Jump to topic:

What did the Roman people look like?

suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2013 4:07:43 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Just wondering, what do the ancient Roman people look like? Are they white? Did they have a black hair or brown? Tall or shot?

Just curious, Roman Empire is composed of many ethnic groups and tribes so the modern representation of Italian people might not be accurate. They may look like the Greek but then again, modern Greek is more like a Christian Turk than Alexander.

No racism intent, just pure curiosity about physical appearance of an ancient people. Who knows? They may look like Syrian (non-Arab) than a European people.

Note that the Roman I am asking only included:

1. Ancient Italic people, and native inhabitant of Rome if they are any different from the former.

2. The Punic.

The Gaul is easily represent by modern day Celt so I feel no need to discuss, the Germanic is every where in the western world so then again, not really worth discussing.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2013 5:36:04 AM
At 10/7/2013 4:07:43 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:
Just wondering, what do the ancient Roman people look like? Are they white? Did they have a black hair or brown? Tall or shot?

Just curious, Roman Empire is composed of many ethnic groups and tribes so the modern representation of Italian people might not be accurate. They may look like the Greek but then again, modern Greek is more like a Christian Turk than Alexander.

No racism intent, just pure curiosity about physical appearance of an ancient people. Who knows? They may look like Syrian (non-Arab) than a European people.

1. Ancient Italic people, and native inhabitant of Rome if they are any different from the former.

2. The Punic.

The Gaul is easily represent by modern day Celt so I feel no need to discuss, the Germanic is every where in the western world so then again, not really worth discussing.

The people who founded Rome were Trojan exiles who inhabited the Alban Hills, so the Trojans would be Anatolian like the Hittites. Sabine and Etruscans may also have intermingled with the Albans to create the Roman race.

The Romans had an aquiline nose aka a Roman nose, which was prominent amongst the Mediterranean, Middle East, and North Africa. The typical Roman was about 5'6" tall, with an olive skin tone, and brunette hair. The Romans depicted their Gods as blue eyed and blonde haired, because those were rare traits for a Roman to have, thus making them special. Roman woman would also bleach their skin or use cosmetics to lighten their skin-tone.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2013 5:50:01 AM
At 10/7/2013 5:36:04 AM, DanT wrote:

2. The Punic.

The people who founded Rome were Trojan exiles who inhabited the Alban Hills, so the Trojans would be Anatolian like the Hittites. Sabine and Etruscans may also have intermingled with the Albans to create the Roman race.

The Romans had an aquiline nose aka a Roman nose, which was prominent amongst the Mediterranean, Middle East, and North Africa. The typical Roman was about 5'6" tall, with an olive skin tone, and brunette hair. The Romans depicted their Gods as blue eyed and blonde haired, because those were rare traits for a Roman to have, thus making them special. Roman woman would also bleach their skin or use cosmetics to lighten their skin-tone.

err.. olive skin? Is that mean green (most certainly not black)?

anyway, are they some what shorter or less muscular than the Germanic or Gaul? 5-6 feet is pretty tall, I always get an impression (from their statue) that they would be somewhat shorter than the German but taller than the Gaul.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2013 6:12:05 AM

2. The Punic.

Is there any genetic evidence for this, or are you just basing this on mythology (i.e the Aeneid)? I suppose you believe that the two people who founded Rome were raised by wolves?
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2013 12:17:59 AM
At 10/7/2013 6:12:05 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

2. The Punic.

Is there any genetic evidence for this, or are you just basing this on mythology (i.e the Aeneid)? I suppose you believe that the two people who founded Rome were raised by wolves?
Certainly not. There is allot of archeological evidence that points to a factual basis for the Roman myth, just as there was a historical basis for the Trojan war.

DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2013 2:40:27 PM
At 10/7/2013 5:50:01 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:

2. The Punic.

Olive skin-tone is ranged 20"29 on the Fitzpatrick scale, which is type 3 or 4 (type 3 ranges from 17-24, and type 4 ranges from 25-30).
http://blog.evoderma.com...
Olive skin-tone is usually described as "earthy", with greenish gold undertones.

anyway, are they some what shorter or less muscular than the Germanic or Gaul?
People were generally shorter back then.

The stories regarding the founding of Rome varies, but both Roman and Greek historians agree that the Romans were descendants of exiled Trojans. There is archeological evidence that substantiates details regarding the founding of Rome and the Trojan war, but like all legends the foundation myths distorted historical facts in order to make the story more palatable and interesting.

The Romans and Trojans were the same race as the Greeks, but the Trojans were influenced by Hurrian culture, and the Romans were influenced by Etruscan culture. The Trojan's patron god Apollo was actually the Hurrian god Aplu, and the Mycenaean's patron god was Posedion, who was the prime mover at the time of the Trojan war.

The haplogroup J2a (Y-DNA) had a strong presence in the Roman, Greek, and Phonetician (Canaanite) populations, and the spread of J2a through Europe and the Mediterranean has been contributed to the Roman Empire.
http://www.eupedia.com...

5-6 feet is pretty tall, I always get an impression (from their statue) that they would be somewhat shorter than the German but taller than the Gaul.

5'6" is 5 foot 6 inches.
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2013 11:21:49 AM
At 10/9/2013 2:40:27 PM, DanT wrote:

2. The Punic.

Olive skin-tone is ranged 20"29 on the Fitzpatrick scale, which is type 3 or 4 (type 3 ranges from 17-24, and type 4 ranges from 25-30).
Olive skin-tone is usually described as "earthy", with greenish gold undertones.

The stories regarding the founding of Rome varies, but both Roman and Greek historians agree that the Romans were descendants of exiled Trojans. There is archeological evidence that substantiates details regarding the founding of Rome and the Trojan war, but like all legends the foundation myths distorted historical facts in order to make the story more palatable and interesting.

