Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

Kickoff Topics: Fighting Jim Crow

Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 2:47:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The conservative, liberal, libertarian, and anarchist all have different feelings about how to deal with Jim Crow. Let's just go on the assumption, however, that all are united in thinking Jim Crow is BAD.

Let's say you're alive in the time of Jim Crow and had vast political and monetary resources. How would you try and change it? Civil disobedience, supreme court cases, guerilla warfare, full-scale revolt, secession for anyone who disagrees, asking politely, buying of local politicians etc.

Do you think your method would have been faster or slower than actual history at dismantling Jim Crow? That is, you might say the free market will handle things, but it would take longer to "handle things" than if history had played out as it has.
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 2:49:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'd do political petitioning/legal petitioning/supreme court. If that fails, full on civil disobedience and, if necessary, revolt.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 2:56:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/9/2012 2:47:48 PM, Wnope wrote:
The conservative, liberal, libertarian, and anarchist all have different feelings about how to deal with Jim Crow. Let's just go on the assumption, however, that all are united in thinking Jim Crow is BAD.

Let's say you're alive in the time of Jim Crow and had vast political and monetary resources. How would you try and change it? Civil disobedience, supreme court cases, guerilla warfare, full-scale revolt, secession for anyone who disagrees, asking politely, buying of local politicians etc.

These seem fun.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 2:57:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Peaceful means can be tried first, but if they don't work within a few years, revolt is justified. The "they were removed eventually" arguments are bull because they literally took generations to remove, meaning generations were denied rights. Just because some people in later generations were granted rights doesn't mean that they injustice has been dealt with properly.
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 3:13:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Civil disobedience, non-violent resistance, marches. Anyone thinking violent resistance or guerilla warfare would work in the US during Jim Crow is out of their minds. It would alienate white sympathizers - the struggle is to be won by the reputation of the movement and by inspiring and serving as an example to other movements. If we're talking alternative history where the US public is less receptive I would probably just move away as a last resort and leave the South crippled economically.
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 3:15:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Hmmmm.... I would go with asking nicely-->Supreme Court charges--->Protesting
By that point, if segregation is still going on, REVOLT!!!!!!!!!!!!
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 6:52:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Nihilism/Relativism, brah.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 12:55:23 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/9/2012 6:52:41 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Nihilism/Relativism, brah.

Doesn't mean one couldn't fight Jim Crow laws. All it means is that one wouldn't attempt to ground their decision in metaphysical legitimacy.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
fire_wings
Posts: 5,551
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2016 1:07:48 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
Bump.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
j50wells
Posts: 345
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2016 9:43:41 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
The way to defeat Jim Crow laws is through popular opinion. The internet is helping us beat Jim Crow laws today. We can put opinion polls up on a website and see what popular opinion is. Then we can show these polls to the politicians. The politician that runs on the promise of ending the Jim Crow law will get elected.
Popular opinion is so important in any of these issues. They who would use Legislative powers against popular opinion will soon find themselves out of a job in a Democracy. The people would fight back. They would vote for politicians who supported Jim Crow laws. The nation would go backwards and maybe never recover. So these things must be done delicately. It doesn't matter how evil you think the masses are. If you go against them, they will hang you by your nuts.
So how do we stop Jim Crow? We get the word out. Because most people find compassion and unity appealing, you must get the word out about how bad Jim Crow is. You must show them that life would be better for everyone with the repel of Jim Crow Laws. Then you can take more opinion polls. When the opinion polls are in your favor you can run a candidate who will repeal Jim Crow and then they would get elected.
It isn't just Jim Crow. There is a lot of mis-information even today. People still hate stem cell research, even though scientists do not use the flesh of fetuses for stem cell research. The fundamentalists lied about the fetuses. The scientists never used them, nor do they have to. There are many ways to use stem cells without using fetuses. Yet the lie of the fundamentalists was promoted anyway.
If we can get the word out we can repeal the laws against stem cell research. Stem cell research will allow us to heal almost all diseases, even stopping cancer. We will live to be 150 if we can perfect stem cell research. The word needs to get out there.