Jump to topic:

PatriotPerson Needs Help

PatriotPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2013 10:01:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'm trying to write a story themed in ww2...in a one-sentence summary, it's about a jew who goes all rebellious on the Nazis.

I need a LOT of help on concentration camps. I will ask questions to whoever can answer them in this thread.

-What should the title be?
-How strict was the security in concentration camps?
-Was it just Jews that were kept in them?
-Which camp should I base the story in?
-Do/did Jews have certain restrictions/rules against violence?
"Victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan" -JFK
"You all stink like poo poo" - Rich Davis
"That idea may just be crazy enough... TO GET US ALL KILLED!" -Squidward Tentacles
"My heart is always breaking for the ghosts that haunt this room." -Nate Ruess
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2013 10:30:25 PM
At 10/17/2013 10:01:02 PM, PatriotPerson wrote:
I'm trying to write a story themed in ww2...in a one-sentence summary, it's about a jew who goes all rebellious on the Nazis.

I need a LOT of help on concentration camps. I will ask questions to whoever can answer them in this thread.

Suggestion: A Jew Fights Back

Very strict. Very few people who attempted to escape got out. And of those that did, even fewer actually made it out of Germany.

Yes. Soviet POWs, homosexuals, Slavs, and Catholic Clergy were also kept in them.

Auschwitz or Treblinka.

Yes. Simply read Leviticus and other Old Testament books.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
PatriotPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2013 10:33:07 PM
At 10/17/2013 10:30:25 PM, Subutai wrote:

Very strict. Very few people who attempted to escape got out. And of those that did, even fewer actually made it out of Germany.

Yes. Soviet POWs, homosexuals, Slavs, and Catholic Clergy were also kept in them.

Auschwitz or Treblinka.

About the security thing, were the Guards on watch of every part 24/7?
About just being Jews, I thought they also held African Americans.
About violence, were they so strict as to being forbidden to killing, even to a Nazi?
"That idea may just be crazy enough... TO GET US ALL KILLED!" -Squidward Tentacles
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2013 10:38:47 PM
At 10/17/2013 10:33:07 PM, PatriotPerson wrote:
At 10/17/2013 10:30:25 PM, Subutai wrote:

Auschwitz or Treblinka.

About the security thing, were the Guards on watch of every part 24/7?

I'm positive they did.

Not really. There weren't a lot of Africans in Nazi-occupied Europe at the time, but yes, the Nazis did consider them racially inferior.
About violence, were they so strict as to being forbidden to killing, even to a Nazi?

No. Judaism is not a religion that forbids killing on the basis of self-defense.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
PatriotPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2013 10:43:09 PM
I'm positive they did.

Not really. There weren't a lot of Africans in Nazi-occupied Europe at the time, but yes, the Nazis did consider them racially inferior.

No. Judaism is not a religion that forbids killing on the basis of self-defense.

How many guards were on watch of each part? I'm thinking the main character could start some kind of riot, and leave amidst the commotion, then kill a Nazi, take his outfit and wear it, and then destroy the Nazi army from within, and eventually kill Hitler.

So I take it African Americans (or just Africans) weren't held in camps? I was thinking a black man could be a main character, do some pretty awesome stuff for the Jewish guy.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2013 10:49:14 PM

Dead in 60 seconds.

Depends on the specific camp, but in general there were armed guards around so security was pretty strict.

No.

Sorbibor.

There are rules against violence in general, but if you are referring to this situation Judaism allows one to kill someone who is going to kill them.
Debate.org Moderator
PatriotPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2013 10:52:25 PM
At 10/17/2013 10:49:14 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

Dead in 60 seconds.

Depends on the specific camp, but in general there were armed guards around so security was pretty strict.

No.

Sorbibor.

There are rules against violence in general, but if you are referring to this situation Judaism allows one to kill someone who is going to kill them.

Dead in 60 Seconds sounds pretty awesome.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2013 10:53:23 PM
Read up on Sorbibor (and watch the movie based on the events (Escape from Sorbibor). It's the closest thing you'll get to the type of story you are trying to come up.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2013 10:54:01 PM
At 10/17/2013 10:52:25 PM, PatriotPerson wrote:

Dead in 60 seconds.

No.

Sorbibor.

It implies a pretty short story though...
Debate.org Moderator
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2013 10:54:16 PM
At 10/17/2013 10:43:09 PM, PatriotPerson wrote:
I'm positive they did.

How many guards were on watch of each part? I'm thinking the main character could start some kind of riot, and leave amidst the commotion, then kill a Nazi, take his outfit and wear it, and then destroy the Nazi army from within, and eventually kill Hitler.

To be honest, I'm not sure. All I know is that out of the over 1 million who went there, only 800 even attempted to escape. Go figure the number of guards...
So I take it African Americans (or just Africans) weren't held in camps? I was thinking a black man could be a main character, do some pretty awesome stuff for the Jewish guy.

There were some African POWs who were sent to concentration camps.
PatriotPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2013 10:55:11 PM
At 10/17/2013 10:54:01 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 10/17/2013 10:52:25 PM, PatriotPerson wrote:

Dead in 60 seconds.

No.

Sorbibor.

It implies a pretty short story though...

Yes it does. And I think it might be too violent of a title, the story's also gonna have some drama.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2013 11:18:22 PM

Line of Death (as in the line that they couldn't cross to approach the fence)

Insanely--bearing in mind that they were guarding unarmed civilians and using an electric fence.

Eeesh. Unless it's a depressingly-ended story, I'd suggest perhaps making up a camp--and then at the end of the story explaining why the Germans "kept it quiet" or something along those lines. Something about using a real camp for a story like this seems tacky--but maybe I'm crazy.

You could always have a jewish person with their own interpretation--while it's not common doctrine, each religious person has their own opinion, after all.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 3:30:14 AM
At 10/17/2013 10:43:09 PM, PatriotPerson wrote:
I'm positive they did.

There are no evidences that the African or African American being hold in the camp. In fact, it is very doubtful if there were any African at all who live in Germany and not fled the country prior to WWII. However a concentration camp were also used to hold a POW, if your American character is by some mean join the Soviet as secret volunteer they would likely be hold there if captured.

If you want to write about Jewish resistant against Nazi, I suggest you read this

http://en.wikipedia.org...

it is not a concentration camp per se but it is a good material.