Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Graph: History of World Powers

FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2013 2:04:18 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I just thought this was pretty interesting: http://www.davidrumsey.com...

Interesting to see how the world has become more decentralized over time. Although, that leaves out interconnectedness.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
countzander
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 2:16:59 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
The tusks which clashed in mighty brawls of mastodons are billiard balls. The grizzly bear, whose potent hug was feared by all, is now a rug. The sword of Charlemagne the Just is ferric oxide (known as rust). Great Caesar's bust is on the shelf, and I don't feel so well myself.
Homosapien
Posts: 114
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 4:09:38 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/14/2013 2:04:18 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I just thought this was pretty interesting: http://www.davidrumsey.com...

Interesting to see how the world has become more decentralized over time. Although, that leaves out interconnectedness.

Sir I salute you,

One of the best posts I have seen since joining.

Ahh, mighty England in the 1800s, those were the days, blasted world wars & Ghandi always ruining our Empires.

All The Best,
Ben
royalpaladin describing me in all my majestic glory -

"He has a cabal of votebombers behind him."
"I'll be informing airmax about you."
"It reveals that you want to look like you are intelligent, but actually are not."
"Stupid because you didn't warrant or impact your moronic arguments. That's all you will ever be good for."
"You're making stupid assumptions, as usual. "
"You really are an arrogant buffoon, aren't you?"
"You're just coming off as extremely arrogant and condescending."
suttichart.denpruektham
Posts: 1,115
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 6:15:08 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I think the concentration of power is always in the circle. We started off with very decentralized power structure (in stone age or hunter societies, for example, power structure may only consisted of a couple people or family living together).

Then becomes increasingly centralized as the threat manifested, at the peak of centralization, it is likely the peak of power for one civilization (cold war is an example for this period of development). Then when the threat is gone, the trend is reverse back to the decentralized of power to increase flexibility and better administration of the newly gained territory.

When the decentralization has become overdue and the states is weaken to the point of being challenge-able, if they are not destroyed in the process, the centralization will rise again. In the end, it's a simple business cycle...
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 5:46:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/15/2013 4:09:38 AM, Homosapien wrote:

Sir I salute you,

One of the best posts I have seen since joining.

Ahh, mighty England in the 1800s, those were the days, blasted world wars & Ghandi always ruining our Empires.

All The Best,
Ben

Bu..but...all I did was post the link. I'd much rather be saluted for something I put effort into.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 5:48:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/15/2013 2:16:59 AM, countzander wrote:
The tusks which clashed in mighty brawls of mastodons are billiard balls. The grizzly bear, whose potent hug was feared by all, is now a rug. The sword of Charlemagne the Just is ferric oxide (known as rust). Great Caesar's bust is on the shelf, and I don't feel so well myself.

I like Arthur Guiterman.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 5:50:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/15/2013 6:15:08 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:
I think the concentration of power is always in the circle. We started off with very decentralized power structure (in stone age or hunter societies, for example, power structure may only consisted of a couple people or family living together).

Then becomes increasingly centralized as the threat manifested, at the peak of centralization, it is likely the peak of power for one civilization (cold war is an example for this period of development). Then when the threat is gone, the trend is reverse back to the decentralized of power to increase flexibility and better administration of the newly gained territory.

When the decentralization has become overdue and the states is weaken to the point of being challenge-able, if they are not destroyed in the process, the centralization will rise again. In the end, it's a simple business cycle...

A fair observation. I imagine it as a waving bell curve.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
1Devilsadvocate
Posts: 1,518
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2013 5:59:00 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
The Arabs/Islam has had no power for the past 900 years?
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
Shadowguynick
Posts: 516
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 12:46:44 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/16/2013 5:59:00 AM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
The Arabs/Islam has had no power for the past 900 years?

They were a dominant force until the decline of the ottoman empire probably. I know during the dark ages they were an extremely strong culture. They did decline though, and the final blow came in WWI with the destruction of the ottoman empire.