Jump to topic:

What do you think the Reformation was?

1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2012 5:20:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
For AP European history, my teacher has given us a debate so I decided it would fun to post this to Debate.org. The debate is:

Resolved: The Reformation was decidedly a political event.

People in support must justify that it was while people who oppose must say that it was a either a religious, economic, social, or other event. You cannot be on the fense for this debate. So, what do you think it was?
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2012 11:16:22 AM
At 9/24/2012 5:20:44 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
For AP European history, my teacher has given us a debate so I decided it would fun to post this to Debate.org. The debate is:

People in support must justify that it was while people who oppose must say that it was a either a religious, economic, social, or other event. You cannot be on the fense for this debate. So, what do you think it was?

Are you saying the cause of the Reformation was political or the effects of the reformation were political? Are you also saying that the only cause/effect is political?
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2012 11:37:58 AM

The Reformation was sparked by religion, but was decidedly a political event.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 6:51:08 PM
If you believe my old Euro Civ professor it's all about humanism.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2012 1:11:25 PM
Vaguely unrelated to the topic, but I understand the Reformation to have sparked the Counter-Reformation which sparked the Scientific Revolution.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2012 5:29:36 PM

Bit late to comment, but I would argue that the reformation (I'm assuming you're talking about that bit of chaos that emerged within christendom as a result of Luther) was all of those things. To examine the influences that caused it or impacts which followed on any of those levels (religious, economic, social, political, etc.) I think is appropriate, but to assert that the reformation itself was exclusively something that exists within one of those frameworks might be a bit narrow, unless your view of history cast the entire lineage of human existence itself as exclusively economic (Marx) or social (bulter) or political (etc.).
Tsar of DDO