Jump to topic:

Context

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 6:53:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'll pose a few questions-would a historical context affect the ultimate significance and meaning of an event, belief or value system? Does the significance, let alone meaning, of an event, belief or value system, and so forth stand divorced from its overall historical context?
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 7:05:56 PM
I hope I will not steer myself into an impenetrable reticence as the fruit of my forays, good sirs and gentlemen. ;)

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 7:51:12 PM
At 11/29/2012 7:05:56 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
I hope I will not steer myself into an impenetrable reticence as the fruit of my forays, good sirs and gentlemen. ;)

Redundancy: you're doing it right.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 8:22:24 PM
At 11/29/2012 7:51:12 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 11/29/2012 7:05:56 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Redundancy: you're doing it right.

And intentionally. :)

pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 9:16:08 PM
At 11/29/2012 6:53:07 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
I'll pose a few questions-would a historical context affect the ultimate significance and meaning of an event, belief or value system?

A documented history of peoples philosophies were needed to help guide society through trifles and tyrannies that were not yet understood. Through these writings society could learn another perspective and build upon them in order to learn a new way to cope or adapt to their obligated surroundings.

Does the significance, let alone meaning, of an event, belief or value system, and so forth stand divorced from its overall historical context?

Through the teachings of our ancestors we have learned to overcome almost all obstacles.
The only obstacle we have left that I can foresee is our own arrogance and ignorance, and we wont learn how to overcome these boundaries through historical records because what we have to learn hasn't been written yet.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 9:22:44 PM
I'll pose a few questions-would a historical context affect the ultimate significance and meaning of an event, belief or value system?

Absolutely.

Does the significance, let alone meaning, of an event, belief or value system, and so forth stand divorced from its overall historical context?

No. What prompted you to ask these questions? I can't think of a reason this would not be true.
yang.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 9:31:14 PM
At 11/29/2012 9:22:44 PM, tulle wrote:

Absolutely.

No. What prompted you to ask these questions? I can't think of a reason this would not be true.

Eh, a sudden thought.