Jump to topic:

Best and Worst Presidents

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 2:23:33 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Name your top three and bottom three presidents.

Best:
1. Grover Cleveland
2. John Tyler
3. Rutherford B. Hayes

Worst
1. Woodrow Wilson
2. Harry S Truman (get a real middle name for fvck's sake)
3. George W. Bush
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 2:29:15 AM
Best.
1. Abe Lincoln
2. Washington
3. Teddy Roosevelt

Worst.
1. Nixon, I guess
2. The Muslim agent from Kenya
3. Sorry, don't know many Presidents
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 2:31:11 AM
At 7/10/2012 2:23:33 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Dude, you're being completely unfair to him. He went after the people who bum-rapped his daughter.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 2:32:24 AM
*Cue debate between statists and libertarians regarding Lincoln*
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 4:23:31 AM
At 7/10/2012 2:32:24 AM, socialpinko wrote:

He was a wonderful warmongering, freedom-destroying, economy-ravaging dictator. Furthermore, 620,000 lives is a fair trade for ending slavery that would have withered away without the state; and, forced military slavery is ethically defensible; a national bank, protectionism, and subsidies is the path to prosperity. Conclusion: The Cult of Abe is justified.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 4:57:42 AM
At 7/10/2012 4:23:31 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 7/10/2012 2:32:24 AM, socialpinko wrote:

He was a wonderful warmongering, freedom-destroying, economy-ravaging dictator. Furthermore, 620,000 lives is a fair trade for ending slavery that would have withered away without the state; and, forced military slavery is ethically defensible; a national bank, protectionism, and subsidies is the path to prosperity. Conclusion: The Cult of Abe is justified.

Nah bro, cuz if we didn't have him we'd still have slavery. Non-war methods of ending slavery only worked for every other industrialized country. Why do you think it would work for us? Of course, the war wasn't really over that but whatever. It's a nice way to try and win arguments based off of emotive dribble i.e. butz without the war wez would still have slaves!
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 8:20:28 AM
I don't support Lincoln because of other things that he did, but I do support military action against slavery (although he really wasn't doing that; he was waging war to preserve his own power). "Ending slavery eventually through industrialization" is not a persuasive argument because people deserve their rights NOW, not later. Justice isn't achieved by giving the next generation rights; a grave injustice has still been inflicted upon the current generation.
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 8:29:40 AM
Best
Thomas Jefferson
That's about it.

Worst
Abraham Lincoln
George W Bush
Mitt Romney
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 8:30:39 AM
At 7/10/2012 8:29:40 AM, Calvincambridge wrote:
Best
Thomas Jefferson
That's about it.

Jefferson was a slave owner and a rapist.
Worst
Abraham Lincoln
George W Bush
Mitt Romney
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 8:51:55 AM
At 7/10/2012 8:30:39 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Best
Thomas Jefferson
That's about it.

That's his business. I like his Lezze Affair politics.
Worst
Abraham Lincoln
George W Bush
Mitt Romney
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 8:54:45 AM
At 7/10/2012 8:51:55 AM, Calvincambridge wrote:
Best
Thomas Jefferson
That's about it.

That's his business.
LOL, yeah, it as "his business" that he was a criminal who violated rights.
I like his Lezze Affair politics.
You mean like preventing people from pursuing their own ends through slavery? Oh, I forgot, Laissez Faire style freedom only belongs to whites.
Worst
Abraham Lincoln
George W Bush
Mitt Romney
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 9:20:40 AM
At 7/10/2012 8:54:45 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Best
Thomas Jefferson
That's about it.

That's his business.

Who am I to judge a dead guy.
You mean like preventing people from pursuing their own ends through slavery? Oh, I forgot, Laissez Faire style freedom only belongs to whites.

Well it was a start.
Worst
Abraham Lincoln
George W Bush
Mitt Romney
Dude. Shades
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 9:23:24 AM
At 7/10/2012 8:20:28 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
I don't support Lincoln because of other things that he did, but I do support military action against slavery (although he really wasn't doing that; he was waging war to preserve his own power). "Ending slavery eventually through industrialization" is not a persuasive argument because people deserve their rights NOW, not later. Justice isn't achieved by giving the next generation rights; a grave injustice has still been inflicted upon the current generation.

I agree. Yeah the market has some negative incentives in relation to slavery but as far as slavery is concerned, it's a little too serious to leave to that. Some Django Unchained shat is in order if you ask me.
:
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 9:27:08 AM
At 7/10/2012 9:20:40 AM, Calvincambridge wrote:
At 7/10/2012 8:54:45 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Best
Thomas Jefferson
That's about it.

That's his business.

Who am I to judge a dead guy.
You seem to be perfectly happy judging other dead people, which is why you labeled Lincoln the "Worst".

Well it was a start.
LOL, not really.
Worst
Abraham Lincoln
George W Bush
Mitt Romney
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 9:29:10 AM
At 7/10/2012 9:23:24 AM, socialpinko wrote:

I agree. Yeah the market has some negative incentives in relation to slavery but as far as slavery is concerned, it's a little too serious to leave to that. Some Django Unchained shat is in order if you ask me.

