Total Posts:15|Showing Posts:1-15
Jump to topic:

An American professor defends Stalin

kowalskil
Posts: 68
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 4:19:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The message below has been posted at our university forum. The author once accused me of spreading cold war propaganda (referring to my two books).

Ludwik Kowalski, author of "Diary of a Former Communist"

http://csam.montclair.edu...

=================================

" March 7 2013

To the Editor:

Istvan Deak"s review "Could Stalin Have Been Stopped?" (NYRB March 13 2013 - http://www.nybooks.c...) is filled with statements about Soviet history that are factually false. Here is a partial list:

* There was no "intentional killing by starvation of millions of Ukrainians" by Stalin. Every Western expert rejects the "Holodomor" myth, which originated with pro-Nazi Ukrainian nationalists in the 1950s.

* Stalin did not "shoot hundreds of thousands of imaginary political enemies in the later 1930s." NKVD chief Nikolai Ezhov did so, as a part of his conspiracy against the Soviet government. In 1939-40 he and over a hundred of his top NKVD men were tried and executed for these horrific crimes.

* Stalin did not "attempt" to "eliminate much of the Polish leadership". It was the Nazis who did so, in their "AB-Aktion."

* There exists an important dispute over who shot the Poles in the murders known as the Katyn Massacre and good evidence that the Soviets shot some Polish POWs and the Germans later shot the rest.

* Stalin was not a "dictator." He worked collaboratively with other Politburo members and was sometimes defeated. Stephen G. Wheatcroft has termed Stalin"s prewar method of rule "Team Stalin."

* There were no "combined Nazi and Soviet invasions." The Red Army did not "invade Poland" on September 17 1939. Abandoned by its government the Soviets had to prevent the German army from marching up to the existing Soviet border, something no country would have permitted. Winston Churchill said that the Soviets were right to do so.

* Though armed and equipped by the Soviet Union in 1941-42 the "anti-Nazi army formed by General Władysław Anders" refused to fight the Nazis until 1944.

* The Polish Home Army", riddled with anti-Semitism, shot Jews escaping from the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising of 1943 and collaborated with the German army against the Red Army.

* American and British pilots were not "routinely denied landing rights" when "trying to help the Home Army." They were denied such rights for a few weeks in August-September 1944 because, like General Władysław Anders, Stalin considered the Warsaw Uprising to be a crime against the Polish people.

* There is no evidence that the Soviets "massacred thousands of innocent" Poles.

A Hungarian, Deak fails to mention that Hungary invaded the Soviet Union side by side with Nazi Germany, and Hungarian forces murdered at least hundreds of thousands of innocent Soviet citizens, including many Jews.

Grover Furr, Montclair State University "
Ludwik Kowalski, author of "Diary of a Former Communist: Thoughts, Feelings, Reality." <http://csam.montclair.edu...

http://csam.montclair.edu...

It is a testimony based on a diary kept between 1946 and 2004 (in the USSR, Poland, France and the USA).

The more people know about proletarian dictatorship the less likely will we experience is. Please share the link with those who might be interested, especially with youn
logicrules
Posts: 1,721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 5:05:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/8/2013 4:19:35 PM, kowalskil wrote:
The message below has been posted at our university forum. The author once accused me of spreading cold war propaganda (referring to my two books).

Ludwik Kowalski, author of "Diary of a Former Communist"

http://csam.montclair.edu...

=================================

" March 7 2013

To the Editor:

Istvan Deak"s review "Could Stalin Have Been Stopped?" (NYRB March 13 2013 - http://www.nybooks.c...) is filled with statements about Soviet history that are factually false. Here is a partial list:

* There was no "intentional killing by starvation of millions of Ukrainians" by Stalin. Every Western expert rejects the "Holodomor" myth, which originated with pro-Nazi Ukrainian nationalists in the 1950s.

* Stalin did not "shoot hundreds of thousands of imaginary political enemies in the later 1930s." NKVD chief Nikolai Ezhov did so, as a part of his conspiracy against the Soviet government. In 1939-40 he and over a hundred of his top NKVD men were tried and executed for these horrific crimes.

* Stalin did not "attempt" to "eliminate much of the Polish leadership". It was the Nazis who did so, in their "AB-Aktion."

* There exists an important dispute over who shot the Poles in the murders known as the Katyn Massacre and good evidence that the Soviets shot some Polish POWs and the Germans later shot the rest.

* Stalin was not a "dictator." He worked collaboratively with other Politburo members and was sometimes defeated. Stephen G. Wheatcroft has termed Stalin"s prewar method of rule "Team Stalin."

