Jump to topic:

where does antisemitism come from?

1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2012 4:45:49 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
What really drives people like Falconduler, Hitler, Stormfront, KKK, etc.?
What caused; blood liables, pogroms, inquisitions, Holocaust, etc.?

I think of the Jew as like a school geek.
Every one hates him just because he's different, smart & successful, & unconventional.

What other theories are there?

& how do the Jews survive it all?
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
falconduler
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2012 4:49:18 PM
At 12/31/2012 4:45:49 PM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:

Every one hates him just because he's different, smart & successful, & unconventional.

They LIE. they lie the same way eskimos have wear warm clothing in the winter time. ;in order to survive.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2012 5:20:59 PM
Well, there's two questions you could be asking:

Why did anti-semitism arise and how has it been maintained/evolved historically?

Why would people of the current and previous generation be antisemitic?

The answers are connected by not identical. For instance, if you watched Borat, you'll notice one thing Sacha makes fun of is the idea of jews as "devils" or shape shifters (into cockroaches).

This was an actual stereotype of Jews in previous centuries. They have been depicted as having horns.

But most people today will talk about "rich jews" and "greedy jews" which originates from how monarches used to bypass the Catholic churches anti-usury laws by having Jews collect their tax money. This lead to banking, merchant, and intellectual (rabbi/lawyer/doctor) being some of the only jobs available since Jews could not own land.

I highly doubt that today's antisemites are pissed at Jews for being tax collectors several centuries ago. But they ARE antisemits about how greedy jews now control every industry they were forced into (i.e. banking/merchant) hundreds of years ago.

When it comes to individuals, however, antisemitism is usually more explainable in psychological terms. The environment one is raised in along with their feeling of self worth play into prejudiced tendencies, anti-jew or otherwise.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2013 12:40:51 PM
At 12/31/2012 5:20:59 PM, Wnope wrote:
Well, there's two questions you could be asking:

Why did anti-semitism arise and how has it been maintained/evolved historically?

Why would people of the current and previous generation be antisemitic?

The answers are connected by not identical. For instance, if you watched Borat, you'll notice one thing Sacha makes fun of is the idea of jews as "devils" or shape shifters (into cockroaches).

This was an actual stereotype of Jews in previous centuries. They have been depicted as having horns.

But most people today will talk about "rich jews" and "greedy jews" which originates from how monarches used to bypass the Catholic churches anti-usury laws by having Jews collect their tax money. This lead to banking, merchant, and intellectual (rabbi/lawyer/doctor) being some of the only jobs available since Jews could not own land.

I highly doubt that today's antisemites are pissed at Jews for being tax collectors several centuries ago. But they ARE antisemits about how greedy jews now control every industry they were forced into (i.e. banking/merchant) hundreds of years ago.

When it comes to individuals, however, antisemitism is usually more explainable in psychological terms. The environment one is raised in along with their feeling of self worth play into prejudiced tendencies, anti-jew or otherwise.

Yeah, I think the current sh*tstorm over Israel is a reminder that anti-Semitism is far from dead. I've heard some truly incredible things from people on this website, even.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2013 4:30:02 PM

Hitler's best friend was a Jew when he was younger, and he was originally pro Jew. He than began reading anti-Semitic propaganda, and it gave him a scapegoat to blame his failures on. He flunked out of art school, and he fought in WWI. So he blamed the defeat in WWI, and his failed art career on the Jews.

They have been a popular scape goat since the Romans blamed them for Jesus's crucifixion. The Romans were responsible for Jesus's crucifixion, but when the empire adopted Christianity as the state religion, they had to find another group to demonize. Jesus was anti-roman, and as a Result was crucified by the Romans; when the Romans adopted the religion, they started demonizing the Jews who 30 years after the crucifixion revolted against the empire.

During the Plague the flagellants continued the antisemitic sentiments, that continued in the Christian population, despite the Church adopting a pro-Jewish stance. The flagellants claimed Rabbis were poisoning wells.

Tradition!
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2013 7:17:52 PM
At 12/31/2012 4:49:18 PM, falconduler wrote:

They LIE. they lie the same way eskimos have wear warm clothing in the winter time. ;in order to survive.

You dumba**, EVERYONE lies
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 1:56:43 AM
At 1/1/2013 12:40:51 PM, MouthWash wrote:

Yeah, I think the current sh*tstorm over Israel is a reminder that anti-Semitism is far from dead. I've heard some truly incredible things from people on this website, even.

Blaming the Israel issue on anti-semitism is way over-simplying it imo. Sure, some stuff is rooted in anti-semitism(I have gotten pretty pissed off at anti-semitic anti-israel people myself) but it's definitely not all. Hell, if it was I really doubt anti-israel Jews would even exist.

To me, zionism is just another form of nationalism and I view all forms of nationalism as harmful.
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 2:11:55 AM
At 1/2/2013 1:56:43 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Blaming the Israel issue on anti-semitism is way over-simplying it imo. Sure, some stuff is rooted in anti-semitism(I have gotten pretty pissed off at anti-semitic anti-israel people myself) but it's definitely not all. Hell, if it was I really doubt anti-israel Jews would even exist.