What are the market incentives for not having slaves? The only one I can think of is that you have to care for them (while you can easily pay workers much less than they need to survive in an absolutely free market), but before the slave trade was illegal, in some areas, like Barbados, the plantation worked the slaves to death and purchased new ones. It was only expensive in the U.S. because the state abolished the slave trade.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 9:51:32 AM
Best:

Ronald Reagan
Nixon
Lincoln
Washington
Teddy!!
*not in any order*

Worst:

Obama
FDR
Jackson (not for economic reasons)
And more...
*not in ant order*
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 10:28:07 AM
At 7/10/2012 9:29:10 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 7/10/2012 9:23:24 AM, socialpinko wrote:

What are the market incentives for not having slaves? The only one I can think of is that you have to care for them (while you can easily pay workers much less than they need to survive in an absolutely free market), but before the slave trade was illegal, in some areas, like Barbados, the plantation worked the slaves to death and purchased new ones. It was only expensive in the U.S. because the state abolished the slave trade.

There are a few negative economic aspects of slavery which were hidden by laws. The main one stemming from the fact that humans don't make for "good property" (to their owners) since we can actually think. Slavery is actually a life long tragedy on humans as opposed to cows or chickens. This is where the runaway problem came and it was a large problem for slave owners who couldn't be just hiring bounty hunters left and right to go pick up every runaway. That's where the government stepped in with laws such as the Fugitive Slave Act.

I'm not saying slavery could never be profitable in a free market, just that it's not exactly optimal. You could just as easily get away with paying a free person a sh1tty wage rather then house, feed, and clothe a bunch of full grown men (and have to deal with them running away). I know there's a large underground slave market but we can see that it stems mostly from a lack of positive legal options. That's why slavery is most prevalent in industries like sex and the drug trade which are illegal.
:
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 10:31:58 AM

Best:
1. Grover Cleveland
2. John Tyler
3. Rutherford B. Hayes

Worst
1. Woodrow Wilson
3. George W. Bush

Thank you for acknowledging that Woodrow Wilson was terrible. He practicaly created a police state, and on the side he secretly intervened in the Russian revolution.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 11:22:04 AM

Best:
1. Grover Cleveland
2. John Tyler
3. Rutherford B. Hayes

Grover Cleveland? What did he do? He increased tariffs, and was a Bourbon Democrat, which means he was pro-business and let the workers fend for themselves.

Worst
1. Woodrow Wilson
3. George W. Bush
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 11:25:18 AM
Best

FDR
Teddy Roosevelt
Clinton
Eisenhower/ Obama

Truman is competitive though.

Worst

Harding
Andrew Johnson
Nixon
Bush 43
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 11:30:46 AM
Best

Ronald Reagan
Calvin Coolidge
Theodore Roosevelt

Worst

FDR
Woodrow Wilson
Obama

*none of the above are in an particular order*
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 11:32:44 AM
Not one mention yet of Franklin Pierce on the worst list?

Without Hawthorne's book as an endorsement of his good buddy, he would never have gotten elected in the first place...

...And when you consider the fact that Pierce is also the only elected President to fail to be nominated by his own party as an incumbent, it really shows how much of a failure he really was.
Debate.org Moderator
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 12:11:47 PM
jimmy carter :P

obligatory "it doesn't matter, all presidents are pawns who do what the people behind the scenes tell them to do in an attempt to keep us focused on insignificant matters" statement.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 12:19:25 PM
Best:
1. George Washington
2. Franklin Roosevelt
3. Abraham Lincoln

Worst:
1. James Buchannan
2. Andrew Johnson
3. Ulysses S. Grant
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 1:13:22 PM
At 7/10/2012 11:32:44 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

Without Hawthorne's book as an endorsement of his good buddy, he would never have gotten elected in the first place...

...And when you consider the fact that Pierce is also the only elected President to fail to be nominated by his own party as an incumbent, it really shows how much of a failure he really was.

We all know that from 1837-1901, all the Presidents were pretty lame, with Abraham Lincoln and James K. Polk being the exceptions. And the Spanish American War was good for the US too though.

Millard Fillmore also was not renominated as his party's candidate, he was the president before Pierce.

drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 1:20:14 PM

I think malicious corruption trumpts ineptitude of equal amounts. I put Ol' Ulysses because he was just so very inept. Shoulda stuck to the wars!
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 1:27:55 PM
Best:

Every president from Washington to Madison

In the modern era either Reagan or Clinton take the prize.

Worst:

LBJ
Wilson
McKinley
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 2:20:35 PM
At 7/10/2012 1:13:22 PM, Contra wrote:

We all know that from 1837-1901, all the Presidents were pretty lame, with Abraham Lincoln and James K. Polk being the exceptions. And the Spanish American War was good for the US too though.

Millard Fillmore also was not renominated as his party's candidate, he was the president before Pierce.

Fillmore took office when Taylor died, so it's not the same scenario. Pierce is the only President to be elected and then not nominated again.

Fillmore, Andrew Johnson, and Chester A. Arthur were all denied nomination by their party, but none of them were elected President to begin with.
Debate.org Moderator