* There were no "combined Nazi and Soviet invasions." The Red Army did not "invade Poland" on September 17 1939. Abandoned by its government the Soviets had to prevent the German army from marching up to the existing Soviet border, something no country would have permitted. Winston Churchill said that the Soviets were right to do so.

* Though armed and equipped by the Soviet Union in 1941-42 the "anti-Nazi army formed by General W&#322;adys&#322;aw Anders" refused to fight the Nazis until 1944.

* The Polish Home Army", riddled with anti-Semitism, shot Jews escaping from the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising of 1943 and collaborated with the German army against the Red Army.

* American and British pilots were not "routinely denied landing rights" when "trying to help the Home Army." They were denied such rights for a few weeks in August-September 1944 because, like General W&#322;adys&#322;aw Anders, Stalin considered the Warsaw Uprising to be a crime against the Polish people.

* There is no evidence that the Soviets "massacred thousands of innocent" Poles.

A Hungarian, Deak fails to mention that Hungary invaded the Soviet Union side by side with Nazi Germany, and Hungarian forces murdered at least hundreds of thousands of innocent Soviet citizens, including many Jews.

Grover Furr, Montclair State University "

What is your point?
sadolite
Posts: 8,836
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2013 7:02:03 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
"An American professor defends Stalin"

Ya, so, This is news? A large number of colloge Professors are self ascribed communists and marxists.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
1Devilsadvocate
Posts: 1,518
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2013 8:52:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Are you really Ludwik Kowalski, as in the nuclear physics professor?
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
1Devilsadvocate
Posts: 1,518
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2013 8:59:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/9/2013 7:02:03 PM, sadolite wrote:
"An American professor defends Stalin"

Ya, so, This is news? A large number of colloge Professors are self ascribed communists and marxists.

That is not nearly the same as defending Stalin.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
sadolite
Posts: 8,836
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 7:55:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/9/2013 8:59:02 PM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
At 3/9/2013 7:02:03 PM, sadolite wrote:
"An American professor defends Stalin"

Ya, so, This is news? A large number of colloge Professors are self ascribed communists and marxists.

That is not nearly the same as defending Stalin.

Ya, it's totally different. They only support ideals that create monsters like Stalin.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 1:31:09 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'm certainly no fan of Joseph Stalin; however, questions about the former Soviet Union such as how it morally stacked up against the West, or the authenticity of its form of socialism are more complicated than its rightist detractors care to concede. Here's a different perspective, https://debate.org...
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 1:51:33 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/12/2013 7:55:39 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 3/9/2013 8:59:02 PM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
At 3/9/2013 7:02:03 PM, sadolite wrote:
"An American professor defends Stalin"

Ya, so, This is news? A large number of colloge Professors are self ascribed communists and marxists.

That is not nearly the same as defending Stalin.

Ya, it's totally different. They only support ideals that create monsters like Stalin.

Hmm, so thinking along these lines would we also have to say that devout Christians, merely by being adherents of the same faith, support the ideals that create monsters like Torquemada and therefore deserve to be tarred with the same brush? Well, this amounts to saying that Albert Schweitzer belongs on the same continuum of contemptibility as Cotton Mather. Most people probably recognize how absurdly unfair this is in the case of saintly Christians; however, when it comes to communists it's taken for granted that we all deserve to be lumped together with the lousy likes of Khrushchev and Ceausescu. This double standard kind of betrays a bit of a bias, wouldn't you say? Or perhaps you're too staunchly anti-communist to be able to admit such a thing. At any rate, the double standard and bias are quite glaring and can't really be defended without resorting to sophistry. Conservatives really need to recognize this and to stop resorting to intellectually-dishonest arguments such as "All socialists support Stalinist statism". It's rubbish and undermines your credibility, such as it is.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
sadolite
Posts: 8,836
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 4:17:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/13/2013 1:51:33 AM, charleslb wrote:
At 3/12/2013 7:55:39 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 3/9/2013 8:59:02 PM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
At 3/9/2013 7:02:03 PM, sadolite wrote:
"An American professor defends Stalin"

Ya, so, This is news? A large number of colloge Professors are self ascribed communists and marxists.

That is not nearly the same as defending Stalin.

Ya, it's totally different. They only support ideals that create monsters like Stalin.