The Romans and Trojans were the same race as the Greeks, but the Trojans were influenced by Hurrian culture, and the Romans were influenced by Etruscan culture. The Trojan's patron god Apollo was actually the Hurrian god Aplu, and the Mycenaean's patron god was Posedion, who was the prime mover at the time of the Trojan war.

The haplogroup J2a (Y-DNA) had a strong presence in the Roman, Greek, and Phonetician (Canaanite) populations, and the spread of J2a through Europe and the Mediterranean has been contributed to the Roman Empire.

5-6 feet is pretty tall, I always get an impression (from their statue) that they would be somewhat shorter than the German but taller than the Gaul.

5'6" is 5 foot 6 inches.

I see that is interesting.

I still not quite sure if the Roman can be considered as the same race as Greek though. Base on many of the classic literature, Roman seem to always be able to distinguish itself from the Greek counterpart, even the Macedonians are not considered a Greek in the most strict sense.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2013 1:43:37 PM
At 10/12/2013 11:21:49 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:
At 10/9/2013 2:40:27 PM, DanT wrote:

2. The Punic.

5'6" is 5 foot 6 inches.

I see that is interesting.

I still not quite sure if the Roman can be considered as the same race as Greek though. Base on many of the classic literature, Roman seem to always be able to distinguish itself from the Greek counterpart, even the Macedonians are not considered a Greek in the most strict sense.

They are not hellenistic but they are the same race. The same way that the Irish and Scotts are the same race, but not the same culture.
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 12:39:54 AM
They are not hellenistic but they are the same race. The same way that the Irish and Scotts are the same race, but not the same culture.

If that is the case can we say that people of Italy (who are not of Nordic ancestry or Arab) can be consider closer representation of ancient Greek and Roman people than the Greek themselves (since the modern Greek is more of a christian Turk than a Greek, or may be it vise versa I don't know).
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 5:26:56 AM
At 10/14/2013 12:39:54 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:

If that is the case can we say that people of Italy (who are not of Nordic ancestry or Arab) can be consider closer representation of ancient Greek and Roman people than the Greek themselves (since the modern Greek is more of a christian Turk than a Greek, or may be it vise versa I don't know).

Italians are not Romans. With the expansion of the Roman Empire the citizenry of Rome extended to other ethnicities, such as the Gauls, and Germanic tribes. These ethnicities changed the Romans into Italians. Many Italians are more closely related to Gauls or the Germanic people than to the Romans. The Jews of Israel, while under Roman occupation, were effectively "Romans".
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2013 12:11:50 AM
At 10/14/2013 5:26:56 AM, DanT wrote:
At 10/14/2013 12:39:54 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:

Italians are not Romans. With the expansion of the Roman Empire the citizenry of Rome extended to other ethnicities, such as the Gauls, and Germanic tribes. These ethnicities changed the Romans into Italians. Many Italians are more closely related to Gauls or the Germanic people than to the Romans. The Jews of Israel, while under Roman occupation, were effectively "Romans".

I agree with you that modern day Italy would have more of a celtic-germanic influence than what they were during the Roman Empire. Actually, to say "Italian" would be a bit too vague in the first place, each of the specific town and region in Italy seem to make up of specific nation in their own self.

However, if the historical roman have characteristics as you described (5-6 feet tall, dark eyes and hairs, tan-light tan skin, eagle nose), the modern Italy seem to exhibit this sort of traits than the Greeks or Turks of Asia Minor and Peloponnese. This is from my personal experience only, but the southern Italian (Sicilian or Naple) seem to fit very mush to your description of ancient Roman people, the northern Italian despite having a lighter skin tone, would often have brown hair and almost always have those distinct eagle nose. Some are blond and look Germanic, but then again many of the Italian cities were Austrian provinces and so I guest it is natural that some of the people would be German.

I am trying to understand a physical characteristic of an ancient Italic people, so of course the Roman citizen from other part of the Empire like Jews of Jerusalem, Romano-British, Gallic Roman, and Greek Roman are not consider. The Punic is included because I think they are related to Italic people, sorry if that confuse you. They are among one of the first seafaring race of Mediterranean so I guest that it is quite possible that they would be among the first to discover Italia peninsular and settle down to become Italic people. Some of the Greek document indicate that they also discover the Italia peninsular but they also record that the people of Etruscan civilization has already established a settlement their, so it is clear to me that the ancient Italic people are not Greek (not Greek civilization, but perhaps they would have share the same genetic traits as you say).
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2013 10:55:46 AM
At 10/15/2013 5:25:30 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:
At 10/15/2013 3:28:50 AM, DanT wrote:
Here is a Mosaic of Alexander the Great
http://www.ancient.eu.com...
Here is a Mosaic of the Roman God Neptune
http://upload.wikimedia.org...

?

Those are mosaics from the time period depicting Greeks and Romans.
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2013 11:13:20 PM
At 10/15/2013 10:55:46 AM, DanT wrote:
At 10/15/2013 5:25:30 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:
At 10/15/2013 3:28:50 AM, DanT wrote:
Here is a Mosaic of Alexander the Great
http://www.ancient.eu.com...
Here is a Mosaic of the Roman God Neptune
http://upload.wikimedia.org...

?

Those are mosaics from the time period depicting Greeks and Romans.

Yes I know that, I just don't understand what are you trying to point out.

Do you means they look a bit differ from Italian now a day or similar?

Honestly, I can't tell mush by looking at mosaic picture, only thing I can tell is that Alexander has a red skin (which is not quite sure if that is genetic or sun tan from his campaign in the east). I did see some of the Roman statute that display a prominent Roman citizen like Caesar, Pompey, Augustus, Cicero they didn't look that different from modern Italian.