Favorite Battles

Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 2:30:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Austria-Ottoman Wars, 1529

The Ottoman Turks' unsuccessful siege of Vienna in 1529 marked the beginning of the long decline of their empire. It also stopped the advance of Islam into central and western Europe, and ensured that the Christian rather than the Muslim religion and culture would dominate the region.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 2:33:37 PM
Battle of Chamkaur
Part of Mughal-Sikh Wars
Date December 6, 1705
Location Near the village of Chamkaur
Result :Despite infinitely greater numbers, the Mughal army failed to capture or kill Guru Gobind Singh. Sikh victory.
Belligerents
Mughal Empire Khalsa
Commanders and leaders
Flag of the Mughal Empire.svg Wazir Khan Guru Gobind Singh
Strength
Thousands (not specific) 48: Guru Gobind Singh, 40 Sikhs, Panj Piare, Sahibzada Ajit Singh, Sahibzada Jujhar Singh
Casualties and losses
1000 killed 44 killed

48 people bested an army of the most powerful Mughal soldiers.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 2:34:48 PM
The Battle at Kursk. The largest tank battle in human history.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 2:34:57 PM
Battle of Austerlitz. Napoleon's greatest masterpiece, destroying the Third Coalition in a single battle.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 2:36:31 PM
The Pig War.

Funniest instigation of a conflict ever.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 3:08:40 PM
At 7/9/2012 2:47:42 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Stalingrad

When Hitler foolishly unleashed the Soviets full anger and military capacity on himself.

This and some of the battles in the Greco-Persian war are awesome.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 3:45:16 PM
Anglo-Zanzibar War, one battle, about 40 minutes and was also the shortest war in history. That's why :P
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 4:14:21 PM
Stalingrad

When Hitler foolishly unleashed the Soviets full anger and military capacity on himself.

Let's face it, this was one of the most significant (if not the most significant) single battles in the 20th century.

Though I also enjoy the "battle" of Midway.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 4:54:47 PM
Stalingrad

Seconded (:
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 4:59:28 PM
At 7/9/2012 4:04:40 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Spanish American War when we raped Spain for all their colonies lol

After which we proceeded to rape their colonies, haha
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 7:24:09 PM
Why is there no love for the Pig War?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 9:33:37 PM
Waterloo

I have always liked that battle because it seems the Duke and Napoleon were meant as arch rivals of each other. It was one of the most important battles in history.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 11:17:58 PM
The First War of Independence of India in 1857.

I love it mostly because of the fact that the center of the rebellion was lead by a woman, Rani Laxmibai. It adds that spark to the whole battle. Negotiations, loss, victory and then finally a loss. Even though Indians lost the war, leading to a whole century of colonialisation- effects of which I feel are still felt today, the whole battle was enthralling. It could have gone either way. And considering the strategic importance of India in the second world war, the war had a huge impact on the future.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 1:23:02 AM
Stalingrad

This.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 1:39:07 AM
At 7/9/2012 9:33:37 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
Waterloo

I have always liked that battle because it seems the Duke and Napoleon were meant as arch rivals of each other. It was one of the most important battles in history.

Definitely. I admire Napoléon, and I hate the outcome of Waterloo, but it was definitely an influential and decisive battle. Wellington said afterwards of who was the better general, "In this age, in any age, Napoleon."
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 1:48:38 AM
At 7/9/2012 9:46:15 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Blah blah blah Western wars :p

Mongol siege of Baghdad?
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 6:31:52 PM
This could fit under Education, Politics, or Personal, depending on how you weigh different aspects of the OP. We don't need a History forum.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2012 5:53:51 PM
At 7/9/2012 2:34:57 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
Battle of Austerlitz. Napoleon's greatest masterpiece, destroying the Third Coalition in a single battle.

I love that one
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2012 5:54:20 PM
Battle of the Saintes, Admiral Rodney destroyed the french
Wall of LOL
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2012 5:55:54 PM
Battle of Poltava
Wall of LOL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 8:25:19 PM
The Fool: my favorite series is the Greek vs Persia. 300 hundred and those of Alexander.

I like the Carthage vs Rome series. The Putanic wars I think they were called.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 8:26:09 PM
The Fool: This is making me want to Total War.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 8:27:03 PM
The Fool: I can't wait for a Total War. Rome II. It won't be able to stop playing it.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 8:28:13 PM
The Fool: WOW! http://www.totalwar.com...