically do not cover places that are who specialize/sell in tobacco. That's how some bars have been able to avoid that ban in the past.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 12:46:41 AM
At 1/28/2011 12:42:13 AM, Sam_Lowry wrote:
At 1/28/2011 12:38:04 AM, lewis20 wrote:
For a Hookah bar

I was under the impression that these bans typically do not cover places that are who specialize/sell in tobacco. That's how some bars have been able to avoid that ban in the past.

From what I understand only tobacco shops are exempt, however they can't serve food or drink. Thats one of the avenues I'm exploring.

devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 12:58:26 PM
-public places

I'm inclined to believe that most people agree local government shouldn't be able to tell a private business they can't allow smoking.

transfer to UNT... there's a hookah bar on campus....
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
HatedeatH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 3:31:29 PM
I'm totally going to get attacked for this...but I support those bans. Oftentimes, too many people are exposed to second-hand smoke against their will and often it's not as simple as just "walking away", considering it travels through the air. People can smoke on their own private property(their home, yard, etc.), but when you're out around other people, especially children, smoking isn't really a good thing to be doing. I'm sure many people would also find it very unappitizing to walk into a restaurant only to see everybody smoking.
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 5:35:58 PM
At 1/30/2011 3:31:29 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
I'm totally going to get attacked for this...but I support those bans. Oftentimes, too many people are exposed to second-hand smoke against their will and often it's not as simple as just "walking away", considering it travels through the air.:

I agree that secondhand smoke is disgusting, and we certainly benefit from the ordinance. But the rightness of the situation should be analyzed. A private establishment should be allowed to operate it's own business the way it wants. It should be the people's decision to decide whether or not they want to eat in a smoke-filled room.

It may very well not even need government interference to affect change. Because of the smoke-filled environment, they may lose a lot of business which could prompt them to ban smoking themselves, without the least bit of government interference.

The bottom line though is that a private business should be allowed to provide a smoke-friendly environment if they want to. It should be their prerogative, just like it's your prerogative to choose to dine there.

People can smoke on their own private property(their home, yard, etc.), but when you're out around other people, especially children, smoking isn't really a good thing to be doing. I'm sure many people would also find it very unappitizing to walk into a restaurant only to see everybody smoking.:

So walk out and take your business elsewhere.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 6:04:57 PM
I hate those dicckheads on campus who smoke right outside the doors. I'm all for natural selection but for petes sake don't drag me down with you.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 8:56:51 PM
At 1/30/2011 6:04:57 PM, askbob wrote:
I hate those dicckheads on campus who smoke right outside the doors. I'm all for natural selection but for petes sake don't drag me down with you.

heeeyyyy...i'm one of those guys :( pity meeee...
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 9:00:08 PM

also.. it's partly your pussyness that's killing you.. seeing as you're allowing it to go on... weeding out the weak! :P
signature
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 9:11:16 PM
I'm totally going to get attacked for this...but I support those bans. Oftentimes, too many people are exposed to second-hand smoke against their will and often it's not as simple as just "walking away", considering it travels through the air. People can smoke on their own private property(their home, yard, etc.), but when you're out around other people, especially children, smoking isn't really a good thing to be doing. I'm sure many people would also find it very unappitizing to walk into a restaurant only to see everybody smoking.

A hookah bar is a place you go specifically to smoke, so yes it is as simple as not going there.

belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 9:16:17 PM
might be tough... my college town was the same way, and they had some convoluted city code that made it virtually (or perhaps explicitly, i don't remember) illegal to open a hookah bar within city limits.

if you don't wanna smoke, don't, but ffs, don't ban other people from doing it, especially in designated areas where no one who didn't want to smoke would go...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 2:11:54 AM
The possible loopholes
Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter to the contrary, the following areas shall not be subject to the smoking restrictions of this chapter
(I) Private residences, except when used as a child care, adult day care or health care facility.
(2) Twenty-five percent (25%) of hotel and motel rooms rented to guests.
(3) Retail tobacco store

Heres the ordinance itself for anyone interested.
http://www.smokefreebloomington.org...