There are anti-semitic jews. weird as that sounds.
To me, zionism is just another form of nationalism and I view all forms of nationalism as harmful.
Einstein was also against nationalism.
But I doubt a nation could survive without nationalism.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 2:17:18 AM
At 1/2/2013 2:11:55 AM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:

Judging by your name I'm guessing you're just playing Devil's Advocacy here...
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 2:18:19 AM

http://frontpagemag.com...
http://en.wikipedia.org...
"Albert Einstein

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 2:19:20 AM
Anti-Semitism comes from co-intel pro operatives trying to spread disinformation and blame "Jews" for everything and claim they run Hollywood and run the government. Patently absurd and false claims, but are used to discredit the truth movement. In fact, the ADL itself is a major propagator of anti-Semitism.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 2:26:19 AM
The whole Jews killed Jesus, they are the spawn of satan, christ killers, I bet that didn't help.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 2:42:24 AM
There is a difference between criticising the Israeli government or Zionism and being anti-Semitic, even though rightist Jews will tell you otherwise. They even go as far as to describe leftist Jews as "self-hating Jews".

This article illustrates the point: http://www.israelnationalnews.com...

Thus, anti-Semitism is not as common as we are sometimes led to believe.

Certainly in Europe and America there is much more ill-feeling and prejudice shown towards Muslims than Jews.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 4:44:41 AM
At 1/2/2013 2:26:19 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
The whole Jews killed Jesus, they are the spawn of satan, christ killers, I bet that didn't help.

Cause, it's always those damn Christians that hate Jews....OH WAIT.....

Seriously, you may find this hard to believe, but Christianity, or just religion in general, is not the root source for every problem.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 12:31:21 PM
At 1/2/2013 2:17:18 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Judging by your name I'm guessing you're just playing Devil's Advocacy here...

Indeed.
"Albert Einstein

DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 4:41:15 PM
At 1/2/2013 2:42:24 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
There is a difference between criticising the Israeli government or Zionism and being anti-Semitic, even though rightist Jews will tell you otherwise. They even go as far as to describe leftist Jews as "self-hating Jews".

Certainly in Europe and America there is much more ill-feeling and prejudice shown towards Muslims than Jews.

"Zionism" has been used as a slang for "'evil' Jews" by antisemites, in order to use your argument as a defense. For example, falconduler's plagiarized rants from Stormfront. Another example is the black guy at occupy wall street who claimed "zionist bankers control wall street". Or conspiracy theorists who claim Rothschild is a "Zionist" overlord, who controls the NWO, and that Zionists are in league with Rothchild. Hell, antisemitism seems to be a staple of conspiracy theories; probably because Jews are the most common scape goat in history. Geo, DDO's resident conspiracy nut, went so far as to claim "antisemitism doesn't exist".
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 4:49:41 PM
They killed Jesus, 'nuff said. How would you like it if I killed your Lord and Savior?

JK, I think Wnope pretty much has it right.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 6:15:22 PM
At 12/31/2012 4:49:18 PM, falconduler wrote:

They LIE. they lie
No-one was asking you. You are the DDO history forum's resident anti-Semite.

the same way eskimos have wear warm clothing in the winter time. ;in order to survive.

If you are going to make racist jokes about Eskimos, you may want to use proper grammar.
Ritter94
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2013 11:53:53 PM
Hmm, kind of an interesting topic when you look deeper. I'm not sure why, but it always seems that the "Jews" have been scapegoats for societies around the world. The most recent one of course being the anti-semetic acts committed during WW2 (Kristelnacht, Holocaust, etc.). One of the least known however, was from 1298-1350 where many "Jews" were blamed for the Black Plague, albeit occurring once again in Germany. While it does not necessarily always boil down to Religion, the Black Plague occurrences were most likely related by not only religious divisions, but the stereotypes formed by the society of the time period.
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2013 3:05:12 PM

Where do people get these ideas from.
This opinion is Dead Wrong by a lot:

According to the FBI JEWS are over 5x MORE LIKELY TO BE VICTIMS OF A HATE-CRIME THAN MUSLIMS:

Religious bias:
Of the 1,480 victims of an anti-religious hate crime:

63.2 percent were victims of an offender"s anti-Jewish bias.
12.5 percent were victims of an anti-Islamic bias.
5.7 percent were victims of an anti-Catholic bias.
4.4 percent were victims of a bias against groups of individuals of varying religions (anti-multiple religions, group).
3.4 percent were victims of an anti-Protestant bias.
0.3 percent were victims of an anti-Atheist/Agnostic bias.
10.5 percent were victims of a bias against other religions (anti-other religion).(1)

Based on some of your debates & posts you seem to have anti-Semitic leanings yourself. The most recent one was, Calling a group of 20 unarmed Jewish volunteers who patrol their neighborhood, & alert cops, "A Jewish militia".

