Jump to topic:

The worst atrocity in history?

Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 3:15:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
What, in your opinion, was the greatest atrocity committed in human history?

Now I'll have an easy time finding my fellow muckrakers (;
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 6:27:39 PM
Can we get a standard in here? I suppose total human deaths would be a good one. To that I'd prolly say the establishment of Communism (note not Marxism, but the specific implementation of Communist regimes which weren't actually Marxist).
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 6:29:35 PM
Well, is this a single event, or how badly people were hurt?

Does it matter the cause?

Because, this could be very broad.....
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 6:58:22 PM
Ok, let me specify. We'd be talking about a single event. And like the holocaust, it could be a long term event playing out over many years. It doesn't have to be, although if you believe it to be then that is your opinion, a brief but horrific massacre like Mi Lai. You could even cite an entire war if you'd like, but that's as far as it would go. It would have to be a war that was particularly brutal or cost a particularly high amount of civilian lives. An as for what constitutes the "worst", brutality or scope, well that's up to you.

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 7:08:35 PM
At 7/10/2012 7:01:00 PM, drafterman wrote:
Agriculture.

Well at least one former DDO member thinks so.. He did like 3 debates on the subject, wrote a bunch of stuff on the forums and then disappeared forever.. anyone remember that guy?
Debate.org Moderator
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 7:10:19 PM
Money.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 7:15:40 PM
I didn't mean things that have caused atrocities, I mean the atrocities themselves. Although those are all good answers in a broader sense (;

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 7:33:47 PM
The rise of Communism.

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 7:37:09 PM
Actually, never mind, it happened twice (Spanish Revolution in Catalonia and Free Territories in Russian Revolution). What do you have against those regimes?
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 7:40:00 PM
At 7/10/2012 7:16:06 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
When Wilt Chamberlain died.

That's my daytonanerd!

Actually I've never spoken to you before but the sitcom style predictability of your responses is too good to pass up.

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 7:41:32 PM
At 7/10/2012 7:33:47 PM, OberHerr wrote:
The rise of Capatalism.

O
I never thought that you would say that Ober!
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 7:41:54 PM
At 7/10/2012 7:40:00 PM, Frederick53 wrote:

That's my daytonanerd!

Actually I've never spoken to you before but the sitcom style predictability of your responses is too good to pass up.

I PULL OUT MY BERETTA
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 7:45:54 PM
At 7/10/2012 7:43:11 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
I won't count Capitalism because there are systems that are even more unjust.

Any... like specific atrocities you could think of? Sorry to pick on you but despite my specification post nobody seems to have mentioned anything other than extremely vague nouns.

Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 7:51:54 PM
At 7/10/2012 7:08:35 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
Agriculture.

Well at least one former DDO member thinks so.. He did like 3 debates on the subject, wrote a bunch of stuff on the forums and then disappeared forever.. anyone remember that guy?

haha! Actually I heard about that guy from drafterman... and my most recent debate with Chrysippus was inspired by it. If you want to get into sheer quantity (greatest number of people over the greatest amount of time and space) of pain and misery, agriculture is probably accurate-especially in it's beginnings. Whether the technological, academic, logical, etc. advances make up for that pain and misery is debatable I guess.... but I think the vast majority of people probably agree that it's worth it.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 7:52:21 PM
At 7/10/2012 7:40:00 PM, Frederick53 wrote:

That's my daytonanerd!

Cuz that's what Wilt Chamberlain does to men.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 7:58:06 PM
At 7/10/2012 7:36:33 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 7/10/2012 7:33:47 PM, OberHerr wrote:
The rise of Communism.

So, basically nothing, since that has never happened.

Name =\= Accurate portrayal of what happened

However, that is pretty much e name for it. And it holds a several hundred million live death toll....maybe even a billion

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 8:00:42 PM
At 7/10/2012 7:51:54 PM, Oryus wrote:
Agriculture.

haha! Actually I heard about that guy from drafterman... and my most recent debate with Chrysippus was inspired by it. If you want to get into sheer quantity (greatest number of people over the greatest amount of time and space) of pain and misery, agriculture is probably accurate-especially in it's beginnings. Whether the technological, academic, logical, etc. advances make up for that pain and misery is debatable I guess.... but I think the vast majority of people probably agree that it's worth it.

yeah I suppose so.. Though reproduction has lead to more death than anything else. So I'll go with that over agriculture. Perhaps we could go with society in general. Or just people. Or primordial ooze.

So many atrocities, so little time...
Debate.org Moderator
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 8:03:47 PM
At 7/10/2012 8:00:42 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
Agriculture.

yeah I suppose so.. Though reproduction has lead to more death than anything else. So I'll go with that over agriculture. Perhaps we could go with society in general. Or just people. Or primordial ooze.

Thinking has lead to COUNTLESS deaths. Could you imagine how many lives would be saved if some wisecrack put there hadn't decided to think?!?

Ironically, not-thinking has brought about almost as many deaths.

Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 8:04:36 PM
Agriculture.

We could start by naming specific ones. Like ones that directly resulted in death and lasted for a certain amount of time.

Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 8:05:11 PM
Agriculture.

Yup. Civilization is pretty bad. But don't say people.. that means that Chrysippus wins.... shhhhh ;)
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 8:05:55 PM
At 7/10/2012 8:03:47 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Agriculture.

Thinking has lead to COUNTLESS deaths. Could you imagine how many lives would be saved if some wisecrack put there hadn't decided to think?!?

Indeed.. And yet, there have been very few debates about the atrocity that is thinking. Though in some countries thinking has mostly been banned, and state regulated. Nothing bad ever happens there.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 8:06:33 PM
At 7/10/2012 8:05:11 PM, Oryus wrote:
Agriculture.

Yup. Civilization is pretty bad. But don't say people.. that means that Chrysippus wins.... shhhhh ;)

haha, I meant everything, except for people.
Debate.org Moderator
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 8:06:34 PM
Agriculture.

haha Yeah... reacting is probably more likely detrimental than actually thinking things through. Emotional reactions.

As to the O.P., luckily I don't personally know of many atrocities, though I know they've happened. But the holocaust is pretty damn bad...
:
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 8:09:41 PM
At 7/10/2012 8:06:34 PM, Oryus wrote:
Agriculture.

haha Yeah... reacting is probably more likely detrimental than actually thinking things through. Emotional reactions.

As to the O.P., luckily I don't personally know of many atrocities, though I know they've happened. But the holocaust is pretty damn bad...

And ultrasuede. So bad it doesn't register on DDO's spell check, thank you DDO..

But yeah.. The holocaust, slavery, countless wars, persecutions, pogroms against minorities, genocides etc etc.. Atrocities are common in human history and continue to this day.
Debate.org Moderator
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 8:09:59 PM
At 7/10/2012 8:06:34 PM, Oryus wrote:
Agriculture.

Congratulations, you're the first person to actually respond according to the parameters of the question (: