Jump to topic:

I wanna talk ancient history

TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 9:38:35 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Okay, I have a question for you. Why do you think that many ancient civilizations have myths about an "Evil eye"?

I really do not know. I mean, you've got the "1 eye" in Judiasm, The Muslims (apparently) believed in it, Greeks, Romans, The list goes farther then this...

Why did so many civilizations believe in a ( not the same ) evil eye?
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
Like_a_Boss
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 9:58:05 AM
I think the "evil eye" is symbolic of just that, evil. Thousands of years ago people didn't enjoy our luxuries of safety, and the threat of dying any day was real. I think the stories of the "evil eye" were supposed to teach caution to people. I don't really know if that makes any sense to you.
Like a Boss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 1:51:20 PM
At 10/23/2012 9:38:35 AM, TheAntidoter wrote:
Okay, I have a question for you. Why do you think that many ancient civilizations have myths about an "Evil eye"?

I really do not know. I mean, you've got the "1 eye" in Judiasm, The Muslims (apparently) believed in it, Greeks, Romans, The list goes farther then this...

I think it refers to the third eye which is actually connected to spiritualism.

Maybe it was classified as evil in order to make us scornful of its significance?
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 1:58:00 PM
At 10/23/2012 9:11:39 AM, Like_a_Boss wrote:
I love talking about ancient history. So talk with me!!!
Have you seen Ancient Aliens Debunked on youtube? I found it to be a very informative video about the ancients. It is 3 hours long tho.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 11:32:44 PM
They drew them because eyes are just fun to draw...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
ObiWan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2012 4:52:40 AM
How ancient are you talking? I know a bit about ancient greek mythology? What's your favourite myth/ story?

Personally I love the Odyssey and the way Odysseus' men continually fall on their own sword, so to speak, and he is the only one with enough common sense to reach his home.
These are not the droids you're looking for.
Like_a_Boss
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2012 6:48:56 AM
Im talking about anything really. Greeks, Romans, Chinese, anything really. One of my favorite myths is the story of Perseus and the Minotaur. I just think it's a pretty boss story. Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to read the Odysseus, but I will be reading it in English later this year. Do you believe in the existence of Atlantis?
Like_a_Boss
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2012 7:32:03 AM
At 10/23/2012 1:58:00 PM, pozessed wrote:
Have you seen Ancient Aliens Debunked on youtube? I found it to be a very informative video about the ancients. It is 3 hours long tho.

It sounds like a cool video but there is no way I would have the time to sit down and watch it. What all is it about?
ObiWan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2012 3:14:01 AM
At 10/26/2012 6:48:56 AM, Like_a_Boss wrote:
Im talking about anything really. Greeks, Romans, Chinese, anything really. One of my favorite myths is the story of Perseus and the Minotaur. I just think it's a pretty boss story. Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to read the Odysseus, but I will be reading it in English later this year. Do you believe in the existence of Atlantis?

I think that, like most myths, Atlantis has a shred of truth to it. It was most likely a city that was destroyed by a flood or Tsunami and the legend has then been exaggerated. I don't think it's actually lying under water somewhere. What about you?
These are not the droids you're looking for.
nmadore
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 11:59:26 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/26/2012 4:52:40 AM, ObiWan wrote:
How ancient are you talking? I know a bit about ancient greek mythology? What's your favourite myth/ story?

Personally I love the Odyssey and the way Odysseus' men continually fall on their own sword, so to speak, and he is the only one with enough common sense to reach his home.

My favorite myth is the one about the Nephilim. I love the idea that some other being came to earth and started a whole race of giant hybrids.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 5:19:24 PM
At 10/23/2012 9:11:39 AM, Like_a_Boss wrote:
I love talking about ancient history. So talk with me!!!

What do you want to talk about?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 6:30:11 AM
At 10/23/2012 9:38:35 AM, TheAntidoter wrote:

I thought, it came from India through the Alexander conquest of Asia. Eye is a symbol of Hindu gods and mysticism which should be alien enough to those who have witnessed to tell the people back home as a symbol of oriental danger and evilness. Something like when the people in the colonial era believed that island people is a kind of cannibal and dangerous people.

I notice that all of the civilization you've mentioned has been part of the Hellenistic Empire of Alexander, so think this is a likely assumption.
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 4:04:26 AM
At 10/26/2012 6:48:56 AM, Like_a_Boss wrote:

You mean Theseus and the Minotaur, right? Perseus was the one who rescued Andromeda from Cetus.

It's probable that the Atlantis myth was based on the Minoan civilization living on Thera (modern-day Santorini), in the Aegean Sea. The island in the center of the caldera was sunk by a volcano in about 1700 - 1600 BC. The volcano had fallout as far away as Egypt, which has been proposed as a natural explanation for the 10 plagues of the Biblical Exodus (though Exodus itself contradicts archaeological records, and is probably a legend).
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2013 6:42:02 PM
At 8/30/2013 12:58:07 AM, winkie wrote:
guy!Do interest in chinese history?

Not much.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~