Most anti-Semites don't think they are anti-Semitic. In their enviornment/upbringing it's concidered the norm. So they only concider those who are even more anti-semitic, to be real anti-semites.
Even Falconduler has said numerous times that he's not an anti-semit.

(1) http://www.fbi.gov...
"Albert Einstein

1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2013 9:09:53 AM
If you believe in it you must be very depressed.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
Franz_Reynard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2013 9:34:49 AM

Because white supremacism is just as much religious as it is racial.
TheElderScroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2013 10:13:15 PM
At 1/6/2013 3:05:12 PM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:

According to the FBI JEWS are over 5x MORE LIKELY TO BE VICTIMS OF A HATE-CRIME THAN MUSLIMS:

Religious bias:

4.4 percent were victims of a bias against groups of individuals of varying religions (anti-multiple religions, group).
10.5 percent were victims of a bias against other religions (anti-other religion).(1)

Based on some of your debates & posts you seem to have anti-Semitic leanings yourself. The most recent one was, Calling a group of 20 unarmed Jewish volunteers who patrol their neighborhood, & alert cops, "A Jewish militia".

Most anti-Semites don't think they are anti-Semitic. In their enviornment/upbringing it's concidered the norm. So they only concider those who are even more anti-semitic, to be real anti-semites.

The numbers are misleading since there are more Jews than Muslims living in the U.S.

I guess the anti-Semitism has everything to do with religions.
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2013 3:40:19 PM
At 1/12/2013 10:13:15 PM, TheElderScroll wrote:
At 1/6/2013 3:05:12 PM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:

Religious bias:

The numbers are misleading since there are more Jews than Muslims living in the U.S.

I guess the anti-Semitism has everything to do with religions.

It has to do with both religion & race.

Even if there are more Jews than Muslims in the U.S. there aren't 5x as many.

But interestingly enough there aren't more Jews than Muslims in the U.S.

I won't simply say this without backing it up (ahem).

5 million to 8 million Muslims - http://www.islam101.com...

This comes as a shock to some people but there are only around 5 million Jews in the U.S. - http://en.wikipedia.org...

Even if the #'s aren't 100% accurate. It's unfair to say there are more Jews than Muslims in the U.S.

1 last point:

Notice the difference in the words:

ANTI - semitism vs. Islamo - PHOBIA .

I'm not saying it's right, but, Islamophobia comes from fear.
& they have statistics to back them up:

http://en.wikipedia.org... :

Muslim inmates comprise 17-20% of the prison population, or roughly 350,000 inmates in 2003. He also claims that 80% of the prisoners who "find faith" while in prison convert to Islam.[86] These converted inmates are mostly African American, with a small but growing Hispanic minority. Waller also asserts that many converts are radicalized by outside Islamist groups linked to terrorism, but other experts suggest that when radicalization does occur it has little to no connection with these outside interests.[87][88][89]

This obviously does not mean that all Muslims are criminals, but it does partially explain the fear.

In reality most of the fear probably comes from people associating Islam with terrorism & violence.
"Albert Einstein

tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2013 1:52:02 PM
Jews make for easy targets. Also, it's easier to have a scapegoat in order to justify all sorts of "bad" behavior.

Same as above along with jealousy, envy, and xenophobia.

That's kind of a racist stereotype.

I think I can with these reasons for antisemitism without having to agree with the stereotype.

See above.

Perseverance and being God's chosen people helps.
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2013 3:30:18 PM
At 1/2/2013 4:44:41 AM, OberHerr wrote:
At 1/2/2013 2:26:19 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Cause, it's always those damn Christians that hate Jews....OH WAIT.....

Actually, historically, it was European Christians who oppressed Jews. There are plenty elements of the evangelical population who despise Jews even today.
Seriously, you may find this hard to believe, but Christianity, or just religion in general, is not the root source for every problem.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2013 4:29:39 PM

As an anti-Semite yourself, I can tell you that there are certain differences between anti-Semitism and criticism of Israel and that there are ways to find out which is which.

"Criticizing Israel is not anti-Semitic, and saying so is vile. But singling out Israel for opprobrium and international sanction - - out of all proportion to any other party in the Middle East - - is anti-Semitic, and not saying so is dishonest." -Thomas Friedman

The same goes for making out a Jewish volunteer neighborhood watch to be a Jewish "private militia," or linking criticism of Israel to Jewish beliefs and practices.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2013 5:22:21 PM
At 1/14/2013 1:52:02 PM, tBoonePickens wrote:
Jews make for easy targets. Also, it's easier to have a scapegoat in order to justify all sorts of "bad" behavior.

Same as above along with jealousy, envy, and xenophobia.

That's kind of a racist stereotype.

I happen to think being a geek is a good thing.
I think I can with these reasons for antisemitism without having to agree with the stereotype.

Which part of the stereotype do you disagree with?
"Albert Einstein