Jump to topic:

Greek Fire

R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2012 11:00:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
What a fascinating subject. http://en.wikipedia.org...

Greek fire was created, mysteriously, at a very opportune time in human history. I had always assumed we found out what it was eventually, but no chemist can reproduce it.

I just watched a documentary claiming Greek Fire was introduced by extraterrestrials, which is of course completely unsubstantiated, however there is definitely some interesting aspects to look at here. First, the Renaissance, possibly the most significant period in human history, was only possible because Greek Fire mysteriously showed up to save the people holding on to the literature and other documents which eventually spilled out into Europe, after the invention of the cannon breached the walls of Constantinople.

It is therefore very curious indeed that this mysterious technology shows up on the scene (according to legend its creation is divine in origin), and then is lost forever, beyond the reaches even of 21st century science. Enemies who captured the substance and its launching devices "could make little use of them..."

I'm not ready to cry ALIENS but something is very peculiar about this...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2012 4:47:50 AM
That's certainly interesting. Aliens explain everything.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2012 12:20:05 AM
At 12/12/2012 4:47:50 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
That's certainly interesting. Aliens explain everything.

http://i1136.photobucket.com...
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2012 1:30:51 AM
I don't understand. From what I can tell, it was a device that shot flaming tar at the enemy (not that complicated) but they shot it quite far and no one could reproduce it (or ever did). While aliens seems a bit extreme, there was a secret to Greek Fire.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2012 11:06:23 AM
At 12/31/2012 1:30:51 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I don't understand. From what I can tell, it was a device that shot flaming tar at the enemy (not that complicated) but they shot it quite far and no one could reproduce it (or ever did). While aliens seems a bit extreme, there was a secret to Greek Fire.

what made Greek fire so threatening, was that when people tried to put it out with water, the flames got bigger.

Water (H2O) is simply a mixture of hydrogen (H2) and oxygen particles (O). Hydrogen is highly flammable, although hydrogen compounds tend not to be flammable. Oxygen is also highly flammable.

Greek fire simply needs to produce a chemical reaction known as "water splitting".
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2012 6:48:09 PM
At 12/31/2012 11:06:23 AM, DanT wrote:

what made Greek fire so threatening, was that when people tried to put it out with water, the flames got bigger.

Water (H2O) is simply a mixture of hydrogen (H2) and oxygen particles (O). Hydrogen is highly flammable, although hydrogen compounds tend not to be flammable. Oxygen is also highly flammable.

Greek fire simply needs to produce a chemical reaction known as "water splitting".

Could the Byzantines do that?
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2013 1:34:18 AM
At 12/31/2012 6:48:09 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 12/31/2012 11:06:23 AM, DanT wrote:

Could the Byzantines do that?

Evidently. And also, this was back in the day when everyone, especially sailors, were superstitious as hell. So, that added to the fear of it heavily. They probably thought it was some sort of demon.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
OllerupMand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2013 1:46:42 AM
To get water splitting you just need high enough temperatures, but honestly water splitting isn't needed.

If you try to put out an oil fire with water the effect will also be pretty extreme:
Polaris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2013 6:35:58 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/11/2012 11:00:32 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

Greek fire was created, mysteriously, at a very opportune time in human history. I had always assumed we found out what it was eventually, but no chemist can reproduce it.

I just watched a documentary claiming Greek Fire was introduced by extraterrestrials, which is of course completely unsubstantiated, however there is definitely some interesting aspects to look at here. First, the Renaissance, possibly the most significant period in human history, was only possible because Greek Fire mysteriously showed up to save the people holding on to the literature and other documents which eventually spilled out into Europe, after the invention of the cannon breached the walls of Constantinople.

It is therefore very curious indeed that this mysterious technology shows up on the scene (according to legend its creation is divine in origin), and then is lost forever, beyond the reaches even of 21st century science. Enemies who captured the substance and its launching devices "could make little use of them..."

Greek Fire was essentially the ancient precursor to napalm, we don't know the exact chemical composition, since there are no surviving quantities, and no records that list it's ingredients.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2013 1:16:47 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/8/2013 6:35:58 PM, Polaris wrote:
At 12/11/2012 11:00:32 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

Greek Fire was essentially the ancient precursor to napalm, we don't know the exact chemical composition, since there are no surviving quantities, and no records that list it's ingredients.

Plus a lot of it could have been exaggerated.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-