Jump to topic:

Arthur Zimmerman

1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2013 11:57:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Zimmerman was the German foreign minister in World War 1, but it seems to me that he orchestrated the rest of the world in the 20th Century for two reasons.

The first is the infamous telegram that brought the US int the war forever changing it. After World War 1, it was clear the US was a strong and dominant force that could intervene when it saw fit

The second is his sending of Lenin to Russia. Zimmerman deserves total responsibility for the October Revolution due to this action, so he is also responsible for the Soviet Union.

His actions caused Germany to lose World War 1 and usher in the rise of the Americans and Soviets. Arthur Zimmerman: the most dominant foreign minister of all time.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 9:48:31 AM
Sounds like he was also a failure; ironic.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2013 12:21:15 PM
At 5/4/2013 11:57:55 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
Zimmerman was the German foreign minister in World War 1, but it seems to me that he orchestrated the rest of the world in the 20th Century for two reasons.

The first is the infamous telegram that brought the US int the war forever changing it. After World War 1, it was clear the US was a strong and dominant force that could intervene when it saw fit

The second is his sending of Lenin to Russia. Zimmerman deserves total responsibility for the October Revolution due to this action, so he is also responsible for the Soviet Union.

His actions caused Germany to lose World War 1 and usher in the rise of the Americans and Soviets. Arthur Zimmerman: the most dominant foreign minister of all time.

I think that I could argue against both of these assertions. First the US became a world power under Teddy Roosevelt. Things changed under him and he was hell bent on being a world influence from the Spanish American war to the Panama Canal. Even under Hoover the US played a major role in a Russian Famine Relief. Our entry to the world stage was already cued up.

As for Lenin and the Russian revolution. There were other revolutionary influences that were there, and with the Tzar being so damn intractable, there would have been some sort of overthrow of power. In fact the Trotskyites may have been the eventual leaders, and the path of the Soviet Union may have been far different, far better.
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2013 10:15:42 PM
At 5/10/2013 12:21:15 PM, innomen wrote:

I think that I could argue against both of these assertions. First the US became a world power under Teddy Roosevelt. Things changed under him and he was hell bent on being a world influence from the Spanish American war to the Panama Canal. Even under Hoover the US played a major role in a Russian Famine Relief. Our entry to the world stage was already cued up.

Spain was easy. The US does earn credit for creation of the Panama Canal, but we were not as strong as say the UK or the French at the time. With them suffering after the war, we became the dominant power.

As for Lenin and the Russian revolution. There were other revolutionary influences that were there, and with the Tzar being so damn intractable, there would have been some sort of overthrow of power. In fact the Trotskyites may have been the eventual leaders, and the path of the Soviet Union may have been far different, far better.

But that's the point, Lenin made things different.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2013 11:11:47 AM
At 5/11/2013 10:15:42 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
At 5/10/2013 12:21:15 PM, innomen wrote:

Spain was easy. The US does earn credit for creation of the Panama Canal, but we were not as strong as say the UK or the French at the time. With them suffering after the war, we became the dominant power.

Missing my point. The US really became a world player before WWI, mostly thanks to Teddy, who was hell bent on making the US a world power, so that Zimmerman was less relevant than how you portray him in history.

But that's the point, Lenin made things different.
No, you credit Lenin with the Oct Revolution, and although he played his part, it very well would have happened with or without him. Lenin shaped the aftermath.