Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

Titanic Vs Lusitania

TheAntidoter
Posts: 4,323
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 10:29:17 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Would you say that the sinking of the titanic was more tragic then the sinking of the Lusitania?

To read on the sinking of the Lustiana:
http://history1900s.about.com...

I personally think that the sinking of the Lusitania was more tragic.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 10:33:53 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
In terms of consequence, the Lusitania sinking helped fuel anti-German sentiment in the U.S. and (slightly) helped propel the U.S. into WW1. The sinking of the Titanic on the other hand resulted in that dreadful movie. So 50-50 in terms of which was more tragic.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
1Historygenius
Posts: 1,639
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2012 10:12:14 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Both have terrible stories to them. I think the Titanic's is more tragic.

Titanic was built in the Gilded Age, a time when there was major human progress and everyone thought life was going to get better. Titanic could very well be a symbol of 1912 society. In addition, the fact that many in the media considered it "unsinkable" had a heavy effect on the ship's story. It was survival of the fittest as she went down without enough lifeboats. All the lives lost.

As for the Lusitania, she had enough lifeboats, but there was still a great loss of life. I think the tragic thing was that the passenger liner was a casualty of war. All those innocent people lost to something they were not responsible for.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2012 10:27:44 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/1/2012 10:12:14 AM, 1Historygenius wrote:

As for the Lusitania, she had enough lifeboats, but there was still a great loss of life. I think the tragic thing was that the passenger liner was a casualty of war. All those innocent people lost to something they were not responsible for.

The Lusitania was carrying war munitions, making it a legit target.
http://www.archaeology.org...
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
1Historygenius
Posts: 1,639
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2012 10:29:15 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/1/2012 10:27:44 AM, socialpinko wrote:
At 12/1/2012 10:12:14 AM, 1Historygenius wrote:

As for the Lusitania, she had enough lifeboats, but there was still a great loss of life. I think the tragic thing was that the passenger liner was a casualty of war. All those innocent people lost to something they were not responsible for.

The Lusitania was carrying war munitions, making it a legit target.
http://www.archaeology.org...

Exactly, a casualty of war. Although, did you know the Lusitania was a naval auxilary as well? So it may have been a fair target anyway.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2012 10:35:27 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Ya the lusitania was running guns for the allies and using civilian human shields. The Germans even took out newspaper adds telling people not to get on the ship because it would be sunk. Pretty bad that the Germans were trying to avoid civilian casualties while our govt was using human shields.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2012 2:54:59 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/29/2012 10:33:53 AM, socialpinko wrote:
In terms of consequence, the Lusitania sinking helped fuel anti-German sentiment in the U.S. and (slightly) helped propel the U.S. into WW1. The sinking of the Titanic on the other hand resulted in that dreadful movie. So 50-50 in terms of which was more tragic.

Paint me, will ya?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
1Historygenius
Posts: 1,639
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 4:28:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/1/2012 10:35:27 AM, lewis20 wrote:
Ya the lusitania was running guns for the allies and using civilian human shields. The Germans even took out newspaper adds telling people not to get on the ship because it would be sunk. Pretty bad that the Germans were trying to avoid civilian casualties while our govt was using human shields.

Weren't the newspaper ads sent out on the day the Lusitania left?
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Posts: 21,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 4:31:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I say the titanic was more tragic because it led to the creation of a 4 hour movie that plagues entire generations now
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
1Historygenius
Posts: 1,639
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 4:35:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/4/2012 4:31:06 PM, imabench wrote:
I say the titanic was more tragic because it led to the creation of a 4 hour movie that plagues entire generations now

That is indeed true, but remember that other Titanic movies came out as well that are far better thann the James Cameron one. A Night to Remember is probably the most famous. Another was in 1952. The Nazis made their own version in 1943.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 12:18:26 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/4/2012 4:31:06 PM, imabench wrote:
I say the titanic was more tragic because it led to the creation of a 4 hour movie that plagues entire generations now

Can I get an amen?!
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
thedebatekid
Posts: 1,211
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2012 9:57:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
My reply to the question:

Was the titanic or the lusitania diaster more tragic? Which one had the most impact?

I say... yes
How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of the tootsie pop? 1, 2, 3, *crunch* SON OF A !@#%!@#$!@$%$^^$$#%!!!

Expanse: Trapped in Reality
- Looking for Criticism
http://www.debate.org...
thedebatekid
Posts: 1,211
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2012 9:58:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/5/2012 12:18:26 AM, OberHerr wrote:
At 12/4/2012 4:31:06 PM, imabench wrote:
I say the titanic was more tragic because it led to the creation of a 4 hour movie that plagues entire generations now

Can I get an amen?!

And YES, AMEN BROTHER
How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of the tootsie pop? 1, 2, 3, *crunch* SON OF A !@#%!@#$!@$%$^^$$#%!!!

Expanse: Trapped in Reality
- Looking for Criticism
http://www.debate.org...
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 5:39:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/4/2012 4:28:07 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
At 12/1/2012 10:35:27 AM, lewis20 wrote:
Ya the lusitania was running guns for the allies and using civilian human shields. The Germans even took out newspaper adds telling people not to get on the ship because it would be sunk. Pretty bad that the Germans were trying to avoid civilian casualties while our govt was using human shields.

Weren't the newspaper ads sent out on the day the Lusitania left?

The Imperial German Embassy placed a warning advertisement in 50 American newspapers, including those in New York on the 22nd April 1915
This warning was printed adjacent to an advertisement for Lusitania's return voyage
Lusitania departed Pier 54 in New York on 1 May 1915

Ad ran a full week ahead of departure.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Imhellspawn2
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2014 2:56:19 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/29/2012 10:33:53 AM, socialpinko wrote:
In terms of consequence, the Lusitania sinking helped fuel anti-German sentiment in the U.S. and (slightly) helped propel the U.S. into WW1. The sinking of the Titanic on the other hand resulted in that dreadful movie. So 50-50 in terms of which was more tragic.

Titanic was not dreadful!
imhellspawn2