Hmm, so thinking along these lines would we also have to say that devout Christians, merely by being adherents of the same faith, support the ideals that create monsters like Torquemada and therefore deserve to be tarred with the same brush? Well, this amounts to saying that Albert Schweitzer belongs on the same continuum of contemptibility as Cotton Mather. Most people probably recognize how absurdly unfair this is in the case of saintly Christians; however, when it comes to communists it's taken for granted that we all deserve to be lumped together with the lousy likes of Khrushchev and Ceausescu. This double standard kind of betrays a bit of a bias, wouldn't you say? Or perhaps you're too staunchly anti-communist to be able to admit such a thing. At any rate, the double standard and bias are quite glaring and can't really be defended without resorting to sophistry. Conservatives really need to recognize this and to stop resorting to intellectually-dishonest arguments such as "All socialists support Stalinist statism". It's rubbish and undermines your credibility, such as it is.

You don't exist. I thaught we pretty much established we have nothing to say to each other.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Posts: 8,836
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 4:27:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/13/2013 4:17:18 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 3/13/2013 1:51:33 AM, charleslb wrote:
At 3/12/2013 7:55:39 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 3/9/2013 8:59:02 PM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
At 3/9/2013 7:02:03 PM, sadolite wrote:
"An American professor defends Stalin"

Ya, so, This is news? A large number of colloge Professors are self ascribed communists and marxists.

That is not nearly the same as defending Stalin.

Ya, it's totally different. They only support ideals that create monsters like Stalin.

Hmm, so thinking along these lines would we also have to say that devout Christians, merely by being adherents of the same faith, support the ideals that create monsters like Torquemada and therefore deserve to be tarred with the same brush? Well, this amounts to saying that Albert Schweitzer belongs on the same continuum of contemptibility as Cotton Mather. Most people probably recognize how absurdly unfair this is in the case of saintly Christians; however, when it comes to communists it's taken for granted that we all deserve to be lumped together with the lousy likes of Khrushchev and Ceausescu. This double standard kind of betrays a bit of a bias, wouldn't you say? Or perhaps you're too staunchly anti-communist to be able to admit such a thing. At any rate, the double standard and bias are quite glaring and can't really be defended without resorting to sophistry. Conservatives really need to recognize this and to stop resorting to intellectually-dishonest arguments such as "All socialists support Stalinist statism". It's rubbish and undermines your credibility, such as it is.

You don't exist. I thaught we pretty much established we have nothing to say to each other.

You will make no further comments about "me" personally. I am fed up with you and your condesension. I will report your posts every time you say anything about "me" personally. It is a violation of DDO rules.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 4:28:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/13/2013 1:51:33 AM, charleslb wrote:
Most people probably recognize how absurdly unfair this is in the case of saintly Christians; however, when it comes to communists it's taken for granted that we all deserve to be lumped together with the lousy likes of Khrushchev and Ceausescu.

Says the guy who, quoting the Great RoThbard!, constantly suggests that all libertarians have secret racist motives for their ideology.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 4:44:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/13/2013 4:27:37 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 3/13/2013 4:17:18 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 3/13/2013 1:51:33 AM, charleslb wrote:
At 3/12/2013 7:55:39 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 3/9/2013 8:59:02 PM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
At 3/9/2013 7:02:03 PM, sadolite wrote:
"An American professor defends Stalin"

Ya, so, This is news? A large number of colloge Professors are self ascribed communists and marxists.

That is not nearly the same as defending Stalin.

Ya, it's totally different. They only support ideals that create monsters like Stalin.

Hmm, so thinking along these lines would we also have to say that devout Christians, merely by being adherents of the same faith, support the ideals that create monsters like Torquemada and therefore deserve to be tarred with the same brush? Well, this amounts to saying that Albert Schweitzer belongs on the same continuum of contemptibility as Cotton Mather. Most people probably recognize how absurdly unfair this is in the case of saintly Christians; however, when it comes to communists it's taken for granted that we all deserve to be lumped together with the lousy likes of Khrushchev and Ceausescu. This double standard kind of betrays a bit of a bias, wouldn't you say? Or perhaps you're too staunchly anti-communist to be able to admit such a thing. At any rate, the double standard and bias are quite glaring and can't really be defended without resorting to sophistry. Conservatives really need to recognize this and to stop resorting to intellectually-dishonest arguments such as "All socialists support Stalinist statism". It's rubbish and undermines your credibility, such as it is.

You don't exist. I thaught we pretty much established we have nothing to say to each other.

You will make no further comments about "me" personally. I am fed up with you and your condesension. I will report your posts every time you say anything about "me" personally. It is a violation of DDO rules.

