Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2013 8:24:20 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Talk about WWII.
"Victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan" -JFK
"You all stink like poo poo" - Rich Davis
"That idea may just be crazy enough... TO GET US ALL KILLED!" -Squidward Tentacles
"My heart is always breaking for the ghosts that haunt this room." -Nate Ruess
STALIN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 11:20:33 AM
At 10/23/2013 8:24:20 PM, PatriotPerson wrote:
Talk about WWII.
Most important battles of WWII in order

Battle of Stalingrad
Battle of Moscow
Battle of Britain
Battle of Kursk
LAQUAINE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 1:48:41 PM
I think WWII is the biggest and most influential war in history. The fighting and battles themselves aren't necessarily what I mean,but they were important:

One reason it was significant is because we saw an example of where being too diplomatic can be bad for avoiding war. Hitler moved his way through Europe claiming countries without a fight before Winston Churchill stepped up and fought back.

It also ended American isolationism in the Battle of Pearl Harbor and the letter from Germany to Mexico intercepted by Americans. America has since become a major world influence and one of the first countries in the UN. Whether all of this is a good or bad thing, it is nonetheless significant.

It also contained the start of the Soviet Union's influence and the spread of communism. Russia's involvement with the allies allowed it to get control of the freed countries and impose communism on them. Some of the governments that were created by Russia still exist today and play international roles.

The death toll was also highly significant as it majorly affects the populations of many countries and showed us how detrimental war can be. The effects on families individually affected the way people thought and made a large start to anti-war movements.

The unrestricted war was also significant. U-boats were supposed to be illegal during this time, but they were still used. Also the development of currently illegal weapons, such as flamethrowers, were developed, which created the call for the Geneva Convention. We showed how nasty humans can be when they fight. Biological warfare also got more popular.

Jews were also blamed for something... Again. They were persecuted... Again. Again the people who were of Jewish decent were discriminated. It seems to happen to them a lot. Especially around the 1400's. Why does everyone have such a problem with Jews.

What post about the significance of the war can go without mentioning nuclear bombs. For the first time we used nuclear bombs, and out of this came two things: nuclear energy and nuclear warfare. It wasn't just the Americans. Japan and Germany were creating nuclear bombs. We destroyed Germany's plant setting them too far behind to use nuclear bombs on us, and Japan just wasn't good at making them. Einstein's research put us ahead and we bombed two cities with the first nuclear bombs to be finished for use. Days later we accepted the surrender of Japan.

I could probably continue the list, but those are some of the things I can list off the top of my head as being significant effects of WWII. They're the reasons I would identify it as being the most influential war to this day.
Man of no scissors
STALIN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 2:07:33 PM
At 11/14/2013 1:48:41 PM, LAQUAINE wrote:
I think WWII is the biggest and most influential war in history. The fighting and battles themselves aren't necessarily what I mean,but they were important:

One reason it was significant is because we saw an example of where being too diplomatic can be bad for avoiding war. Hitler moved his way through Europe claiming countries without a fight before Winston Churchill stepped up and fought back.

It also ended American isolationism in the Battle of Pearl Harbor and the letter from Germany to Mexico intercepted by Americans. America has since become a major world influence and one of the first countries in the UN. Whether all of this is a good or bad thing, it is nonetheless significant.

It also contained the start of the Soviet Union's influence and the spread of communism. Russia's involvement with the allies allowed it to get control of the freed countries and impose communism on them. Some of the governments that were created by Russia still exist today and play international roles.

The death toll was also highly significant as it majorly affects the populations of many countries and showed us how detrimental war can be. The effects on families individually affected the way people thought and made a large start to anti-war movements.

The unrestricted war was also significant. U-boats were supposed to be illegal during this time, but they were still used. Also the development of currently illegal weapons, such as flamethrowers, were developed, which created the call for the Geneva Convention. We showed how nasty humans can be when they fight. Biological warfare also got more popular.

Jews were also blamed for something... Again. They were persecuted... Again. Again the people who were of Jewish decent were discriminated. It seems to happen to them a lot. Especially around the 1400's. Why does everyone have such a problem with Jews.

What post about the significance of the war can go without mentioning nuclear bombs. For the first time we used nuclear bombs, and out of this came two things: nuclear energy and nuclear warfare. It wasn't just the Americans. Japan and Germany were creating nuclear bombs. We destroyed Germany's plant setting them too far behind to use nuclear bombs on us, and Japan just wasn't good at making them. Einstein's research put us ahead and we bombed two cities with the first nuclear bombs to be finished for use. Days later we accepted the surrender of Japan.

I could probably continue the list, but those are some of the things I can list off the top of my head as being significant effects of WWII. They're the reasons I would identify it as being the most influential war to this day.

I believe that the letter intercepted from Germany to Mexico was in WWI, not WWII. It was called the Zimmerman code.

Otherwise I would agree with you about WWII being an influential conflict.
LAQUAINE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 3:58:17 PM
At 11/14/2013 2:07:33 PM, STALIN wrote:
At 11/14/2013 1:48:41 PM, LAQUAINE wrote:

I believe that the letter intercepted from Germany to Mexico was in WWI, not WWII. It was called the Zimmerman code.

Otherwise I would agree with you about WWII being an influential conflict.

You're right, sorry I got the two mixed up in my head on that one.
Man of no scissors