Jump to topic:

Metahistory

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2012 11:31:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I have heard of a brief discussion on "metahistory," and may be concerned with more or less the microscopic particulars of history--scenarios, surveys of time periods, characterizations, etc than to discuss a general framework that seems to be included in such an overview.

Anyone care for a general introduction, as well as an ennumeration of the schools of historical thought that comprise "metahistory"?
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2012 11:58:54 PM
If I am to understand metahistory as essentially historical theory and the interpretation of history, then I would like to see this introduction you've offered up. I've read quite a bit of the Houses of History, but not finished it quite yet.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2012 11:59:57 PM
At 11/3/2012 11:58:54 PM, Logic_on_rails wrote:
If I am to understand metahistory as essentially historical theory and the interpretation of history, then I would like to see this introduction you've offered up. I've read quite a bit of the Houses of History, but not finished it quite yet.

Houses of History?
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 12:03:25 AM
At 11/3/2012 11:59:57 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Houses of History?

The only history and theory textbook to include accessible extracts from a wide range of historical writing. Provides a comprehensive introduction to the theorists who have most inflenced twentieth-century historians...

That ought to clear things up. The name, so far as I can tell, is figurative. A 'House' is merely a school of thought.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
malinga12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2012 3:29:03 AM
At 11/3/2012 11:31:40 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
I have heard of a brief discussion on "metahistory," and may be concerned with more or less the microscopic particulars of history--scenarios, surveys of time periods, characterizations, etc than to discuss a general framework that seems to be included in such an overview.

Anyone care for a general introduction, as well as an ennumeration of the schools of historical thought that comprise "metahistory"?