Okeydokey. Well then, if there's anyone else who wishes to tackle my above argument you're cordially invited to do so.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 4:53:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/13/2013 4:28:25 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 3/13/2013 1:51:33 AM, charleslb wrote:
Most people probably recognize how absurdly unfair this is in the case of saintly Christians; however, when it comes to communists it's taken for granted that we all deserve to be lumped together with the lousy likes of Khrushchev and Ceausescu.

Says the guy who, quoting the Great RoThbard!, constantly suggests that all libertarians have secret racist motives for their ideology.

The preventable occurrence of mere carbuncles on the concept of communism such as Khrushchev and Ceausescu don't define it in the same way that Rothbard has set the fundanmental tone for "libertarianism".
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
1Devilsadvocate
Posts: 1,518
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 12:54:49 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/12/2013 7:55:39 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 3/9/2013 8:59:02 PM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
At 3/9/2013 7:02:03 PM, sadolite wrote:
"An American professor defends Stalin"

Ya, so, This is news? A large number of colloge Professors are self ascribed communists and marxists.

That is not nearly the same as defending Stalin.

Ya, it's totally different. They only support ideals that create monsters like Stalin.

Communism "created" monsters like stalin?
The fact that he was bad doesn't mean that the ideology is bad.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
ConservativeAmerican
Posts: 1,676
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 2:03:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/8/2013 4:19:35 PM, kowalskil wrote:
The message below has been posted at our university forum. The author once accused me of spreading cold war propaganda (referring to my two books).

Ludwik Kowalski, author of "Diary of a Former Communist"

http://csam.montclair.edu...

=================================

" March 7 2013

To the Editor:

Istvan Deak"s review "Could Stalin Have Been Stopped?" (NYRB March 13 2013 - http://www.nybooks.c...) is filled with statements about Soviet history that are factually false. Here is a partial list:

* There was no "intentional killing by starvation of millions of Ukrainians" by Stalin. Every Western expert rejects the "Holodomor" myth, which originated with pro-Nazi Ukrainian nationalists in the 1950s.

This is a blatant lie, the soviets deliberately blocked off foreign aid to the Ukrainians that would have given them vital food need to survive.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

* Stalin did not "shoot hundreds of thousands of imaginary political enemies in the later 1930s." NKVD chief Nikolai Ezhov did so, as a part of his conspiracy against the Soviet government. In 1939-40 he and over a hundred of his top NKVD men were tried and executed for these horrific crimes.

This really gives no proof, I could easily make a thesis about how aliens are going to create the NWO with no articles of factual proof to back it and sound just as smart at this guy.

* Stalin did not "attempt" to "eliminate much of the Polish leadership". It was the Nazis who did so, in their "AB-Aktion."

See above

* There exists an important dispute over who shot the Poles in the murders known as the Katyn Massacre and good evidence that the Soviets shot some Polish POWs and the Germans later shot the rest.

See above

* Stalin was not a "dictator." He worked collaboratively with other Politburo members and was sometimes defeated. Stephen G. Wheatcroft has termed Stalin"s prewar method of rule "Team Stalin."

Seems most disagree with you 'Ludwik' http://en.wikipedia.org...

* There were no "combined Nazi and Soviet invasions." The Red Army did not "invade Poland" on September 17 1939. Abandoned by its government the Soviets had to prevent the German army from marching up to the existing Soviet border, something no country would have permitted. Winston Churchill said that the Soviets were right to do so.

Idiot Luwdik tries to subjectively justify what is still technically an invasion.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

* Though armed and equipped by the Soviet Union in 1941-42 the "anti-Nazi army formed by General W&#322;adys&#322;aw Anders" refused to fight the Nazis until 1944.

k?

* The Polish Home Army", riddled with anti-Semitism, shot Jews escaping from the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising of 1943 and collaborated with the German army against the Red Army.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

* American and British pilots were not "routinely denied landing rights" when "trying to help the Home Army." They were denied such rights for a few weeks in August-September 1944 because, like General W&#322;adys&#322;aw Anders, Stalin considered the Warsaw Uprising to be a crime against the Polish people.

Yes, an uprising to free poland from nazi germany was a major crime.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

* There is no evidence that the Soviets "massacred thousands of innocent" Poles.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

A Hungarian, Deak fails to mention that Hungary invaded the Soviet Union side by side with Nazi Germany, and Hungarian forces murdered at least hundreds of thousands of innocent Soviet citizens, including many Jews.

Yes, the Hungarians should all pay for this even though only a small number of them helped the nazis.

Grover Furr, Montclair State University "

I love this guy.