HatedeatH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 2:16:54 AM
At 1/30/2011 9:11:16 PM, lewis20 wrote:

A hookah bar is a place you go specifically to smoke, so yes it is as simple as not going there.

fine, people can smoke in hookah bars, but no other public places. There's just too much potential for everybody else to get exposed to unwanted second-hand smoke. Some people are extremely sensitive to it too.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 2:24:43 AM
At 1/31/2011 2:16:54 AM, HatedeatH wrote:

fine, people can smoke in hookah bars, but no other public places. There's just too much potential for everybody else to get exposed to unwanted second-hand smoke. Some people are extremely sensitive to it too.

solution: do not enter a business that allows smoking. solved!
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 2:26:03 AM

Lol, good luck enforcing that...
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 2:26:06 AM
-public places

WTF?!?!?!?!?! FVCK off government. FVCK off.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 2:26:26 AM

I don't think anyone has a problem banning smoking in public places as that's infringing on other peoples right to clean air. I do have a problem with telling people how to run their private business and dictating what the business can and can't allow within the confines of its walls.

annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 2:27:46 AM
At 1/31/2011 2:26:26 AM, lewis20 wrote:

I don't think anyone has a problem banning smoking in public places as that's infringing on other peoples right to clean air.

I have a problem with that.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 2:29:47 AM

I don't think anyone has a problem banning smoking in public places as that's infringing on other peoples right to clean air. I do have a problem with telling people how to run their private business and dictating what the business can and can't allow within the confines of its walls.

EXACTLY

Do you understand that there is a difference between PUBLIC and PRIVATE?
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 2:34:56 AM
At 1/31/2011 2:27:46 AM, annhasle wrote:

I don't think anyone has a problem banning smoking in public places as that's infringing on other peoples right to clean air.

Cig's not the ganj hah

annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 2:39:44 AM
At 1/31/2011 2:34:56 AM, lewis20 wrote:

Cig's not the ganj hah

Yup, that too. I smoke cigarettes as well. Think about how such a policy would be enforced... There would be no efficient way. Anyone smoking outside would get fined?
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 2:46:11 AM
At 1/31/2011 2:39:44 AM, annhasle wrote:

Cig's not the ganj hah

Yup, that too. I smoke cigarettes as well. Think about how such a policy would be enforced... There would be no efficient way. Anyone smoking outside would get fined?

I'm just lookin to get my hookah bar, but since you asked I think public refers to things owned by the city. Buses, city buildings, the university campus etc.

HatedeatH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 2:50:23 AM
At 1/31/2011 2:46:11 AM, lewis20 wrote:

Cig's not the ganj hah

I'm just lookin to get my hookah bar, but since you asked I think public refers to things owned by the city. Buses, city buildings, the university campus etc.

I was referring more to anywhere that the public goes including restaurants, arenas, stores, etc. There can be designated hookah bars for the smokers to go though so everybody can be happy; smokers can have a place to smoke and then all the non-smokers don't have to be upset about second hand smoke.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 3:14:03 AM

Cig's not the ganj hah

That would be BS. I think state owned things (shools, DMVs <fvck them btw>, hospitals etc) shouldn't allow smoking, but private places such as a restaurant, should allow them. Outside is free land.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 2:17:01 PM
At 1/30/2011 9:00:08 PM, badger wrote:

also.. it's partly your pussyness that's killing you.. seeing as you're allowing it to go on... weeding out the weak! :P

heh! heh!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
PervRat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 3:08:24 PM
Why should an employer be forced to make their minimum-wage workers with no health care plan inhale deadly carcinogens as a condition of employment?

Any unpopular carcinogens, that sort of requirement would require hazard duty pay to such employees.

Anyone who forces others to breathe in their secondhand smoke is committing assault. It is no different than slipping roofies in someone's drink or jabbing someone with a needle.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 3:13:55 PM
At 3/8/2011 3:08:24 PM, PervRat wrote:
Why should an employer be forced to make their minimum-wage workers with no health care plan inhale deadly carcinogens as a condition of employment?

Any unpopular carcinogens, that sort of requirement would require hazard duty pay to such employees.

Anyone who forces others to breathe in their secondhand smoke is committing assault. It is no different than slipping roofies in someone's drink or jabbing someone with a needle.

If employees don't like their work conditions they resign.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Sam_Lowry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 10:12:36 AM
At 3/8/2011 3:08:24 PM, PervRat wrote:

Any business owner can ban smoking without relying on legislation.

What about popular carcinogens?

It's the same thing as long as the "victim" voluntarily stabs them-self with a needle or knowingly drinks spiked punch that is clearly marked.