Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Woodrow Wilson: Worst US President Ever?

adontimasu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 8:19:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
He was the president that probably got us the closest to a fascist state.

* Sedition Act
* The Palmer Raids (the attempted arrest and deportation of thousands of radical leftists)
* Re-institution of government segregation
* The income tax
* The League of Nations
* The Federal Reserve

What do you think? Do you think he was a terrible president? (Or perhaps the worst?)
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 9:08:46 PM
At 9/15/2012 8:19:05 PM, adontimasu wrote:

* Sedition Act
* The Palmer Raids (the attempted arrest and deportation of thousands of radical leftists)

Supreme Court case. He had no control of it. Segregation was done at the state level, not the federal level.

* The income tax
: * The League of Nations

US didn't join.

* The Federal Reserve

What do you think? Do you think he was a terrible president? (Or perhaps the worst?)
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 9:14:03 PM
As a progressive who agrees with some of the things he did, I'm still willing to admit that Woodrow Wilson was indeed still the worst president.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
adontimasu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 9:29:06 PM
At 9/15/2012 9:08:46 PM, darkkermit wrote:

* Sedition Act

Supreme Court case. He had no control of it. Segregation was done at the state level, not the federal level.
What was a supreme court case decision? The sedition act was a congressional extension that Wilson failed to veto. Bullsh*t he had no control over the Palmer Raids. Even if he didn't, he definitely supported it. To quote Wilson: "Such creatures of passion, disloyalty and anarchy must be crushed out." Fair enough on the segregation.

* The income tax

US didn't join.
Wilson wanted them to, though.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 9:38:19 PM
At 9/15/2012 9:29:06 PM, adontimasu wrote:

* Sedition Act

What was a supreme court case decision? The sedition act was a congressional extension that Wilson failed to veto. Bullsh*t he had no control over the Palmer Raids. Even if he didn't, he definitely supported it. To quote Wilson: "Such creatures of passion, disloyalty and anarchy must be crushed out." Fair enough on the segregation.

I was referring to the segregation acts.

* The income tax

US didn't join.

Fact is that US didn't join though which is my main point.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
adontimasu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 9:41:28 PM
At 9/15/2012 9:38:19 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/15/2012 9:29:06 PM, adontimasu wrote:

* Sedition Act

I was referring to the segregation acts.
Ah, never-mind then.

* The income tax

US didn't join.

Fact is that US didn't join though which is my main point.
Okay? The only reason they didn't was because the US congress at the time wanted to remain isolationist after WWI ended, to make sure they did not go through another global struggle. From my memory, Wilson wanted to join.
Shisno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 11:03:46 PM
I won't talk about Wilson being a bad US President. I won't go over any of that. What I will argue is that calling him the Worst US President Ever is completely imbecilic. There have been many worse presidents in our history, such as James Buchanan or Warren G. Harding.
"To the gentleman who spoke just now... Excuse me, but would you care to die?"
-Shelly de Killer
adontimasu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 6:25:03 PM
At 9/16/2012 11:03:46 PM, Shisno wrote:
I won't talk about Wilson being a bad US President. I won't go over any of that. What I will argue is that calling him the Worst US President Ever is completely imbecilic. There have been many worse presidents in our history, such as James Buchanan or Warren G. Harding.

Wilson actively sought to turn this country into a dictatorship (at least, one can come to that conclusion looking at the sh*t he pulled as president). Buchanan really didn't do anything good or bad, and neither, really, did Harding.
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 7:59:29 PM
At 9/15/2012 9:14:03 PM, FREEDO wrote:
As a progressive who agrees with some of the things he did, I'm still willing to admit that Woodrow Wilson was indeed still the worst president.

Really? As a progressive I find everything that he did to be despicable. Reintroducing segregation + deporting communists + intervening in the Russian revolution on the side of the tsar =/= progressive.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
Shisno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 10:51:31 PM
At 9/17/2012 6:25:03 PM, adontimasu wrote:
At 9/16/2012 11:03:46 PM, Shisno wrote:

Wilson actively sought to turn this country into a dictatorship (at least, one can come to that conclusion looking at the sh*t he pulled as president). Buchanan really didn't do anything good or bad, and neither, really, did Harding.
Buchanan stood by as the country was torn apart by secession. He did nothing, nada, zilch, zero. Harding was a corrupt president with corrupt advisors. Wilson did nothing that qualifies him as being "the worst". If you think Wilson is a fascist, then I assume you think Lincoln also tried to make America a fascist state?
"To the gentleman who spoke just now... Excuse me, but would you care to die?"
-Shelly de Killer