Jump to topic:

Favorite composers?

1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 3:41:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Here are some of my favorite composers(No order)

Vivaldi
Handel
Bach
Purcell
Corelli

All from the Baroque period.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 3:44:14 PM
Mussorgsky... I love "Pictures at an Exhibition."
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
NixonianVolkswagen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 3:45:29 PM
At 7/18/2012 3:41:21 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:

Vivaldi
Handel
Bach
Purcell
Corelli

And Tchaikosvky.

On a somewhat related note, have you seen "Barry Lyndon", directed by Stanley Kubrick?
"There is an almost universal tendency, perhaps an inborn tendency, to suspect the good faith of a man who holds opinions that differ from our own opinions."

- Karl "Spartacus" Popper
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 3:52:51 PM
At 7/18/2012 3:45:29 PM, NixonianVolkswagen wrote:

Vivaldi
Handel
Bach
Purcell
Corelli

And Tchaikosvky.

On a somewhat related note, have you seen "Barry Lyndon", directed by Stanley Kubrick?

Yes, I love that movie! It is one of the best movies! My only concern is that not enough people see it.
Wall of LOL
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 3:53:24 PM
At 7/18/2012 3:44:14 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
Mussorgsky... I love "Pictures at an Exhibition."

Ahh him, I like him too.
Wall of LOL
NixonianVolkswagen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 5:07:46 PM
At 7/18/2012 3:52:51 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:
At 7/18/2012 3:45:29 PM, NixonianVolkswagen wrote:

Vivaldi
Handel
Bach
Purcell
Corelli

And Tchaikosvky.

Yes, I love that movie! It is one of the best movies! My only concern is that not enough people see it.

You're clearly an awesome person. I approve of you. :)

To spread the word we should do a "V For Vendetta": hijack Fox News and show nothing but Barry Lyndon for 24 hours.
"There is an almost universal tendency, perhaps an inborn tendency, to suspect the good faith of a man who holds opinions that differ from our own opinions."

- Karl "Spartacus" Popper
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 5:08:05 PM
1. Dvorak
2. Tchaikovsky
3. Chopin
4. Schubert
5. Brahms

All Romantic Era
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 5:31:12 PM
At 7/18/2012 5:08:05 PM, 000ike wrote:
1. Dvorak
2. Tchaikovsky
3. Chopin
4. Schubert
5. Brahms

All Romantic Era

Nice list. Last night I went to a free concert of the New York Philharmonic in the Bronx, and they played pieces by (in order) Wagner, Tchaikovsky, and Brahms. Yo, I'm really into all those musicians and am looking for more by them. Do you have any recommendations? Like, favorite pieces by some or all of those artists? Would be much appreciated.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 5:57:04 PM
At 7/18/2012 5:31:12 PM, jat93 wrote:
At 7/18/2012 5:08:05 PM, 000ike wrote:
1. Dvorak
2. Tchaikovsky
3. Chopin
4. Schubert
5. Brahms

All Romantic Era

Nice list. Last night I went to a free concert of the New York Philharmonic in the Bronx, and they played pieces by (in order) Wagner, Tchaikovsky, and Brahms. Yo, I'm really into all those musicians and am looking for more by them. Do you have any recommendations? Like, favorite pieces by some or all of those artists? Would be much appreciated.

definitely. I'll recommend only the best one(s) from each. Some of them are long, so I'll also direct you to the theme of it.

Dvorak - New World Symphony (2nd movement in particular), Symphony no. 8 (3rd mvt in particular), Humoresque, Song my mother taught me for violin...I don't like the one with lyrics that much, romantic pieces no. 1 (the 1st video)

Tchaikovsky - symphony no. 5 (2nd video, fastforward to 27:00) , Symphony no. 6 (3rd video fastforward to 8:10), piano concerto no. 1

Chopin - ALL the etudes, fantasie impromptu,

Schubert - Op. 90 no. 3 (4th video)

Brahms - piano quartet in C minor
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 6:11:57 PM
- Tchaikovsky (my absolute favorite composer ever)
- Mozart
- Beethoven
- Dvorak
- Wagner
- Bach
- Vivaldi
- Rachmaninoff
- Mendelssohn