Jump to topic:

Jeffersonian Democracy

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2012 2:35:12 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I've yet to found a relatively coherent description of Jeffersonian democracy, and am interested to see how anyone else would define its character and its principles.

My question essentially is--what is Jeffersonian Democracy (especially when compared to its follow-up/successor, the Jacksonian system/framework) and what critique of it can you offer?

I'd ask since I'd like to view the Jeffersonian era in context of such an ideological/political framework. :)
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2012 6:03:31 AM
From my cursory knowledge, it does appear that Jeffersonian Democracy, let alone the Republican viewpoint, seems to marginalize the central government's role to permit some flexibility in exercising civil and political rights (note the opposition to the federal government) while, in adherence--and if we analyze from the viewpoint of--Jefferson's own political views, amidst the emphasis on cultural simplicity reflecting the rural character of much of the land (which translated, in particular, his distaste for affected decorum), universal education, etc.

Of course, that would seem to be the virtual end, though my inquiry is at least focused on how you would certainly define it. (Note that I have not mentioned, for example, how Jefferson believed that the farmer was a powerful and autonomous political figure, able to operate politically without due interference of the mob pressures and local sympathies found in the cities or local workshops, or his other views defining the government that was certainly influenced by the Enlightenment (Locke). [And that is to ignore other beliefs in regards to rationalism that shaped his perception of public education, and so forth.]

The general point is, and excuse my relatively pedantic surmise there, lol, that the overarching framework. So much can be said of a system as a response to the mandated act of condensing, in the form of a single definition, the underlying essence; I have not, as one can clearly see, condensed, let alone identify the underlying impulse that drives such a view to full fruition, though I have perhaps hinted of such (uninhibited popular virtue and exercise of due civil rights?). Perhaps, in regards and in reference to your knowledge of "Jeffersoniasm," what would be the essence of his views, and in particular, what is your critique of the system overall considering your political ideologies and likings?

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2012 6:03:52 AM
And sorry if I sound relatively....pretentious and affected.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2012 6:08:56 AM
And to admit, I still wish to seek at least further commentary in regards to Jeffersonian (and Jacksonian) democracy.

Anyone willing to lend some, and a definition of its essence, is welcomed. :D

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2012 1:14:50 PM
Well, where are our history loves, for God's sake???

Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2012 4:28:52 PM
At 11/1/2012 1:14:50 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
Well, where are our history loves, for God's sake???

I know... try asking a metahistory question.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 11:38:08 PM
At 11/1/2012 1:14:50 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
Well, where are our history lovers, for God's sake???

Fixed.